+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest v Sheff Utd

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastultra1977 View Post
    If f****t came straight back down just think of the 'Parachute Payments' they would get! It goes up by millions every year It's almost worth getting relegated from the PL.
    Norwich must have made a few bob out of it, how many times is it now.

So, watching the Mansfield match and I’m sure I’ve just seen a sign on one of the stands saying ‚Oldest professional football ground in the world‘ that’s some claim, and how true is it? Just surprised really as I’ve never heard them claim that before.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I wonder what the odds are for all three local clubs getting promotion through the play offs?
    I asked that the other week, expecting elite to come up with the goods, odds bound to be available

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    So, watching the Mansfield match and I’m sure I’ve just seen a sign on one of the stands saying ‚Oldest professional football ground in the world‘ that’s some claim, and how true is it? Just surprised really as I’ve never heard them claim that before.
    Not a bad game, no tippy tappy football, slow build ups

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    I asked that the other week, expecting elite to come up with the goods, odds bound to be available
    I saw a tweet from someone who said they had placed the bet at 67 to 1 I think.

As Notts never lost to the Stags home or away in the days when it really mattered to me, I don't have any strong feelings of dislike for them and wouldn't mind seeing them go up.
    They probably would struggle to stay up though, something they haven't managed to do at that level since the season we won our first Wembley play off in 1989/90. They would almost certainly be among the bottom third in terms of support at that level. 12 clubs have averaged over 8k in tier 3 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The opportunity to return some sort of pre-1959 balance was lost in the mid 2000s when they dropped into the 3rd tier and we were fannying about with the trust experiment. If Fword go up, I doubt we'll get another.
    I completely agree. We had the perfect opportunity to try and close the gap around the mid 00’s and compete with Forest in the same league when they were in the third tier. Back then it had only been just over a decade since we had played them in the league. Now it’s nearly 30 years ago.

The mid 00’s was the window of opportunity. It would have reignited some rivalry between the clubs as well. But we could not manage it and instead were bumping around in the 4th tier trying to survive hand to mouth mirroring Forests fall down the leagues.

Our club is in a much better and stable position now despite being in the fifth tier and I do believe we can emulate the Lincoln’s and Luton’s of this world and get back to the third tier.

What a romantic football story that will be if Luton play Forest in the Championship playoff final after being where we are now no so long ago. It gives us hope that we could do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The momentum Forest had going into the play off is key. One reason we need to win tomorrow to keep our bit of momentum.

I wouldn't be surprised if Forest go up this season and it could well benefit Notts with even better players on loan....if we manage to get back in the EFL though.
    Forest didn’t win either of the last 2 games. Drawing the last game with Hull equalising in the 95th minute. A game they made 8 changes for. Yeah, that’s the momentum we need. That’s the momentum Forest had, which did naff all to impact on the impressive display yesterday.
    Whatever happens today will not define what happens in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I know it’s 3 leagues higher, but Forest play like we should away from home, with pace, power and skill.
    I completely agree.

Unpopular opinion: Both Forest and Mansfield have liekable managers and are good teams. We're so far behind them that I can't work up the energy to dislike them or cheer against them. I actually wish them both well (until they can be realistically described as our r i v a l s again).

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I completely agree.

Unpopular opinion: Both Forest and Mansfield have liekable managers and are good teams. We're so far behind them that I can't work up the energy to dislike them or cheer against them. I actually wish them both well (until they can be realistically described as our r i v a l s again).
    For me, I think the thing that stood out yesterday with Forest and Mansfield were how competitive and proactive their midfields are. Credit where credit is due, Cooper and Clough have done amazing jobs considering what position Cooper came into and how Clough turned it around after a disastrous run. Unbelievable to think that Mansfield could be playing Derby and Sheffield Wed and possibly Sunderland next season.
    Last edited by keldsyke; 15-05-2022 at 08:37 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast