+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl

Ta Bry. I also got shot of my main hi-fi system when I got shot of the vinyl and now dream of getting my Marantz and Denon gear back, though I reckon those days have gone. Nowadays I’m looking forward to putting a bigger telly through a decent AV receiver which also has a pre-amp arrangement to take a turntable and can work in 2.1 rather that having speakers all over the room when I want it to. That’s the future, and I’ll probably upgrade from my Pioneer deck to a Rega or similar.

I know what you mean about the vinyl. I started trying to get the first pressings and even bought a magnifying light to help see the run-off etchings. Then I got fed up with the price premiums so just got what was available if it looked in good nick and that’s a more pocket-friendly way of doing it. I’ve also bought a couple of new pressings which do sound better than the vintage stuff, probably because the older ones would benefit from a clean. I’m not spending £400 plus for a decent record cleaner though. So I’ll stick to looking in charity shops (I’ve picked up a couple of decent Moody Blues LPs in Oxfam in Keswick recently) and on EBay. It’s pot luck really.

Are you in the trade then Bry?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Ta Bry. I also got shot of my main hi-fi system when I got shot of the vinyl and now dream of getting my Marantz and Denon gear back, though I reckon those days have gone. Nowadays I’m looking forward to putting a bigger telly through a decent AV receiver which also has a pre-amp arrangement to take a turntable and can work in 2.1 rather that having speakers all over the room when I want it to. That’s the future, and I’ll probably upgrade from my Pioneer deck to a Rega or similar.

I know what you mean about the vinyl. I started trying to get the first pressings and even bought a magnifying light to help see the run-off etchings. Then I got fed up with the price premiums so just got what was available if it looked in good nick and that’s a more pocket-friendly way of doing it. I’ve also bought a couple of new pressings which do sound better than the vintage stuff, probably because the older ones would benefit from a clean. I’m not spending £400 plus for a decent record cleaner though. So I’ll stick to looking in charity shops (I’ve picked up a couple of decent Moody Blues LPs in Oxfam in Keswick recently) and on EBay. It’s pot luck really.

Are you in the trade then Bry?
    Not 'in the trade' so to speak, but I 'dabble' a bit and have sold quite a bit of vinyl over the years.
    I basically stumbled upon 'selling' a few years ago by selling some of my old stuff at a car boot................aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh for £1.50 each. After that I realised that they were selling for crazy prices on ebay and elsewhere. Thankfully some of the stuff I had held back and I checked them out more thoroughly and that's where it all started.
    However making serious money out of it is pretty hard, as there is an enormous amount of rubbish about, finding good records in fantastic condition is getting rarer, there are loads of sharks in this game and there seems to be more and more people who have suddenly jumped on the bandwagon. I recently went to an auction (purely vinyl and Cds) there were around 250 lots, I put bids in on at least 50 items and I didn't win ONE single lot, the prices were crazy!!!!!
    Anyway, still all good fun if you have the time.
    COYB
    Bry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)