+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Stallard

Mark Stallard

Just a mention to say how enjoyable it is listening to his thoughts and comments on all things Notts County. He is always honest and fair when discussing Notts but his love for the club shines like a beacon.
    I was unfortunate enough to hear a bit of Steve Hodge on Saturday, as colour commentator for Florist. He was shocking in comparison, even struggling to get right who they were meeting in the play offs.
    I know the Magpie Circle is not well liked on here by some, due to Paul Mace, but it is always worth watching/listening, especially when Stal is on. If possible listen to last nights episode, maybe five minutes from the end, when he gives his idea of what the pre game managers talk should be before the play off games, Churchillian comes to mind.
    GET IN

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Just a mention to say how enjoyable it is listening to his thoughts and comments on all things Notts County. He is always honest and fair when discussing Notts but his love for the club shines like a beacon.
    I was unfortunate enough to hear a bit of Steve Hodge on Saturday, as colour commentator for Florist. He was shocking in comparison, even struggling to get right who they were meeting in the play offs.
    I know the Magpie Circle is not well liked on here by some, due to Paul Mace, but it is always worth watching/listening, especially when Stal is on. If possible listen to last nights episode, maybe five minutes from the end, when he gives his idea of what the pre game managers talk should be before the play off games, Churchillian comes to mind.
    GET IN
    A true legend, and always worth listening to. I dont know why some do not like the Magpie Circle, its all about honest opinions and chaired by a true Notts Supporter..

Liked him as a player.......Like him as a commentator........Like him as a person.

Can't get much better than that !!

I love his ‘Get Innnnnnn’ whenever we score

Totally agree - Stall is the ideal pundit and bloody good at his job

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Totally agree - Stall is the ideal pundit and bloody good at his job
    The best pundit on MC by a million miles.
    When he isn't on it, I don't bother.

Stallard is actually my favourite ever Notts player, delighted that he took up the commentary and punditry. Surprised he never played a bit higher than what he did, such an intelligent and capable player…a bit of a lower league Teddy Sheringham! Maybe his pace or general athleticism wasn’t up to scratch.

As others have said, honest…sometimes brutally when needs be, but doesn’t go ott either when things are going well. Bet he was great to have in the dressing room.

Edit: I enjoy Magpie Circle too, he’s obviously not everyone’s cup of tea but I think Paul mace does ok, and his laugh makes me laugh 😂

I remember Stall making his debut as a new signing for Lincoln City at Sincil Bank early in the 2006/07 season, a couple of years after he'd left Notts. As is customary, the home tannoy announcer read out each name on the Lincoln City teamsheet to be greeted by the obligatory boos from Notts supporters in the away stand... until he read out the name Mark Stallard, who got such a massive cheer from the Notts fans that you couldn't hear the Lincoln supporters at all! This was followed of course by a full verse of 'Walking in a Stallard Wonderland'.

In my time supporting Notts I can't remember any other former player playing against us and receiving that amount of adulation. As well as recognising what a great player he was for us, I think fans also remembered very clearly that when he left Notts for Barnsley, he had not been pushing for a move at all and said he didn't really want to leave, but agreed to the transfer to ease the pressure on our wage bill when we were in financial dire straits.

A true Notts legend.
    Last edited by jackal2; 10-05-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    GET IN
    Mark Stallard is without a doubt cemented in place as a club legend. He was a great player for us in his strikers role, and is a great co-commentator and pundit.

Not once have I ever listened to Mark Stallards comments on the radio or Magpie Circle and disagreed with what he has said. Very knowledgeable intelligent, fair and honest man.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    A true legend, and always worth listening to. I dont know why some do not like the Magpie Circle, its all about honest opinions and chaired by a true Notts Supporter..
    There can't be ANY doubt that Paul Mace is Notts through and through but it does drag on a bit and he did himself no favours towards the end of last season when he ripped into IB in a third party kind of way which got a lot of people off side me included. Its not a bad listen at times but he only has himself to blame for peoples opinions on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast