+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest v Sheff Utd

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    Forest will be too good for Luton/Huddersfield in the final.

You would think so. We were relying on Agent Sheff to turn them over. Still, you never know, if Sheff managed to get the first goal in the 2nd leg, game on.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I cannot see any situation where forest going up is going to benefit Notts in fact I see the complete opposite & hope it never happens, it could well lead to us losing another 2 or 3 generations of potential fans. Anyone who supported us in the early 70s (pre Clough) will remember when we last genuinely challenged forest for superiority, then disaster struck they started winning things & we are still paying the price supporting them became the easy option & we lost 90% of the young support. Obviously their fan base is made up of descendants of the Clough bandwagon jumpers but over the last few seasons we have seen signs that supporting Notts isn't the weird choice that it was once seen & gates & more importantly for youngsters, credibility that it once was. However such is now the medias obsession with the Premier league that Forest joining the elite & getting the coverage & financial benefits that come with it I fear the worst, even if we enjoy a season of them getting stuffed every week & breaking all records the damage could be already done. COYP
    Agreed.

I cannot see any situation where forest going up is going to benefit Notts in fact I see the complete opposite & hope it never happens, it could well lead to us losing another 2 or 3 generations of potential fans. Anyone who supported us in the early 70s (pre Clough) will remember when we last genuinely challenged forest for superiority, then disaster struck they started winning things & we are still paying the price supporting them became the easy option & we lost 90% of the young support. Obviously their fan base is made up of descendants of the Clough bandwagon jumpers but over the last few seasons we have seen signs that supporting Notts isn't the weird choice that it was once seen & gates & more importantly for youngsters, credibility that it once was. However such is now the medias obsession with the Premier league that Forest joining the elite & getting the coverage & financial benefits that come with it I fear the worst, even if we enjoy a season of them getting stuffed every week & breaking all records the damage could be already done. COYP
    Agree 100%

True. The collateral damage could be even greater this time.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The momentum Forest had going into the play off is key. One reason we need to win tomorrow to keep our bit of momentum.

I wouldn't be surprised if Forest go up this season and it could well benefit Notts with even better players on loan....if we manage to get back in the EFL though.
    No it wont

Forest

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    True. The collateral damage could be even greater this time.
    Maybe we need to take responsibility for our own future rather than whining about Forest possibly being successful. After all we didn’t make much of them being mediocre for c30 years and it’s not their fault we’re in the NL

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Maybe we need to take responsibility for our own future rather than whining about Forest possibly being successful. After all we didn’t make much of them being mediocre for c30 years and it’s not their fault we’re in the NL
    My heart sank when Clough came to Nottingham. Up until that time Derby were the big East Midlands side and Notts were recapturing the remnants of the generation after the Lawton era. His achievements never gave Dunnett a chance especially in the face of falling gates and crowd hooliganism and it was a turning point in the possible rise of our club. If Forest hadn't had that success and Dunnett/Sirrel and co had continued to build on the good work that had been carried out I don't think we would be where we are now despite the Pavis/Warnock rollercoaster ride.

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Maybe we need to take responsibility for our own future rather than whining about Forest possibly being successful.
    Notts did that in 1981, we got less support than we did in the 3rd tier a decade earlier. Imagine a club in any other town returning to the top flight after 55 years having an opening home gate against Manchester City less than had watched them play Halifax two levels lower and still with the same manager and captain. That is an example of the devastating effect Fwords success under Clough had.

The opportunity to return some sort of pre-1959 balance was lost in the mid 2000s when they dropped into the 3rd tier and we were fannying about with the trust experiment. If Fword go up, I doubt we'll get another.

There will always be a Notts County of some sort so long as football is still played in this country, but there is a real danger we will now become about as relevant in Nottingham as Park Avenue have become n Bradford.

Mansfield 2-0 up (32 mins)

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    Forest will be too good for Luton/Huddersfield in the final.
    If f****t came straight back down just think of the 'Parachute Payments' they would get! It goes up by millions every year.

It's almost worth getting relegated from the PL.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast