+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained list and transfer targets

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It must be hard justifying the cost of running an academy. Particularly in today’s world where gaps in the squad can be filled with loan players.
    I don't know the exact cost of running an Academy in the EFL. ( how would I?).

I do know the Premier League funds a lot with cash and grants
    Back in January 2021 Rotherham United received £430k towards running the Academy and £135k for Community projects.
    In total Millers received over £1.2M in funding from the Premier League that particular season.

Thanks to all the released players, thanks for the memories and good luck for the future.

.... UP...THE...MILLERS...

It must be hard justifying the cost of running an academy. Particularly in today’s world where gaps in the squad can be filled with loan players.
    It would be even harder to justify if we end up paying a fee for 1 of them in the next 3 to 5 years. Stranger things have happened!

Bit late to the retained list news but the decisions that have been made all make sense. To me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Bit late to the retained list news but the decisions that have been made all make sense. To me anyway.
    The one player I'm really sorry to see go is Joe Mattock, top player for us IMO, especially at championship level, before he started to have long spells on the treatment table, fantastic left sided player for us and good luck Joe wherever you end up. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    The one player I'm really sorry to see go is Joe Mattock, top player for us IMO, especially at championship level, before he started to have long spells on the treatment table, fantastic left sided player for us and good luck Joe wherever you end up. UTM
    Every dog has his day and he stopped woofing some time ago. Had a good career though and did fine with us.

Its mentioned that other players need 4 or 5 games to get match for. Joe's biggest problem was 3 games then injured so past 2 seasons he's never been match fit. Tbh I never remember a game where he's let us down. Ok he's had a few 6/10 games.

Every dog has his day and he stopped woofing some time ago. Had a good career though and did fine with us.
    Exactly my point Grist, I wasn't at all suggesting we should have kept him because I agree with the decision to release him, but maybe even Joe himself will agree he played some of the best matches of his career with us and I still think that even allowing for his last 18 months injury woes he could do a big job for someone else. UTM

Pretty much. Good luck to Joe but definitely the right time to move on. Can't have another season of 'I wonder if we can get a game out of Mattock sometime soon' to be disappointed when he is injured after half and hour and out for another month.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Pretty much. Good luck to Joe but definitely the right time to move on. Can't have another season of 'I wonder if we can get a game out of Mattock sometime soon' to be disappointed when he is injured after half and hour and out for another month.
    Yes MT that's basically as I see it, but he's been a real top signing for us that's for sure. UTM

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast