+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl

Vinyl

This follows on from a conversation that I had over on the very lovely Rochdale board, about my avatar and bands of the 70s and samplers back in the day. Do any of you still buy vinyl? I got rid of all of mine back in the 90s during a house move and regretted it for the next 20 years. About 4 years ago I bought a new turntable with the intention of replacing all my old stuff but that hasn’t gone well. I started off visiting charity shops and soon found that what was on offer was poor quality with all the best stuff creamed off for dealers who like to charge an arm and a leg. I bought a couple of new pressings but they’re not cheap either. EBay is a better source so I’ve bought quite a few that way, but the problem is that I get diverted onto other records and buy them instead. My collection therefore remains unreplicated.

Then I was in Oxfam in Keswick last week looking at books and instead came out with a copy of EGBDF by the Moody Blues which cost me a fiver and plays very well. That led me to buy A Question of Balance for eight quid off of EBay and it’s not far off mint. Anyway, one of the Rochdale lads was talking about his love for Fairport Convention who were never my cup of tea back then because of my preference for Jethro Tull who were more about the rock that the folk side of music. So I gave them another listen and got right into them, especially three of their albums from around 69 to 72 so had a shufti on EBay. YOU CAN’T GET A DECENT COPY FOR LESS THAT A HUNDRED QUID! WTF.

I’m still looking on EBay for (mainly) prog stuff but does anyone else do this? And has anyone any better sources that aren’t trying to rip you off?

Hi Griff,

When I first left school at 16 my first job was £40 a week but I also had been working on a Saturday in Virgin Records in Manchester since I was about 15.. pay was £10 a day or 10 albums (usually took more) and at one point had around 4-500 of them, all rock / metal albums.

Over the later of my teanage yearsneeding money to go out I started to sell a lot of them to second hand shops or mates & there is a box up in the loft still with around 100 left I think but not opened it in must be 10-15 years. I was into a different genre than you though reading your post.

To answer your question, it depends if your willing to travel out for the day. I know there is a shop in Heywood that sells vinyl, have never been in it but it is packed with vinyl records & covers displayed in the window.

Additionally Mcr city centre, around Oldham Street near Piccadilly there is vinyl exchange & around there is the retro vintage type shops & probably a few more but again, been a long time since I was in Mcr…

I would google record shops for independent rather than eBay as an option but would presume they also use e bay as well..

Just had a look on vinyl exchange website mate.. not sure what Jethro Tull albums you mean but an example

https://www.vinylexchange.co.uk/prod...ll-war-child-5

Get the lady and say Alexa play fairport convention

Quote Originally Posted by cayambe View Post
    Get the lady and say Alexa play fairport convention
    Or Alexa. Search for wooden spoons 😎😀

Ta lads. I was meaning that the Fairport Convention stuff was well overpriced, I have a bit of Tull which isn’t expensive. I have a couple of vinyl outlets near me, one in Keswick and the other in C­ockermouth, both as part of antique/collectibles shops and neither particularly affordable. I know what I like but I’m not willing to be ripped off.

I’ve been listening to FC via Alexa as I have Prime music which isn’t far off Spotify nowadays but cheaper.

I’ll keep looking.

There are a couple of vinyls of theirs on the website & a large prog rock section

If you let me know titles will call in the shop in Heywood & have a look for you

Ta mate.

Griff,
    I've dealt with Vinyl for 10 years or so, so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
    People will pay absolutely ridiculous prices for records from the early 70s, prog bands especially. But...........................they have to be in 'near mint' to more or less 'mint' condition and rare. They also have to be , what's called 'first pressings' this is more or less the first batch that came off the production line. If you get a first pressing of say Pink Floyds 'Dark side of The Moon' and its in at the very least in 'Excellent' condition then you can sell it for upwards of £400, (I have infact seen copies sell for up to a grand) but it has to be a first pressing, you can tell its a first pressing by the label. It was a solid blue triangle instead of the more familiar 'outlined triangle', it was originally changed because nobody could read the text on the label.
    All first pressings are different, some have particular numbers etched onto the 'run out groove' some have different coloured labels or are released on a different record label to the one they are currently with, plus loads of other abnormalities.
    Mentioned above are Fairport Convention and Jethro Tull albums, early editions of these are also very collectable and can fetch high prices if they are original first pressings.
    But like everything else in life prices can fluctuate depending on the popularity of the band/artist, any bands that were, or are popular towards the end of the eighties (Stone Roses, Oasis Nirvana ect) can go for quite big money, this is because CDs had taken over the world and records were being produced less and less, but again they have to be in great condition and first pressings from around the time they were first released.
    As with almost everything in life though there are people that can or will rip you off, and there are a number of fakes about.
    So if you need to know anything, then come and see me.
    Bry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)