+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest v Sheff Utd

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

What a romantic football story that will be if Luton play Forest in the Championship playoff final after being where we are now no so long ago. It gives us hope that we could do something similar.
    And some of us remember what happened last time those two teams met at Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    For me, I think the thing that stood out yesterday with Forest and Mansfield were how competitive and proactive their midfields are.
    Yeah it's pretty much a minimum requirement for any successful team. What a player Yates has become. What we wouldn't give for a player like that!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yeah it's pretty much a minimum requirement for any successful team. What a player Yates has become. What we wouldn't give for a player like that!
    Agree totally, I think if Forest don’t go up you can see a premier league team coming in for Yates,I thought Rhys Oates at Mansfield looked a good player too.

I am sure Sheffield United don't think it's over after yesterday. They will certainly up their game in the away leg. Forest aren't in the PL yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I cannot see any situation where forest going up is going to benefit Notts in fact I see the complete opposite & hope it never happens, it could well lead to us losing another 2 or 3 generations of potential fans. Anyone who supported us in the early 70s (pre Clough) will remember when we last genuinely challenged forest for superiority, then disaster struck they started winning things & we are still paying the price supporting them became the easy option & we lost 90% of the young support. Obviously their fan base is made up of descendants of the Clough bandwagon jumpers but over the last few seasons we have seen signs that supporting Notts isn't the weird choice that it was once seen & gates & more importantly for youngsters, credibility that it once was. However such is now the medias obsession with the Premier league that Forest joining the elite & getting the coverage & financial benefits that come with it I fear the worst, even if we enjoy a season of them getting stuffed every week & breaking all records the damage could be already done. COYP
    I'll tell you a situation where Forest's promotion benefits us: the loaning of players. We could become a trialling base for their new talent, especially local youngsters who might not quite make it at top level.
    Beggars can't be choosers and we have to accept that those days where we mocked Forest's failures are over. For the foreseeable future we are playing a distant second fiddle in Nottingham but at least the first fiddle see a use for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    And some of us remember what happened last time those two teams met at Wembley.
    I do, Nigel Clough scored twice and they won the League Cup.

I know what you're really referring to though and it's amazing how those jammy gits almost always get lucky with relatively minor opponents in finals... Luton (twice), Oldham, Southampton, Malmo, Hamburg. When they have come up against somebody decent, they've lost - Wolves and Man Utd, with the only notable win v Liverpool in a replay thanks to two blatant mistakes by officials at either end.
    Going way back, their first FA Cup win was against Derby who hadn't done anything at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I cannot see any situation where forest going up is going to benefit Notts in fact I see the complete opposite & hope it never happens, it could well lead to us losing another 2 or 3 generations of potential fans. Anyone who supported us in the early 70s (pre Clough) will remember when we last genuinely challenged forest for superiority, then disaster struck they started winning things & we are still paying the price supporting them became the easy option & we lost 90% of the young support. Obviously their fan base is made up of descendants of the Clough bandwagon jumpers but over the last few seasons we have seen signs that supporting Notts isn't the weird choice that it was once seen & gates & more importantly for youngsters, credibility that it once was. However such is now the medias obsession with the Premier league that Forest joining the elite & getting the coverage & financial benefits that come with it I fear the worst, even if we enjoy a season of them getting stuffed every week & breaking all records the damage could be already done. COYP
    Totally agree. I don't buy this good for the city rubbish. It would be a disaster for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Iremongersrighthand View Post
    I am sure Sheffield United don't think it's over after yesterday. They will certainly up their game in the away leg. Forest aren't in the PL yet.
    If Sheff Utd don't sort out their defence then they're in trouble again, forest could have had 5 goals yesterday and that's by half time. Whether you like them or not, they are an impressive side. I wish we could show the relative ability for our level with pace, strength, drive and robustness.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I do, Nigel Clough scored twice and they won the League Cup.

I know what you're really referring to though and it's amazing how those jammy gits almost always get lucky with relatively minor opponents in finals... Luton (twice), Oldham, Southampton, Malmo, Hamburg. When they have come up against somebody decent, they've lost - Wolves and Man Utd, with the only notable win v Liverpool in a replay thanks to two blatant mistakes by officials at either end.
    Going way back, their first FA Cup win was against Derby who hadn't done anything at the time.
    Well spotted - I guess I should rephrase it to "You know what happens when Luton play them at Wembley in a final".

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    The closest player we have to Ryan Yates is Frank Vincent who currently can barely get in the squad. Whatever the opposite is to pace power and skill is many of our midfield who do get in the squad, which is probably why we’ve been so abject away from home this season. Let’s hope the playoffs bring out the best in us as well.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast