+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln

Think you got your figures wrong for our completely ESSENTIAL coaches plus the multitude of others. My estimate would be at least £220k fpr the five..

Have to say I do not share the same confidence of other posters on here. I do sincerely hope that they are correct and I am wrong.

This season I have attended a number of our under23 games and in most cases they have been absolutely woeful in every football basics. Each game on average is attended by at least 10 coaches/backroom staff and TBH not one of them appeared to show any interest or concern about the dreadful standards. In the game against Charlton I was so angry with their bahaviour and attitude. Will save that for another post. I believe that a massive clear out of our backroom staff is essential if we are to get out of this negative rut

To select Finney for any game gives me no confidence. To include Ainley, Finney, and Lowery in our midfield who are all completely lacking in the the physical strength to compete in League1 or 2 gives me no confidence.

By the sound of the RS commentary we weakly conceded the game

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Hi Mike. How did the operation go, are you now up and raring to go?
    Hi mate, just noticed your email. It went OK thank you and I have felt pretty rough over the last few weeks but it was a major heart op and so can be expected really..Raring to go? Hope so!

Take care,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Think you got your figures wrong for our completely ESSENTIAL coaches plus the multitude of others. My estimate would be at least £220k fpr the five..

Have to say I do not share the same confidence of other posters on here. I do sincerely hope that they are correct and I am wrong.

This season I have attended a number of our under23 games and in most cases they have been absolutely woeful in every football basics. Each game on average is attended by at least 10 coaches/backroom staff and TBH not one of them appeared to show any interest or concern about the dreadful standards. In the game against Charlton I was so angry with their bahaviour and attitude. Will save that for another post. I believe that a massive clear out of our backroom staff is essential if we are to get out of this negative rut

To select Finney for any game gives me no confidence. To include Ainley, Finney, and Lowery in our midfield who are all completely lacking in the the physical strength to compete in League1 or 2 gives me no confidence.

By the sound of the RS commentary we weakly conceded the game
    My feelings too my friend.

Its why we can ditch most of the academy staff and revert back to a basic academy like most other clubs lower league and national. The whole point was to see late ****agers and over play this game and select them on merit and not have to wait ten years to ditch most of them which is a bit rediculous. I agree more with you financial estimate and why appoint the managers so early? Why not give them ten games which could be renewed but all clubs in the PL fall for the same con by giving three year contracts which rarely lasts which cost them all millions in compensation. I mean what do we need with an assistant manager for or a player development manager etc? Surely the manager cannot be that busy he can't see his own players in training?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    When I heard we have a manager, an assistant manager and three other management names mentioned who were all at the game then we have surely lost the plot when all we need is ONE manager not FIVE managers and how much of those non producers cost the club in wages? Lets say a conservative 30K each and that is 150 grand right there...I suspect its a lot more than that?

I said we would appoint the same old faces and guess we will get the same old results next season...The manager said he will talk to everyone and so we are getting a committee in charge of each game then?
    Mike, you really do need to drag yourself out of the 1950s/1960s. The size of these operations could not be managed by one person. The first team manager is responsible for the first team and nothing more. The various teams in the unders are managed separately by managers appointed by the board of directors and they are expected to work in a similar way to the first team manager to maintain continuity. Maybe you would prefer one man doing everything, but how sustainable do you think that would be? And where do you draw the line? Manager cutting the grass on the pitch every week? Serving the tea/coffee at the kiosk?

You say we have gone with the policy of appointing the same old faces. Well, I think it is the right way to go. Never mind the salary of the individual contrasted with bringing in an experienced lower league manager with no guarantee of success.
    It would not surprise me if the Academy has saved us more than it has cost us over the duration of its existence because we will have had fewer players on (relatively) big wages, which will have given us a n element of freedom to bring in some decent quality players on a slightly higher wage.
    Because of the way we do things I am confident we will have a club to support for the remainder of my lifetime and beyond. It may not ever be challenging for the Premiership (no bad thing in my opinion), we may struggle to even get to the championship. But that doesn't mean we won't see some good football and some good times.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    When I heard we have a manager, an assistant manager and three other management names mentioned who were all at the game then we have surely lost the plot when all we need is ONE manager not FIVE managers and how much of those non producers cost the club in wages? Lets say a conservative 30K each and that is 150 grand right there...I suspect its a lot more than that?

I said we would appoint the same old faces and guess we will get the same old results next season...The manager said he will talk to everyone and so we are getting a committee in charge of each game then?
    Mike - have you any idea how many people other teams have on their sidelines, whether or not they have an academy? Every visitor this year has had at least as many as us, & I'm sure Lincoln did yesterday. It's the modern world mate.

Hope you're doing OK health wise of course!

I accept that there is a need for more coaches and support staff than there used to be, but I have suggested before that a thorough review is carried out of the Academy set up including staffing and financing. The financial model agreed with Dario is surely in need of review and we are hardly selling million Pound players any more. Are the Academy graduates really prepared to the level of the modern first team requirements? Having seen a number of them this season, I am really not so sure they are. Has the Academy structure and training methodology really changed sufficiently with the times?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Mike, you really do need to drag yourself out of the 1950s/1960s. The size of these operations could not be managed by one person. The first team manager is responsible for the first team and nothing more. The various teams in the unders are managed separately by managers appointed by the board of directors and they are expected to work in a similar way to the first team manager to maintain continuity. Maybe you would prefer one man doing everything, but how sustainable do you think that would be? And where do you draw the line? Manager cutting the grass on the pitch every week? Serving the tea/coffee at the kiosk?

You say we have gone with the policy of appointing the same old faces. Well, I think it is the right way to go. Never mind the salary of the individual contrasted with bringing in an experienced lower league manager with no guarantee of success.
    It would not surprise me if the Academy has saved us more than it has cost us over the duration of its existence because we will have had fewer players on (relatively) big wages, which will have given us a n element of freedom to bring in some decent quality players on a slightly higher wage.
    Because of the way we do things I am confident we will have a club to support for the remainder of my lifetime and beyond. It may not ever be challenging for the Premiership (no bad thing in my opinion), we may struggle to even get to the championship. But that doesn't mean we won't see some good football and some good times.
    We have all seen some great football over the years but its very easy to get carried away with the latest fad and having thousands of non players on the side lines is imo just that. Bill Nicholson was the ONLY manager of Spurs when they won the double and he actually controlled everything. Frank Blunstone and others cleaned their own football boots etc. I will accept players today are fitter than the old days but the facilities and pitches were dire too. I mean when we can go almost 90 mins with hardly any attempts on goal is when the plot has been lost. Thing is academies teach or train or OK coach individual talent is when on the pitch they just pass the ball between them and how many players today do you see take on players and head for goal etc?

Football has been around for centuries and acadamies just what 30 years? I cannot agree we see or I see better football than we used to...We can have after school football practice without the need for all these managers who cost the earth while we starve the first team with funds.

All the best everyone.

Think you are banging your head against a brick wall Timmy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Think you are banging your head against a brick wall Timmy.
    I agree Jimmy. Sadly some people can't move with the times. Football is a vastly different game now, more of a business in fact and I don't necessarily see that as a good thing. But there is little I can do about it. Premiership football, tv and grossly inflated pay for the top players brought about by tv money does little for the game any lower than mid table championship. No club even at the level of Nantwich Town are managed by one person.

We had the Bill Nicholson reference, but sadly missed out on a shout out for Jimmy Greaves.
    I do agree with Mike that JG was possibly the most naturally talented goal scorer ever. But, that was him playing in his era. How would he have coped in the modern game? Would he have to adapt? Would he need advice from someone looking on from the touch line, and then perhaps practice that in training sessions? Oh, is that coaching?
    As i said in a previous post, Bill N was a qualified coach as manager of Spurs. But to fit the narrative, he probably never had a word of advice for Jimmy as it wouldn’t have been needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast