+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retained list.

Retained list.

So Murph leaves but Gomes stays!!! I realise that this is due to who is still in contract but I know which I'd prefer to be staying. With no Lowery or Murphy and only Tabiner, Gomes, Griffiths, Finney and Ainley in midfield, we definitely need at least 3 experienced heads.
    I also note that Travis, Williams and Salisbury have yet to sign. If they do, we will have a squad of 23 before recruitment. How many more can the budget allow for?
    So what about Travis? He can't have signed so should he be given a chance to sign or should he be given an ultimatum?

I watched the manager explain this with McGarry and I was impressed with his replies and think he will be OK as he has got rid of players old and new and even made the case that the most disapointed were the academy lads that were let go having been here for possibly ten years and well known to him. That must have been a huge wrench for both parties. I think having a new recruitment team will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So Murph leaves but Gomes stays!!! I realise that this is due to who is still in contract but I know which I'd prefer to be staying. With no Lowery or Murphy and only Tabiner, Gomes, Griffiths, Finney and Ainley in midfield, we definitely need at least 3 experienced heads.
    I also note that Travis, Williams and Salisbury have yet to sign. If they do, we will have a squad of 23 before recruitment. How many more can the budget allow for?
    So what about Travis? He can't have signed so should he be given a chance to sign or should he be given an ultimatum?
    Its always a problem when you have a player, or in our case 3 players, who are still under contract who will probably not be playing much next season and the likes of Murphy get released. Its unfortunate and we do have too many players still under contract, Morris will have to look at getting some of them out on loan and make room for some new players. One thing is for certain is that out of the 23 players we still have left under contract, we have a starting 11 who will struggle in league 2, we are probably short of about 4 or 5 decent players. Last year we got in the numbers without the quality, this season we have to bring in some quality as we already have the numbers, but does our budget allow for that, Lowery and Mandron will be difficult to replace and our midfield looks extremely weak.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post

Couldn’t agree more Gazan and have said so in the relegation post, I think the retain/release list lays bare what a dogs dinner of both recruitment and retention the previous manager made. You have to feel sorry for Morris you could easily have doubled the release list and nobody would have batted an eyelid he has been left with a pretty poor bunch of players to work with. Almost 50% of the remaining squad are scholars so surely we are not going to repeat the mistakes of last season and consider any of them for first team football ? So if you take them out and Johnson does not sign ( don’t care one way or another average at best) we need to recruit approx 12 players ? Can’t see that happening either so how are the club going to be competitive next season not with a squad full of scholars that’s for sure.

The quality of the first team squad as it stands is poor and provides little confidence for next season. I am happy to give the three players a deadline to sign their contracts or leave. At least Morris and Bell would then know where they stand regarding recruitment needs, though I am not sure that signing all three players will increase my confidence in the squad. There is a requirement for significant recruitment and we just have to hope that the recent transfer window failures are not repeated. Of course, we now have the recruitment experts on the job so fingers crossed.

I don't think the implication was that Travis had been delaying signing, I think it was that he'd been made an offer now, other out of contract players had not - that was why he was listed when Mandron and Lowery were not, though offers were made there a while ago?

As Zak won't play again till the end of the transfer window I wonder if that will simplify getting him to sign - they were talking about him as if they expected him to be here through July and August recuperating, so I guess under a contract by then.

Still trying to persuade Mika to stay clearly but probably forlorn hope - Tom I suspect has already signed a pre-deal with whoever ....

Gomes hanging on till we feel we have to pay him up for the coming year to release him?

What happened to good old transfer lists? Can Gomes be placed on one so there's a possibility he might be taken?

Very sorry to see Murph go, he's still a very decent midfielder. I hope it was his decision to go, wanting more game time I presume.

So Travis Johnson's offer withdrawn - they're not messing around with timetables this year!

Interesting as he's only 21 so they must think the compensation they'd get if he signed with an offer still on the table would not be worth the hassle!

Interesting, is this a new ruthlessness or just another rogue agent making things impossible? Shame really. I'll miss his ability to 'win' free kicks to get himself out of a hole and also his overall feistiness. In recent years only Perry Ng had those qualities (plus quite a bit more talent).
    He wasn't bad but he certainly didn't stand out as having great potential. Who knows? However, he must think he's going to make it somewhere. Nantwich, maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast