+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josh Rae

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Has he been promised something from his agent and then let down ?
    Very strange move by Josh who will have to share the Diamonds last line of defence with another ex - Queens player David Hutton one of 4 or 5 former Doonhamers at Airdrie

I'm guessing that Josh thought a bigger club than Queens would come in for him if he left us. When that didn't materialise and we had filled the position - ironically- with Airdrie's keeper , he decided to take , maybe, his only other offer. If I'm wrong then moving from Queens to Airdrie doesn't seem like a move on the upward curve. I did rate the lad, good keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I'm guessing that Josh thought a bigger club than Queens would come in for him if he left us. When that didn't materialise and we had filled the position - ironically- with Airdrie's keeper , he decided to take , maybe, his only other offer. If I'm wrong then moving from Queens to Airdrie doesn't seem like a move on the upward curve. I did rate the lad, good keeper.
    I stand by what I said earlier in the post. He wasn’t great! So many shot saved but he never held anything and anything he did save was straight out into the danger area instead of getting it out into the wide areas and as for coming Off his line I always thought he was suspect, however that is understandable considering his injury. The one thing I would say is that he is young enough to develop into not a bad keeper. So really it’s no surprise to me that no bigger club has came in for him. When you look at McDonald at raith, Gaston at Arbroath, the Patrick keeper, these are solid good keepers that Josh is nowhere near at the moment.

Always enjoy reading your posts Fatfan but we will have to agree to disagree. I thought Rae was good and it will be a tall order for Max Currie to be better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Always enjoy reading your posts Fatfan but we will have to agree to disagree. I thought Rae was good and it will be a tall order for Max Currie to be better than him.
    I have no idea what currie is like. I can’t say I have seen him play, but keepers, more than any other player, will always be compared to the previous keeper. For half a season we had, in my opinion, the best keeper in the league in Sol brynn. After he returned to Middlesbrough we fell to the bottom of the league because he brought a calmness to the back four and claimed everything along with pulling off saves.
    After Josh came in the calmness at the back was gone. Josh just wasn’t on the same level and we suffered for it.
    Now I’m not saying we were relegated due to having a poor keeper, it’s more a reflection on the quality that was in front of him. He was young, and yes he could pull off saves but he lacked the experience that was needed and could anyone really say that he made us stronger?
    Time will only tell if currie improves us or not. If not then Wullie carries the can as he is responsible for bringing him in. On the flip side, if he proves a success then Wullie should take the praise for the signing.
    What I would say is that currie has played in an airdrie team that had a lot of joy last season and has proven himself at the level queens are at. Josh was brought from Peterhead and thrown into the championship, a level he wasn’t experienced at. So if I was a betting man I would Back my money on currie being an improvement if pedigree is anything to go by

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Can anyone work that one out ?

i can give you a guess at why deek lol airdrie obviously are offering the guy better wages than queens il hazard a guess ,airdrie ??? yes airdrie lol ,queens wage budget and wage packages must be piss poor to be out gunned by airdrie .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i can give you a guess at why deek lol airdrie obviously are offering the guy better wages than queens il hazard a guess ,airdrie ??? yes airdrie lol ,queens wage budget and wage packages must be piss poor to be out gunned by airdrie .
    Wrong again.

Broken promises from his agent regarding a bigger move elsewhere left him with no choice but sign for a club in Scotland. That just happened to be Airdrie , a club he stays nearby

Francis I’ll have to disagree with you on this one with currie leaving airdrie to come to queens before there was any suggestion of Rae going the opposite way. That would suggest queens would be offering more if they wanted to keep him.
    And as for broken promises from agents. It’s not agents who decide if a player is signed by a club. Yes agents may tout one of there players about other clubs but it’s the club who decides if they want to sign him (if that makes sense).
    If he’s left because an agent has made promises then he is also off his head. Would anybody here leave there jobs if someone came up and said don’t stay and I’ll get you a better job with better wages, without having some form of guarantee? So I struggle to believe it’s down to any agents.
    On top of that most clubs would have other players on trial prior to signing in order to not only see how good they are, but also if they fit in with the squad. And I have never heard anything of him going on trial with anyone but I could be corrected on that one.
    My view is the lad has taken a gamble as he has wanted to stay in the championship. Kudos to him as he has wanted to play at the highest level he can get, but nobody has came in for him and he has signed for airdrie.
    Oh and another thing.
    Not that I am an airdrie fan by any stretch, but they are every bit as big of a club as ourselves with a fantastic stadium and a hybrid system for players that will work well at all clubs outside the spl. So it may be a good move for Rae

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    Broken promises from his agent regarding a bigger move elsewhere left him with no choice but sign for a club in Scotland. That just happened to be Airdrie , a club he stays nearby
    In today's Dumfries Courier Wullie states that after Josh's move fell through and Max had signed for Queens they had spoken again but he could not guarantee he would be number one keeper and would need to compete so he then moved on to the Diamonds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)