+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearly Ops to Leave West Brom

Easy to criticise, but if you were in his position and Albion offered you £1-2k per week but you could earn £20k per week elsewhere then we know what you would do. The reason we lose these kids is because other clubs have bigger pockets than us. And you can sing and shout about their career suffering, but their bank balance won't suffer. Some of these kids can sign a contract now that would set them for life. Its the logical thing for them to do. I don't blame him to be honest, nor any of the others that have left.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Easy to criticise, but if you were in his position and Albion offered you £1-2k per week but you could earn £20k per week elsewhere then we know what you would do. The reason we lose these kids is because other clubs have bigger pockets than us. And you can sing and shout about their career suffering, but their bank balance won't suffer. Some of these kids can sign a contract now that would set them for life. Its the logical thing for them to do. I don't blame him to be honest, nor any of the others that have left.

Totally agree! A kid with this talent must look at donkeys like Zohore and think, I am twice the player of this guy so why should he be on a huge wage sitting in the treatment room. Same with any company too - a young talented whizz kid comes in with clear vision and on peanuts when a doddery old guy in the same company earns 3 times as much because he's been there for years but now slow, deaf and a liability! The young talented kid will feel resentful.

Pay should be on talent and doing the job well regardless of age.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Totally agree! A kid with this talent must look at donkeys like Zohore and think, I am twice the player of this guy so why should he be on a huge wage sitting in the treatment room. Same with any company too - a young talented whizz kid comes in with clear vision and on peanuts when a doddery old guy in the same company earns 3 times as much because he's been there for years but now slow, deaf and a liability! The young talented kid will feel resentful.

Pay should be on talent and doing the job well regardless of age.
    Agree totally with the last sentence.

However who in their right mind thinks that Cleary is worth £20k per week, £1 million per year based on his talent?

If any football club does pay that money, and I doubt they will, then good luck to him but all I can say is the football world needs a big kick up the backside and a complete reset of the business if it can waste that amount of money on an unproven kid.

Also I don’t want to support a club that thinks it is right to pay that sort of money either.

Who knows what Cleary has been offered, he hasn’t cut it in the first team yet. I can understand him being a bit brassed off with not getting a chance in the first team but I do think that a lot of these young players consider themselves to be far better than they are just because they’ve knocked a few in playing for the junior sides. He may well prove to be just another poseur who pockets some early cash and ends up in League 2, thinking that the World owes him a living.

Ferguson is a great example of this. On paper he was offered first team football and £10k a week with us. Palace offered £20k a week to fight for a place. Seemed a no brainer to stay with us and progress. Given that he’s been out for 2 1/2 years and maybe longer, he made the best call for his career.

Fact is we will never know how good Cleary or these other youngsters are .... or what they are worth ..... because we never play them. And for this you have to blame the Manager ....

Don’t understand why we have an academy tbh .... would be better off with the Brentford model where they pick players from lower leagues and develop them .... so they come to a bigger club grateful for the chance ..... just needs a decent scouting system ..... which we haven’t had for years since Ashworth left

For some reason, we do appear reticent to give the youngsters a chance. It is impossible to judge how a youngster will cope if they are not given a run in the team. Even in the last few games, when there was little to play for, we still didn't give any of them a real opportunity to show what they could do. I don't think that it's just the lure of more money or a glamorous club and I can fully understand why they would want to leave if they felt there was little opportunity to progress at this club.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Agree totally with the last sentence.

However who in their right mind thinks that Cleary is worth £20k per week, £1 million per year based on his talent?

If any football club does pay that money, and I doubt they will, then good luck to him but all I can say is the football world needs a big kick up the backside and a complete reset of the business if it can waste that amount of money on an unproven kid.

Also I don’t want to support a club that thinks it is right to pay that sort of money either.
    The big clubs are not paying them this for their talent, they paying them for their potential.

The best 17/18 year old kids in the world are at clubs who can pay this money, because there is a chance they will go onto become players worth £50-100m+

If that happens to Cleary, then a £1m per year salary is more than viable.

The big clubs are not paying them this for their talent, they paying them for their potential.

The best 17/18 year old kids in the world are at clubs who can pay this money, because there is a chance they will go onto become players worth £50-100m+

If that happens to Cleary, then a £1m per year salary is more than viable.
    Blimey never thought I would see Cleary linked in the same paragraph as ‘ the best 17/18 year old kids in the world’. Would be amazed if he is the best 18 year old within 15 miles of the centre of Birmingham let alone one of the best in the world, whether that be potential or actual ability.

No way should someone like Cleary being anywhere near a £1m annual salary in my opinion at this stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Blimey never thought I would see Cleary linked in the same paragraph as ‘ the best 17/18 year old kids in the world’. Would be amazed if he is the best 18 year old within 15 miles of the centre of Birmingham let alone one of the best in the world, whether that be potential or actual ability.

No way should someone like Cleary being anywhere near a £1m annual salary in my opinion at this stage of his career.
    I don't think I've ever seen him play, all I know is he has scored a hatful for our youth teams and Bayern were linked with him. If that is true (although its likely an agent circling that) then why wouldn't he try and earn as much as he could?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)