+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnsley winning promotion in 1978-79, against Grimsby

Barnsley winning promotion in 1978-79, against Grimsby

Ok first of all let me give credit here to Kendra Tyke who does these vids on youtube, and I couldn't resist sneaking this video on here lol.
    Season 1978-79 ehh, that was before I even became a fan, and it seems such a long time ago now, where do all those years go ehh ?.
    A young Mick Mac getting the Player of the season/year award, before he became grey and beardless and a bit boring many years later lol. And a certain 'Animal' Little being interviewed boll*k naked in the bath after the match, that was very very weird lol.
    And a near packed night where so many bog rolls were thrown onto the pitch, we wun't do that anymore would we, it would be like throwing money away!.
    This like I say was a season or two before I became a Tykes fan, but I do like seeing clips like this, and I love hearing stories from fans who were there and enjoyed it as it happened!.
    What a time it was ehh when Allan Clarkie was announced as the new player-manager in the summer of '78. And we might even be in a similar position now ehh, a club who are just waiting or just hoping to rise from the ashes again, soon, fingers crossed!!.

One of the great night's with the club finally woken from its slumber and becoming the club it really was .

When Allan Clarke walked in to Oakwell in June 1978 for a fee of £55k which was an absolute fortune back then for a fourth division club he lifted the whole club and town .

So many memories of that season , great great season .

Remember as well it was four teams up then and no Play offs in those days, and I think Grimsby, Wimbledon, and Reading also went up.
    Wasn't it also Wigan's first ever season in the FL ?.
    And player manager roles were much more common then, but I think Clarkie decided to hang up the boots that season din't he ?.