+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Stallard

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Not once have I ever listened to Mark Stallards comments on the radio or Magpie Circle and disagreed with what he has said. Very knowledgeable intelligent, fair and honest man.
    Agree, I rarely if ever disagree with his summary of the game.

His passion for Notts is clear but he still says what he sees, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    There can't be ANY doubt that Paul Mace is Notts through and through but it does drag on a bit and he did himself no favours towards the end of last season when he ripped into IB in a third party kind of way which got a lot of people off side me included. Its not a bad listen at times but he only has himself to blame for peoples opinions on him.
    My first experience of Paul Mace's podcast was the Martin Allen interview which I thought was great, and I posted on here to say so, but I agree with you that his comments on Ian Burchnall seemed personally motivated rather than objective. I lost interest in the Magpie Circle podcast after that.

I must have started watching the Magpie Circle podcasts, after Paul Mace gave his thoughts on IB, so it hasn't affected how I view him so much. I like to watch it because a) it is an hour or so listening to thoughts Notts County related and b) it makes a change to have things discussed in a sensible manner.
    I do think Mace lets his mask slip a bit, maybe, with his over the top decriptions of this chat platform from time to time.
    Any platform where you can get to hear and see club legends Les Bradd and Mark Stallard give their opinions must be good on ballance.

On the last one he mentioned Jack Brunt's dad going on social media and having a dig at Notts,

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I love his ‘Get Innnnnnn’ whenever we score
    Yeah, and the the subtle differences between each 'Get Innnnnn' depending on the circumstances of the match.

Love Stallard. One of my favourite Notts players growing up and an excellent co-commentator. Based purely on the way he communicates and what he says, I think he'd make a great manager.

Top scorer in a season that could well have seen us promoted back into the championship in 2000 had we not made the stupid, stupid, stupid mistake of giving the job to Gary Brazil. A proper appointment after Sam understandably left and nobody would have been crying "Judas" for long or continuing to hate on Allardyce to this day. Can't really blame Pavis either because there was a groundswell of support for giving the job full time to Brazil, probably from the players as well.

No idea what Stall feels about that period, but it's a pity he isn't associated with some proper success, he was among the best of a very decent squad. With the service he's since given to the club via the media, "club legend" is justified. Not many others could fall into that bracket post Warnock/Walker era, Ian Richardson certainly, Mike Edwards, Hoozie and John Thompson, but we're going to be scraping the barrel in years to come on that front if we don't get our act together soon.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Not many others could fall into that bracket post Warnock/Walker era, Ian Richardson certainly, Mike Edwards, Hoozie and John Thompson, but we're going to be scraping the barrel in years to come on that front if we don't get our act together soon.
    I'd add Bishop to that list, but yeah, I can't think of anyone else.

Who from the current lot - or even the last few years - would you remember as a club legend? I think someone like Rodriguez could cement himself in that category if we got promoted and he stuck around, but those are two massive ifs that aren't likely to happen.

I think Alan Sheehan is worth a shout, Rico was another…people who gave a damn. Few and far between unfortunately.

Agree with the concensus here about Mark Stallard, love listening to his commentary on the radio and his contributions elsewhere. He is outstanding at what he does, just as he was as a player. There are no wasted words with Stall, everything he says is worth listening to and in particular, his insights as an ex-pro can be fascinating. He and Charlie have a great chemistry and are a great foil for each other on match day.

Without wishing to be negative, his delivery is far and away superior to Stevie Hodge and others by comparison. The only local commentator apart from Colin Slater I've heard to compare with him is going back to perhaps John McGovern. Each time I listen to Mark Stallard I feel there might well be a real burdgeoning career developing for him.

Yes but does/did Mark Stallard own Maradona's famous shirt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12