+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Wembley v New Wembley?

Old Wembley v New Wembley?

I absolutely detest the new stadium.

The old place was allowed to become rundown which in itself is a crime against the nation given its status in our history.

Cup finals no longer feel like cup finals, same with international matches, the magic has been wiped out due to this monstrosity.

The new stadium should’ve been built to a modern replica of the old place.

Watching the FA Cup Final on Saturday I realised why the viewing experience is so poor on TV, the cameras are actually too close to the play.

The great thing about the TV perspective from the old place was the distance from play and the wider camera angle.

I wonder how many fans still prefer the old place to the new abortion?

Talking of stadiums, that new Spurs ground is fantastic and the home end is absolutely magnificent.

Just shows what proper thought and planning can actually achieve.

Totally Agree Mick, loved the old Twin Towers, visited there a few times.
    While on the subject of yesterday's final, can anybody tell me why Chelski played in yellow when there was no colour clash with the Bin Dippers?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    While on the subject of yesterday's final, can anybody tell me why Chelski played in yellow when there was no colour clash with the Bin Dippers?
    I heard the change was because of superstition on the managers's behalf. That is ridiculous if true and a ridiculous action anyway.

I dislike watching football at the new Wembley (and the Emirates). The old Wembley had character that made going there special. One of the saddest decisions made was moving all semi finals away from there. There are now so many really excellent grounds that could be used for this.

Agree with the Mick about the Tottenham stadium.

Yes but the corporate boxes are splendid don't you know. Every time I see the New I become more convinced that was a massive priority of the design. Best illustrated at play off finals with top and bottom tiers full and the middle bit empty. Grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    Chelsea deserved to lose for that reason alone. As for the new Wembley, it is a mere shadow of the old one, it’s not even close to the standard of the Arsenal ground, let alone that of Spurs. It was a stupid decision build the new stadium at Wembley anyway; getting to and from the place is a nightmare, it should have been built somewhere near the NEC, where there are excellent travel links. As we know, though, London is the centre of the football universe, I remember when the NEC was built, the outcry over the loss to London of the Motor Show! Levelling up? Not in football.

I still don’t get how they never managed to get the roof to close. A huge chunk of the cost was to build an all weather stadium. Epic fail…

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Chelsea deserved to lose for that reason alone. As for the new Wembley, it is a mere shadow of the old one, it’s not even close to the standard of the Arsenal ground, let alone that of Spurs. It was a stupid decision build the new stadium at Wembley anyway; getting to and from the place is a nightmare, it should have been built somewhere near the NEC, where there are excellent travel links. As we know, though, London is the centre of the football universe, I remember when the NEC was built, the outcry over the loss to London of the Motor Show! Levelling up? Not in football.
    the outcry of London losing the motor show,this is one reason I detest super gob Jeremy clackson..when the motor show came to the nec.wasn’t it him who said,why on earth nave they taken it up there.he called Brum it’s like a empty bath with scum round the edges.that I take meaning us.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    According to so many people in this country London isn’t just the centre of the football universe it is the centre of the whole universe and the only place that matters in England.

Unfortunately the only political party that traditionally bothered about ‘north of Watford’ have also fallen into the London trap and are now very strong there whilst hardly moving forward at all elsewhere. Sorry to say it but they don’t even pretend to bother about the geographic inequalities of this country. No wonder they can’t win elections.

Think it cost over 800 million 400 more than arsenals plus £160 million of tax payers money

Would take the old Wembley any day. Truly iconic, but deliberately ran into the ground.
    And what ever happened to Wembley's famous twin towers? They should have been incorporated into the new design, but no doubt they were seen as a reflection of the country's colonial past!!!
    Let's be honest, the new stadium was only ever going to be about income generation. Money, money, money 🤬🤬🤬

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)