+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This Season

This Season

Well, with West Ham winning today Europe next year looks a step too far. We'd really have to win all our 3 remaining games and no Wolves fan is their right mind can see us beating both Man City and Liverpool. Finishing 8th is a real possibility, and if you'd asked before the season started if I'd have been happy finishing this season in the top half I'd have chewed my arm off. However,I can't help but feel a little disappointed. We've had numerous chances to break, not only into the 7th place but also threaten the top 6, and we've come up short at every turn. Our achilles heel, and always has been since we got promoted 4 years ago is beating the teams, on paper, we should have.

The foundations are there for us to now rebuild this summer for another push. We aren't any longer under any transfer restrictions but Fosun really are going to have to back the manager this time for that to happen. Whether we can keep hold of our best assets is another question. No one here would blame Neves, after 5 years of outstanding service if he decided he warranted playing in Europe with one of the top 4, but I'd move heaven and earth to try and persuade him we had the ambition next season to do it with Wolves. Jose Sa is another one I'd hate to lose, but I can't see him leaving just yet anyway.

This summer holds more interest for me in the transfer market since we were last promoted under Mick McCarthy. Then it was all about who we could bring in to keep us up....this time it's the complete opposite. I hope Fosun really do have a 10 year ambition to compete with the elite, and this window will give me some idea if that's really the case.

Well said Plates.

Curious what happens to Lage. Early season, looked like everybody loved playing for him. Can't think of too many stale performances until late winter. Something seems to have changed, as our effort the past month or so has been severely lacking. Hope the Chelsea performance is a sign of things to come down the stretch.

Like you said, top half finish would have been more than acceptable to me before the season. But our rivals for the continental spots have had their fair share of slip ups too and we didn't take advantage. Like we saw early in the season, good performances aren't always rewarded. We could play better next season and not be as high in the table because the bounces didn't go our way.

Biggest hole in this team is the final third. We've shown we can defend and that we can get the ball in and around the box. What we haven't been able to do is finish or find that final pass that unlocks the goal. Unfortunately, this is a big problem for alot of teams and goalscoring is a premium in the transfer market.

It will take investment to take the next step. Fosun have to ask themselves if they're ok with being Southampton - challenge for top six every few years, but finish midtable most seasons - or do we want to be Leicester and contend for Europe almost every season.

If we manage to finish eighth it will be a great achievement, disappointing, but still good. We were at one stage so close to a top six finish, but some poor performances let us down. The late Leeds defeat being one. Three points in the bag there and we would really be knocking on the door.

We have only scored 35 goals which is very low for a team in such a high league position. However, we have only conceded 34, of which I think 12 have been penalties!!!!! Take those away and only Man City have conceded less. How many points have those penalties cost us??? Certainly a point at City when that diabolical decision went against Moutinho. Strange how we give so many away and the big six hardly any!! Chelsea on Saturday was another iffy penalty decision. Lukaku going down like a pack of cards. Was it really in the area.

It would be typical of Wolves if we go and upset City this week.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    If we manage to finish eighth it will be a great achievement, disappointing, but still good. We were at one stage so close to a top six finish, but some poor performances let us down. The late Leeds defeat being one. Three points in the bag there and we would really be knocking on the door.

We have only scored 35 goals which is very low for a team in such a high league position. However, we have only conceded 34, of which I think 12 have been penalties!!!!! Take those away and only Man City have conceded less. How many points have those penalties cost us??? Certainly a point at City when that diabolical decision went against Moutinho. Strange how we give so many away and the big six hardly any!! Chelsea on Saturday was another iffy penalty decision. Lukaku going down like a pack of cards. Was it really in the area.

It would be typical of Wolves if we go and upset City this week.
    It'd be typical to upset City, only to put in a disappointing performance against Norwich this weekend. Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely finish anywhere but 7th unless we go winless in all three or win all three remaining matches.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)