+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fgr

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    All wooden stadium? What could possibly go wrong.
    Like the wooden science building at Nottingham Uni....Burnt to the ground over night.....

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Pete Wild has done a great job at Halifax. I like the way they play, too - aggressive, tenacious, and hard-working. He got them to finish above us with what was surely a smaller playing budget.

But I guess it all boils down to whether they want a Birchnall-style head coach to implement the same style of football. If that's the case, I doubt we'll do any better than IB, and it's anyone's guess who would come in next.
    Wild’s a good shout, but predicting a new manager at our level is nigh-on impossible these days with the preference for coaches. Even in the EFL, I’d never heard of the managers at the likes of Swindon, Northampton and MK Dons until a few weeks ago.

The fact that he was so high up in the Lincoln betting suggests there was some interest there as well. Fair play to him if he can get a League 1 job, even if it is with a smallish club like FGR.

Unless we have the money to pinch someone like Challinor it’s pointless speculating about who’s next cos we won’t have heard of him.

I imagine it’d be Doyle, knows the club….cheap…continuity. JOB as player coach.

Not sure what I’d make of it but that’s where my dosh would be.

Unfortunately I think IB will be on his way.
    As I like the guy, and the way he tries to get the team to play good football, my immediate thoughts were doom laden. However no one had heard of him, before he became manager, so who's to say the brothers will not have another good un lined up, if IB goes to pastures new.
    My big fear is that the players might have become unsettled if they know IB is on his way and so, underperform.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Pete Wild has done a great job at Halifax. I like the way they play, too - aggressive, tenacious, and hard-working. He got them to finish above us with what was surely a smaller playing budget.

But I guess it all boils down to whether they want a Birchnall-style head coach to implement the same style of football. If that's the case, I doubt we'll do any better than IB, and it's anyone's guess who would come in next.
    When you set a club philosophy, principles and a style of playing then the players and the coaches that come in will be ones who fit the blueprint.

So like with players that move on it’s the same with a head coach. I would suspect that when IB does leave (as every coach does at some point) whoever comes into replace him will be someone who will fit the club and the owners will know who they want.

The problem we had for 20 years and why we fell to this level was because we had no identity, no principles or philosophy as to how we wanted to play. Instead it changed every time we had a new manager come in, and that left us with bloated squads because the manager wanted their own players or players of differing qualities and styles did not fit the new way. Thankfully those days are behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    When you set a club philosophy, principles and a style of playing then the players and the coaches that come in will be ones who fit the blueprint.

So like with players that move on it’s the same with a head coach. I would suspect that when IB does leave (as every coach does at some point) whoever comes into replace him will be someone who will fit the club and the owners will know who they want.

The problem we had for 20 years and why we fell to this level was because we had no identity, no principles or philosophy as to how we wanted to play. Instead it changed every time we had a new manager come in, and that left us with bloated squads because the manager wanted their own players or players of differing qualities and styles did not fit the new way. Thankfully those days are behind us.
    That's basically true. I don't think the owners will have been as prescriptive about playing style as some fans suggest, because I don't think they're the type to interfere and micromanage what a coach does day-to-day, but I think they have an overall identity in mind of a good passing team that plays attacking football, and they'll prioritise coaches whose ethos broadly fits that category.

I must say, I find it slightly surprising that IB seems to be quite so high on the wanted list of clubs higher up. Yes, he's a young, enthusiastic coach whose teams can play some great football when they're at their best, but he hasn't actually won anything yet. I suspect his apparent 'blue-eyed' boy status owes something to the fact that he plays a brand of football that is currently very much in fashion, but I'm yet to be entirely convinced that it isn't more style over substance.

The biggest disappoint for me, if he leaves, is that we won't get to see whether he is capable of recognising what was missing from his team this season and putting it right next season. We're sort of a third or at most mid-way through the Burchnall 'project' in my eyes, and while his report card to date is generally positive, he's still got to show he's got what it takes to be a trophy/promotion winner.

They already have a replacement lined up...

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    That's basically true. I don't think the owners will have been as prescriptive about playing style as some fans suggest, because I don't think they're the type to interfere and micromanage what a coach does day-to-day, but I think they have an overall identity in mind of a good passing team that plays attacking football, and they'll prioritise coaches whose ethos broadly fits that category.

I must say, I find it slightly surprising that IB seems to be quite so high on the wanted list of clubs higher up. Yes, he's a young, enthusiastic coach whose teams can play some great football when they're at their best, but he hasn't actually won anything yet. I suspect his apparent 'blue-eyed' boy status owes something to the fact that he plays a brand of football that is currently very much in fashion, but I'm yet to be entirely convinced that it isn't more style over substance.

The biggest disappoint for me, if he leaves, is that we won't get to see whether he is capable of recognising what was missing from his team this season and putting it right next season. We're sort of a third or at most mid-way through the Burchnall 'project' in my eyes, and while his report card to date is generally positive, he's still got to show he's got what it takes to be a trophy/promotion winner.
    Style won't win this league. For IB, the next 3 possible games will show us if he can deliver. I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    They already have a replacement lined up...
    Can you elaborate or is it hush-hush?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast