+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Considine

Agree that if fit he would be a better option than either of the current CH pairing but I do feel he shot himself in the foot when he wouldn’t accept what sounded like a very reasonable deal.

Anyway here’s hoping he gets on for a farewell in the last game .

Considine was caught out for being extremely greedy. Quite rightly told that no contract would now be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Considine was caught out for being extremely greedy. Quite rightly told that no contract would now be offered.
    That seems a credible summation. I did hear from a reliable contact that there’s more to this than just the headline, and that further insights from the player’s viewpoint are likely to emerge once his current contract has expired (30 June is the usual date).

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    That seems a credible summation. I did hear from a reliable contact that there’s more to this than just the headline, and that further insights from the player’s viewpoint are likely to emerge once his current contract has expired (30 June is the usual date).
    Possibly had a gentlemans agreement with someone at the club, as to a new deal, which was reneged on when JG came to the club.

Considine has shot himself in the foot….what a daft lad.

I do like the way JG has handled this , I think we’ve probably been a bit too nice for too long in these kind of situations.

A fully fit Considine may well have made a difference to how season 21/22 panned out and he could well have played a part in 22/23 now he’s back from injury but unfortunately, probably more for him than the club , we will never know.

I’ve nothing against Considine , anyone who puts in that many appearances over such a long career with the same club undoubtedly deserves a bit of recognition. I’m sure he’ll get a run out against St Mirren on the last day to say his farewells.

A good servant of the club through some pretty mediocre times it has to be said and I think he’s a fair bit away from being called a club legend or hall of famer.

I've a lot of time for Considine but I agree that Goodwin needs to take this approach.

We've been soft for far too long.

Considine's injury was a different matter but we've often looked like we're running a hospital instead of a football club.

A fair few of the permanently injured have been s'hite in the first place, get shot of any hangers on.

I fear that these seemingly hard-line approaches could have a negative impact on the current squad and those who JG might seek to recruit in some of their places, especially as he has no great pedigree as a player, or indeed as a Manager to date. Footballers, rightly or wrongly, are mollycoddled these days and Managers now need to be finely attuned to the needs and expectations of the players off the park as much as they do on team setup and tactics on match day, as unhappy players rarely give 100%. Too many players singly don’t look happy judging by their body language. Time will tell.

^^^^This might be true. At the end of 94-95, one of our senior suits told me that Aitken got more out of a squad that should never have been anywhere NEAR relegation (f*** YOU, Jutes) because he treated each player differently, according to their temperament. Willie played the hard man with them all, and when challenged and asked to think about changing his approach at the final meeting, said there was no other way, and got his P45. The atmosphere inside the ground changed overnight, apparently.

I hope Goodwin has a more varied approach, but his comments so far about fitness and character etc, and little about finesse and his tactical approach, are a bit too reminiscent of Jock Wallace, and make me fear that he wants us to play like Motherwell or the Masons. What an unsavoury prospect if that’s true.

that he wants us to play like Motherwell or the Masons. What an unsavoury prospect if that’s true.
    It’s all he knows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast