+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye Tony and thankyou

Bye Tony and thankyou

Thankyou for giving stability to the club but that's just it,a man to keep the ship afloat but no more than that.
    We need a bright young manager(agree with you champs)to take us forward.
    Mowbray isn't that man and never will be.
    Thanks for what you have done but it isn't a sad goodbye but one of relief,even if venkys probably still don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Thankyou for giving stability to the club but that's just it,a man to keep the ship afloat but no more than that.
    We need a bright young manager(agree with you champs)to take us forward.
    Mowbray isn't that man and never will be.
    Thanks for what you have done but it isn't a sad goodbye but one of relief,even if venkys probably still don't have a clue.
    We wont attract a young decent manager. Quite the opposite. The whole medical staff have left to Leipzig. And Man City Womens team. The head of football is leaving. The manager is leaving. Who got us to 8th. Our highest finish in over a decade. Half the better players are now out of contact. Brereton is leaving.
    He wasnt keeping us afloat. He was doing as good a job as he could. For a club our size and debt and support. And pushing us the higher positions in the league.
    No of course we wont attract a young good manager. It's a huge job with debt, contacts loss of the whole internal structure. And no money to attract a whole new set of staff.

People just see Mowbray leaving. He wasnt the problem. But you will all see how bad things will get soon enough. If you eats unhappy with 8th in the Champ. You are going to hate not being able to get out of Div 1 for years. As things are now going to get alot worse quickly.
    I would say relegation next season is a certainty.
    Mowbray did a tremendous job with very little money and more importantly he sorted us out internally. Watch and see how quickly all that good work is undone. And you will now get to see what a bad manager looks like.
    Promotion was never ever something we where good enough for. Very few clubs at this level are. And if they do go up. They are normally straight back down. So thats a tiny percentage who actually achieve success at our level. Which only means they are back with 12 months. And the same sides go back up. As only money talks at this level. We have none. And the 3rd smallest attendance. So if Mowbray is being judged a failure based on no promotion to the Champ I find that mental. 99% of managers fail massively. Every season.
    Now we get lumbered with some has been journeyman nobody who will turn up. Be clueless and get us relegated. If you didht like being 8th. You will hate this next part.

The first few names linked are interst9ng. Forest Greens manager also managed England under 16's and 18's. Very good track record. Improves young players. And a great win average as a manager. Around 62%. That ls exactly what we need next. Lower league. Fresh ideas and hungry to succeed. But the main one ....a manager who can get the best out of players. Something Mowbray lacked. And I felt he confused the players with too many different tactics that never quite worked.
    The other is Swindons manager. Young again and has a 48% win rate. Is currently getting a tune out of a pretty average side. The emphasis again on young with fresh ideas.

The key to alot of this is what happens when they start losing a few games? As Mowbray was never good enough for almost all our dwindling fanbase. Every time we lost he was turned on and blamed. Most wanted him out years ago. Once a new young manager is welcome in. How fast do people decide it's all his fault? Like with Mowbray. A couple of months at most the next man will be inexplicably blamed for us having no chance of going up. Because Blackburn fans inexplicably expect their club to win promotion. Or at least the play offs. When in reality they have never been close since Bowyer was here and we had alot of money a decent squad & Rhodes & Gestede scoring 48 goals. And we still failed then. I do wonder who is actually the problem here. And just hie fast they will all turn on the next manager. I'd suggest after a couple of defeats very early on.

I like you phill but you change your mind more than I change my underwear.
    Mowbray in,out,shake it all about.
    Yes he did a decent job under the circumstances but he was also a stubborn mule.
    If he had changed in what he was doing just a few weeks ago,we wouldn't be talking about missing out but talking about getting in to the play offs.
    Which is absolutely amazing considering what we had players wise.
    8th is a good finishing position considering,we were expecting to finish far far lower but this doesn't paper over another spectacular collapse under mowbray.
    He refuses to change things,until its too late and his square pegs in round holes mentality,drives me up the wall.
    Yes I am aware we could well spiral into a nosedive but that's not a given.
    Under mowbray we will always be mid table fodder,talking about the same post Christmas collapse,year on year.
    Do we stick with him until he is carried away in a coffin,through the fear of what ifs?

I like you phill but you change your mind more than I change my underwear.
    Mowbray in,out,shake it all about.
    Yes he did a decent job under the circumstances but he was also a stubborn mule.
    If he had changed in what he was doing just a few weeks ago,we wouldn't be talking about missing out but talking about getting in to the play offs.
    Which is absolutely amazing considering what we had players wise.
    8th is a good finishing position considering,we were expecting to finish far far lower but this doesn't paper over another spectacular collapse under mowbray.
    He refuses to change things,until its too late and his square pegs in round holes mentality,drives me up the wall.
    Yes I am aware we could well spiral into a nosedive but that's not a given.
    Under mowbray we will always be mid table fodder,talking about the same post Christmas collapse,year on year.
    Do we stick with him until he is carried away in a coffin,through the fear of what ifs?
    All I am suggesting is simply, this ...8th...maybe as good as it gets. Why on earth would anyone expect us to.
    Not sure we are in a strong position to be making a change now anyway.
    I was bored with Mowbray. I am not sad to see him go.
    But equally, things could get alot worse, very quickly if they get the next manager wrong. I have little faith they will based on their previous record.
    Personally, I think we fell away this season, because Mowbray let it be known behind the scenes that he was leaving at the end of the season back in Jan. That had a huge effect on the players, and we fell away.
    Now I have had time to reflect and not be as knee jerk, which we are all guilty of, I dont feel we ever dropped off the edge of a cliff like it was suggested. Having watched football a long time, it was just a case we where never good enough to be in the top 2. Or the top 6. It was a false position. We ended up back around where we normally finish.
    I do believe people saw 2nd, dreamed of promotion and judged him on that fall away. Which is all I am suggesting.

If we get another manager and perform the same, which I think would be a miracle, would we all decide early on he is crap, we are mid table fodder and turn on him?
    As very little will change. Only the scapegoat has now left the building. How long do we wait to blame where we are as a club on the new boss? A few games? Until we lose?

Thing is champs this is nothing new with mowbray.
    It's not a 1 off,a fluke ending to a promising season.
    Last season we plummeted,this season the same.
    Middlesbrough,2 seasons the same and let's not forget at Coventry also.
    With a very good team.
    I too share the concerns of what next especially with a brand new backroom and possibly a new chief at the top.
    Dramatic changes top to bottom,with the concern that venkys have history in getting it so wrong.

Thing is champs this is nothing new with mowbray.
    It's not a 1 off,a fluke ending to a promising season.
    Last season we plummeted,this season the same.
    Middlesbrough,2 seasons the same and let's not forget at Coventry also.
    With a very good team.
    I too share the concerns of what next especially with a brand new backroom and possibly a new chief at the top.
    Dramatic changes top to bottom,with the concern that venkys have history in getting it so wrong.
    Just an example here, not having a go ....what exactly would change if Hughton came in? Or someone excatly like Hughton (which makes up 98% of this division)
    I see more of the same with 98% of the same managers in this division, all failing. Big time. All doing the same things, all saying the same things, all failing to get a side promoted, unless you are a club with parachute payments. then you will yo-yo between the 2 divisions.
    Luton who are about to get in the play offs and truly believe they are going up, just lost 7-0 in a big ***** match, to Fulham. That's the gulf between sides at THIS level. No wonder none manage to stay up long.
    A flawed division where a play-off side loses 7-0.
    We will no doubt end up with some crap like Hughton and then spend years picking up the pieces.
    Coventry City have never been close to the play offs, so he must have done a better job than any other Cov manager in over a decade. And Boro? Don't they do that almost every season? Fail to make the play offs with a decent enough side?
    Wilder ex Prem manager is about to fail in EXACTLY the same way has Mowbray. I do think your being very harsh on him. He is no different to the vast majority. All we are doing is getting rid of one, to replace with another excatly the same. And folk will expect things to change. At Cov & Boro neither club have improved after he left. Just more of the same.

I think what I am looking at is the dramatic way we fall.
    You are probably right in the end result regardless but our hopes are dramatically raised to watch us go 3 months in free fall.
    I am watching this scenario unfold with gritted teeth.
    Venkys are not the best to allow make a big decision like this,at the same time mowbray has just about out stayed his welcome.
    We are goosed either way.

I think what I am looking at is the dramatic way we fall.
    You are probably right in the end result regardless but our hopes are dramatically raised to watch us go 3 months in free fall.
    I am watching this scenario unfold with gritted teeth.
    Venkys are not the best to allow make a big decision like this,at the same time mowbray has just about out stayed his welcome.
    We are goosed either way.
    did you ever feel they where good enough to be 2nd? I don't think they where ever the 2nd best side in the league. So I feel the fact they fell from that spot, is being looked into way too much. Had they started the season with 7 defeats out of 8 games like Forest not one person would have been happy. Forest where midtable in Jan.
    You dont win promotion in Jan. So it was irrelevant to achieve that position then. People looked at the table in Jan and saw promotion, which baffles me.
    I really am not bothered that Mowbray has left. But people are talking like this will be a fresh start. A move in a different direction.
    Yes move on past Mowbray, but do not replace him with another Mowbray. Which I can see happening.
    Yes his time was up. No doubt. But if all we will do is go employ another one exactly the same I see no point.
    Almost all the sides in this division are Hughtons, Pearsons, Wilders ....all exactly the same and no better than who we had.

No, this next part requires some good football knowledge from decent football people. So that's us fkd.

Confirmation that he is going.
    Now the interesting bit,will venkys use common sense and thought or go for the cheapest option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)