+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Deid…Not So Good For Himself, obviously

Deid…Not So Good For Himself, obviously

Toes of Dennis Waterman (Up The Junction, The Sweeney, Minder) now turned up. Aged 74.

Immortalised in Dons history where, after some sort of midweek mauling of one of the Jute lot, pints were being taken in a harbour-front bar, a good distance from the Jute railway station. The telly was on in the grog shop, and just as the fourth or fifth round of pints was being delivered, one of the trusties said, “If we hear the theme tune of Minder, we’re ****ed for catching the fitba special hame”. At that point, I Could Be So Good For You kicked into life (sorry, Tez), pints were sunk, and a sprint with bellies sloshing with draught ale commenced. Success, and we got out of that ****ing ****ehole. Liz McColgan couldn’t have caught us that night.

I was watching Minder recently on youtube.

Great stuff

Fitba specials need a thread of their own.

Waterman’s career seemed to diminish significantly once he left Minder, as did the programme itself, which should have finished at the same time. Dead horse flogged.

I never saw anything on the telly when it was originally shown ( in the pub)

Catching up now though on youtube.

Would have been ridiculous to try and keep going without Arfur and Terry

I saw him at the theatre, with Rula Lenska in "This time next year " or some similar title.
    It was very good.

I’ve seen Up The Junction about three times in the last couple of years on those ‘classics’ channels. Incredible cast, fantastic evocation of the period and, unusually, as good as the Nell Dunn book.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I’ve seen Up The Junction about three times in the last couple of years on those ‘classics’ channels. Incredible cast, fantastic evocation of the period and, unusually, as good as the Nell Dunn book.
    Agree 100% Not often you get a film that is as good as the book, but Up The Junction is. The lucky lad Waterman even had a bit of a thing with the lovely Suzy Kendall during the making of the film too.

DD - I would imagine you possibly did see it back in the day but The Sweeney is well worth a watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Toes of Dennis Waterman (Up The Junction, The Sweeney, Minder) now turned up. Aged 74.

Immortalised in Dons history where, after some sort of midweek mauling of one of the Jute lot, pints were being taken in a harbour-front bar, a good distance from the Jute railway station. The telly was on in the grog shop, and just as the fourth or fifth round of pints was being delivered, one of the trusties said, “If we hear the theme tune of Minder, we’re ****ed for catching the fitba special hame”. At that point, I Could Be So Good For You kicked into life (sorry, Tez), pints were sunk, and a sprint with bellies sloshing with draught ale commenced. Success, and we got out of that ****ing ****ehole. Liz McColgan couldn’t have caught us that night.
    I think with his love of booze and fitba, I think he would have approved of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    Agree 100% Not often you get a film that is as good as the book, but Up The Junction is. The lucky lad Waterman even had a bit of a thing with the lovely Suzy Kendall during the making of the film too.

DD - I would imagine you possibly did see it back in the day but The Sweeney is well worth a watch too.
    The quality of the digitally-restored Up The Junction’s pretty impressive. Did Adrienne Posta ever play a part other than the flighty blonde **** with such an appetite for stroop that she seemed to have an illegal back-street termination every month, many of whom played for the Huns in the early 1980s?

https://youtu.be/G3OKKQ8CxMA