+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An ugly (if unlikely) scenario

An ugly (if unlikely) scenario

We play Hibs at Fester Road on Saturday. As a thought experiment lets assume we lose. St J play Ferranti and assume by some fluke they win.

We then play St J in Perth. Keeping the (hopefully unlikely) negative assumption going, we lose.

We are then down to a final day where we need a point against St Midden or for St J to drop a point agains Hibs.

If I have that (hopefully unlikely scenario given St J have played their easier 2 of their 5 games and won only 1 point) right that would certainly be squeaky bum time.

At the least, a point at Fester Road would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    We play Hibs at Fester Road on Saturday. As a thought experiment lets assume we lose. St J play Ferranti and assume by some fluke they win.

We then play St J in Perth. Keeping the (hopefully unlikely) negative assumption going, we lose.

We are then down to a final day where we need a point against St Midden or for St J to drop a point agains Hibs.

If I have that (hopefully unlikely scenario given St J have played their easier 2 of their 5 games and won only 1 point) right that would certainly be squeaky bum time.

At the least, a point at Fester Road would be nice.
    Don’t overthink things. It’s a football forum, not mastermind.

That seems like an incredibly convoluted way of saying we are 8 points ahead with three games to go.....

In Jimmy two wins we trust!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrooky View Post
    Don’t overthink things. It’s a football forum, not mastermind.
    I wouldn't have thought that thinking about our teams next three matches, in the circumstance of the order of the games and that we only seem to be able to score via the penalty spot, was "overthinking things".

Hardly "mastermind" stuff and definitely appropriate for a football forum.

There's no way that St j are winning at both Almondvale and Easter Road plus we haven't lost in Perth since 2016 so I think we can all relax a bit. For what it's worth I think we will draw with Hibs on Saturday anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    There's no way that St j are winning at both Almondvale and Easter Road plus we haven't lost in Perth since 2016 so I think we can all relax a bit. For what it's worth I think we will draw with Hibs on Saturday anyway
    I did say an unlikely scenario but a possibility nonetheless. Us not having lost in Perth since 2016 is irrelevant given our current form and lack of goals except pens. Our fragile defence against a team fighting to have a chance to stay in the division is a concern. (Assuming this is still an issue for us by then.)

I do agree that St J winning at both Legoland and Fester Road is a slim chance.

Much happier if we can get at least a draw against hiv's.

Ach keep the faith , we are only one point behind Motherwell in 6th………

Right, masterminds.

I canna be arsed working this out but the EE keeps saying that we're 8 points ahead with 3 to play, but when you factor in goal difference then we're safe.

How does goal difference come into play in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Right, masterminds.

I canna be arsed working this out but the EE keeps saying that we're 8 points ahead with 3 to play, but when you factor in goal difference then we're safe.

How does goal difference come into play in this scenario?
    Okay here goes.

The only way goal difference comes into play is if we draw one and lose two of our last three games and St J win all three of theirs. Even then our two defeats and their three wins would have to be by a combined 20 goals hence why "it's worth a point".

Bottom line is that EE is speaking sh1te as usual as we are not mathematically safe. Having said that St J are not getting three wins and we are not losing all three games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast