+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ipswich

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Again, with respect, I dismiss that as rubbish. For a start, in your general postings, coaching is absolutely unnecessary so on that basis it shouldn't matter if their only experience is with kids!

The fact is, the coaching strategy at al levels at the club are the same so graduation to the first team should be seamless. Of course, in reality this is not quite the case as when they come up against experienced players there is a period of adjustment as these lads make the step up. Which is another reason why youngsters are integrated gradually.
    To address your point about the wages we play, there is some merit in what you say although I would counter that by citing Porter, Green, Hunt and Nolan who would count as experienced professionals who seemed happy to come here.

I agree with you Timmy (you may sit down with shock) 😂 the club must retain an academy that provides players for the first team wether it needs to be cat 2 is a different question ? Coaching of footballers is long established although I do agree with Mike that a sprinkling of natural talent goes a long way also. I also agree with Timmy that a lot of the experienced players that have been brought to the club have been improved I think Porter is certainly a more rounded striker now than he when he came, Paul Green certainly improved at the club I suppose the counter to that might be Murphy who seems to have got worse but that all might have something to do with the individual themselves. I certainly don’t think we need to be ripping up the clubs strategy going forward after 1 truly poor season, but lessons do need to be learned and we move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I agree with you Timmy (you may sit down with shock) �� the club must retain an academy that provides players for the first team wether it needs to be cat 2 is a different question ? Coaching of footballers is long established although I do agree with Mike that a sprinkling of natural talent goes a long way also. I also agree with Timmy that a lot of the experienced players that have been brought to the club have been improved I think Porter is certainly a more rounded striker now than he when he came, Paul Green certainly improved at the club I suppose the counter to that might be Murphy who seems to have got worse but that all might have something to do with the individual themselves. I certainly don’t think we need to be ripping up the clubs strategy going forward after 1 truly poor season, but lessons do need to be learned and we move on.
    I very much doubt whether Porter was made a better player here as he was scoring goals before by the same technique and he scored loads of goals from pens. Of course we need to change the academy structure where non playing staff are in vast numbers compared with the players. There. is no way experienced players can be 'coached' to play better. Jimmy Greaves shows how to score goals and you don't need ten years academy training to see all that in a couple of hours on the internet. It doesn't bother me what they do tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I agree with you Timmy (you may sit down with shock) �� the club must retain an academy that provides players for the first team wether it needs to be cat 2 is a different question ? Coaching of footballers is long established although I do agree with Mike that a sprinkling of natural talent goes a long way also. I also agree with Timmy that a lot of the experienced players that have been brought to the club have been improved I think Porter is certainly a more rounded striker now than he when he came, Paul Green certainly improved at the club I suppose the counter to that might be Murphy who seems to have got worse but that all might have something to do with the individual themselves. I certainly don’t think we need to be ripping up the clubs strategy going forward after 1 truly poor season, but lessons do need to be learned and we move on.
    Fortunately I was sat down although I did feel a bit faint for a few minutes.
    Porter may well have become a more rounded player during his time at Crewe, but regarding Paul Green, I think he improved us rather than the other way round. Murphy is a different kettle of fish. Doubtless a good player, not as quick as he was of course but I think it a little unfair to say he has got worse since coming back. I think he has suffered through being in a poor team and he has been expected to play in a rather different way than when he was here before, possibly due to his own abilities or more likely due to those around him.
    I believe the club to be in good shape off the field and as ever is the case, when things are right behind the scenes things improve on the pitch. We are a League 1/League 2 club and it is unlikely to ever be any different but it is important that we don't go the same way as Bury, Derby, Oldham and Macclesfield

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Fortunately I was sat down although I did feel a bit faint for a few minutes.
    Porter may well have become a more rounded player during his time at Crewe, but regarding Paul Green, I think he improved us rather than the other way round. Murphy is a different kettle of fish. Doubtless a good player, not as quick as he was of course but I think it a little unfair to say he has got worse since coming back. I think he has suffered through being in a poor team and he has been expected to play in a rather different way than when he was here before, possibly due to his own abilities or more likely due to those around him.
    I believe the club to be in good shape off the field and as ever is the case, when things are right behind the scenes things improve on the pitch. We are a League 1/League 2 club and it is unlikely to ever be any different but it is important that we don't go the same way as Bury, Derby, Oldham and Macclesfield
    Any idea why some clubs go that way? Money, money, money... And we are spending far more than we are getting in transfer fees as the last big one was a few years ago and the other thing that some fans are not getting, including the BOD is times have changed where we now see academy graduates as looking elsewhere and not signing contract extensions as they used to..How on earth did Derby ever afford to pay vast sums of money to their managers? Midfielders have to be very agile players and will always suffer if they are on the oldish side...I expect him to get another contract..

Jimmy Greaves.
    Joined Tottenham 1961
    Bill Nicholson.
    Retired as a player 1955 and took FA coaching course to become first team coach 1955-1958.
    Manager 1958 - 1974
    I think it’s safe to assume that he would have appointed a coach on his promotion to manager, or possibly continued to coach himself.
    Jimmy would have been one of the recipients of that coaching.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234