+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lincoln

You don't need to be wrong when you want to revert back to arguably greater times in the past. And its not a case of banging heads against walls or anything like that. Money has indeed ruined football. I would not accept watching PL football for free no matter who was playing. Why do we need FIVE managers at League 4 when in the old days we used to have just one? also most people paid on the gate back then which would have taken more time than now with bank cards etc. OK answer this please? What IS the purpose of an assistant manager standing next to the manager in the tech area? DA thought it was fine sitting in the stand half the game.

Of course all the people employed in all these jobs think they are needed...Well, what a surprise!...KL is the so called 'player development manager'....doing what exactly for 40 hours a week? It was Dario that told me that the main problem with the new level of academies was the amount of time the coaches were spending on the computers and not actually on the pitches...Was he wrong? I suspect that the only or main reason we are sticking with Cat2 is the FA/PL are funding it which the Chairman alluded to in his speech the other day as no way could we afford a million pound a season funding ourselves..

In the old days players were picked on their ability to play and not whether they would fit in 10 years later after millions spent on academies and not just that...How many PL academy players go on to play in their first team? Last time I looked it was about 5%....great success there then!..

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    We had the Bill Nicholson reference, but sadly missed out on a shout out for Jimmy Greaves.
    I do agree with Mike that JG was possibly the most naturally talented goal scorer ever. But, that was him playing in his era. How would he have coped in the modern game? Would he have to adapt? Would he need advice from someone looking on from the touch line, and then perhaps practice that in training sessions? Oh, is that coaching?
    As i said in a previous post, Bill N was a qualified coach as manager of Spurs. But to fit the narrative, he probably never had a word of advice for Jimmy as it wouldn’t have been needed.
    Correct re JG who said his manager just told him to enjoy himself when he went off to play golf! JG would have coped just fine like Messi did with his clubs...I accept he was a one off special but like Rooney, he was picked when he scored tons of goals like all clubs picked players back then. Indeed like we did and you know we stopped looking at players from the outside due to our academy set up which in fairness the club have acknowledged which is good and may make a difference to us....

Well, that didn't last long, did it?🥱

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Well, that didn't last long, did it?��
    Yes Gazan…yawn is the correct stance to take.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123