+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civil Servants

Don't get me started on the DWP.

Once the 90000 have gone nobody will notice the difference

I think that any organization or business -whether private or public-that grows too big is in danger of losing sight of its founding key objectives and open to the malaise of internal politics and empire building which hampers productivity and this is generally seen in middle management.

My own experiences with the NHS date back over two decades now but this had become increasingly the case then and was made worse by the general lack of business principles being applied, insufficient accountabilities being made and a kind of "jobs for life" attitude amongst many. Doubtless the same could be said of the Civil Service of the time. My brother has recently retired from quite senior positions within the NHS and whilst some of this still occurs a lot has changed and there are many very hard working and diligent managers working for it. I don't think that the contracting out of so many services has helped either.

Don't know if talk of these cuts in the Civil Service are part of recent comments by Reece Mogg about "laziness" and working from home (as also brought up by Alan Sugar)? I know a few people who manage home working staff and whilst there are some who do well, my impression is that there are many more whose work performance has fallen. Guess it depends too on what sort of work they do.

Don't think anyone can disagree that there are some obvious failings with the services provided by the Civil Service and I am sure that some of this can be blamed on mis-management and poor productivity but how will severe job cuts in it help? On the customer receiving end this will surely only lead to even more frustrating "automated services" and delays! On top of this, Matt is right in highlighting the increase in workload -and therefore staff- to deal with Brexit and then Covid (though I think 123 makes some valid points on this too).

There is a problem with the services provided by the Civil Service but this reaction seems very knee-jerk to me and primarily a way of saving the government money in its wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    HMRC run them very close. NFFP. As in..... Not Fit For Purpose.
    Spot on 68.

A couple of years ago I had a knock on my door a minute after arriving back from my afternoon run.

It was a lady HMRC officer, I politely invited her in even though it was inconvenient for me.

She was incredibly brusque and was enquiring why we’d failed to pay our staff PAYE for a previous month.

I was apologetic and explained that it would be the first transgression in 23 years of trading but she was very cold and matter of fact.

She then opened her lap top to show me the error of my ways only to find that my account was showing an amount of about £5000 “ not allocated “ but that had been paid by my wife.

It was their error, they’d had the money but failed to allocate it against the month it was due.

She struggled to offer a very weak apology.

I find them a terrifying organisation to deal with if I’m honest, my blood runs cold at the sight of a brown HMRC envelope.

They are actually one of the main factors in my decision to sell up and retire.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Spot on 68.

A couple of years ago I had a knock on my door a minute after arriving back from my afternoon run.

It was a lady HMRC officer, I politely invited her in even though it was inconvenient for me.

She was incredibly brusque and was enquiring why we’d failed to pay our staff PAYE for a previous month.

I was apologetic and explained that it would be the first transgression in 23 years of trading but she was very cold and matter of fact.

She then opened her lap top to show me the error of my ways only to find that my account was showing an amount of about £5000 “ not allocated “ but that had been paid by my wife.

It was their error, they’d had the money but failed to allocate it against the month it was due.

She struggled to offer a very weak apology.

I find them a terrifying organisation to deal with if I’m honest, my blood runs cold at the sight of a brown HMRC envelope.

They are actually one of the main factors in my decision to sell up and retire.

Rishi Sunak says there’s anxious times ahead! Not for this c unt with 200 million and a non dom wife who fiddles her taxes legally so we are told! Mrs Sunak now pays tax but refuses to back date it and keeps her non dom status to avoid inheritance tax which we all have to pay.

Who decides on the financials/taxation and the way HMRC set up? Here lies the problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)