+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Open letter from the reds new chairman

Herbie Kane
    Malik Wilks
    Dominic Freiser

Who made the decision to get rid of these three on loan or otherwise.
    These three would have been useful and my well have helped us stay up. Just my opinion.

To be honest what ever method of choosing & signing players none are certain to be a success, the stats way or the old fashioned way of scouting both have produced success & failures , for every good signing fans can remember failed signings & vice versa so we can argue all day long about which approach is the way to go , however my own personal choice would be for the manager / head coach to identify targets for every position he wants to address , for example if he wants a striker he provides a list of players in order of preference & then leave the CEO to try and get the deals over the line , if we cannot get the managers first choice then we go for his second etc etc & this where it is in my opinion we have a coach/ manager experienced & knowledgeable about the English league"s & a broad knowledge of players in the UK as well as having good contacts .

Most of which are good players IMO.
    I especially liked Luke Thomas.
    Unfortunately he had medical problems.
    Wilks could have done well under Ismael.
    Freiser was good last season.

Didn’t like Thiam - but he was brought in while the system was getting started.
    Ritzmair was brought in by Struber
    And Benson was brought in by Conway - but there is a good player there.

But there is a point to fans disappointment in recruitment - and I think this has come about because of the influence of Conway - as a scatter gun approach has been added to the statistical formula.
    That is to say - use stats but bring in as many young kids as possible.
    Then get them in the shop window and hopefully one will sell for big money.

Previous to this, just a few players were brought in each season.
    The system needs to get back to doing just that.
    Fewer recruits with higher potential.

There’s positives that need to be maintained - bringing in players and head coaches that play the same high press system - so as players and head coaches leave the club, others can be brought in that slot straight in.
    It’s important that this sort of continuity is maintained.

We should not go back to throwing the baby out with the bath water every time a new head coach is appointed.

To add to that - we should maintain the policy of not signing any loans unless it’s a one off eg a premier player with leadership qualities (eg Molby) or it is a young player with a view to a permanent deal eg Vita.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 16-05-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Most of which are good players IMO.
    I especially liked Luke Thomas.
    Unfortunately he had medical problems.
    Wilks could have done well under Ismael.
    Freiser was good last season.

Didn’t like Thiam - but he was brought in while the system was getting started.
    Ritzmair was brought in by Struber
    And Benson was brought in by Conway - but there is a good player there.

But there is a point to fans disappointment in recruitment - and I think this has come about because of the influence of Conway - as a scatter gun approach has been added to the statistical formula.
    That is to say - use stats but bring in as many young kids as possible.
    Then get them in the shop window and hopefully one will sell for big money.

Previous to this, just a few players were brought in each season.
    The system needs to get back to doing just that.
    Fewer recruits with higher potential.

There’s positives that need to be maintained - bringing in players and head coaches that play the same high press system - so as players and head coaches leave the club, others can be brought in that slot straight in.
    It’s important that this sort of continuity is maintained.

We should not go back to throwing the baby out with the bath water every time a new head coach is appointed.

To add to that - we should maintain the policy of not signing any loans unless it’s a one off eg a premier player with leadership qualities (eg Molby) or it is a young player with a view to a permanent deal eg Vita.
    Just one thing Nudge, I know you like Thomas but I would point out that he did not have medical issues when he signed for us & he certainly appeared to enjoy signing for Ipswich where he proudly held the blue shirt aloft & saying that he hoped it would turn into a permanent move , now what ever his problems were then hopefully the lad is over them & fit and well & given that he was a regular in the Bristol squad in the latter end of the season you would hope that this is the case, I am sure we all wish him well but I never want to see him in a reds shirt again , as a wide player he had pace but never went past a full back & never produced an end product & like I said earlier, he could not get away fast enough , he cost us over a £1 million , Derby had our pants down big style so its a big No from me

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Just one thing Nudge, I know you like Thomas but I would point out that he did not have medical issues when he signed for us & he certainly appeared to enjoy signing for Ipswich where he proudly held the blue shirt aloft & saying that he hoped it would turn into a permanent move , now what ever his problems were then hopefully the lad is over them & fit and well & given that he was a regular in the Bristol squad in the latter end of the season you would hope that this is the case, I am sure we all wish him well but I never want to see him in a reds shirt again , as a wide player he had pace but never went past a full back & never produced an end product & like I said earlier, he could not get away fast enough , he cost us over a £1 million , Derby had our pants down big style so its a big No from me
    He tore Forest apart at their place a few years ago… then was dropped to branch for a few games if I remember right. There’s a player there, but not sure if he’s Championship standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    He tore Forest apart at their place a few years ago… then was dropped to branch for a few games if I remember right. There’s a player there, but not sure if he’s Championship standard.
    Well by some magical quirk of fate I have just logged on Newsnow Barnsley where there is an article about Thomas & hinting that he has unfinished business at Rovers & would not be against a return so it is Ipwich all over again , he obviously does not want to return to Oakwell & that is fine by me but with only one year left the club ought to try & get some fee for him & not loan him out although the fee we recoup will be nowhere near the overpriced fee we shelled out to Derby .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    "Forest" and "branch" Jules--there's a joke there somewhere.

I heard a tale that Thomas found the brutal, noisy, army style of Ismael's coaching too harsh. He needed positive encouragement and an arm round his shoulder but didn't get it and it affected his mental health.
    Could be a load of old pony but that's worra heard.

Thomas was nowhere near championship level and neither was Miller! However we are in league one and they could well do a job for us now they have had some proper game time under their belts? Having said that neither seem keen to return so we are best getting shot of them for what we can get!
    I agree there is a player somewhere in Benson but he has the heart of a pea and has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he is up to the fight of 3rd division football?
    I would love to get Frieser back here at least he ran his socks off and wanted to play for us and seemed genuinely gutted when he left!
    I reckon Kane is a different player now to the one we sent out on loan, a bit like Mowatt and he should be a starter next season in our midfield, Cole has shown next to nothing but did score a fantastic goal in the cup against lower league opposition, I don’t think he’s much cop, but could he turn out to be a good league one striker?
    Don’t forget Jack Aitchson either who had a solid season in Forest Green’s promotion campaign.
    A lot of if’s and but’s, however a decent manager who knows the league would probably be able to get the best out of some of them!

Walton
    Kitching, Halme, Moon, Williams
    Odour, Hondermarc, Wolfe, (Right Winger)
    Adeboyejo, Cole

Subs
    Jinadu, Iseka, Bremang, Marsh

This is what next season is looking like so far, if all the expected players leave and the loans don’t return!
    Last edited by perkytyke; 16-05-2022 at 02:58 PM.

I thought at least two of those were out of contract, Halme and Adeboyjo.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast