+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    In this day and age, I am not quite sure why he felt the need to 'come out' and tell the world which *** he fancies. It was very different back in Justin Fashanu's day, especially with him being black, (again more of an issue then), an incredibly brave thing to do.
    There hasn't been a single active professional player come out in the UK in all those years between Justin Fashanu and Jake Daniels. Maybe it isn't all that different in football, even if things have moved on a lot in society.

In this day and age, I am not quite sure why he felt the need to 'come out' and tell the world which *** he fancies. It was very different back in Justin Fashanu's day, especially with him being black, (again more of an issue then), an incredibly brave thing to do.
    Why a sports person feels the need to let everyone know their ***ual peference these days is beyond me. If he had remained silent, the person in the stands would not have a clue about his ***uality. He has now opened the door, to abuse from the few neanderthals that frequent football matches.
    I doubt it will lead to a deluge of other footballers 'coming out', because as a country we are already very accepting of gay people, and I don't see what there is to be gained from it. We have moved on.
    You talk rubbish on a wide variety of issues, but blaming abuse on the person getting abused is a new one.

This lad coming out will hopefully encourage other gay footballers to consider a career in football when they might not otherwise have done so. The responsibility for dealing with the ‘Neanderthals’ is with the clubs and other fans, not the target of the abuse.

Your final paragraph smacks of the old nonsense about why do we bother with anti racism measures and gestures, there isn’t racism anymore. How do you know we’re ‘very accepting’ of gay people(whatever that means) if you’re not gay? You clearly think he’s going to be abused, how is that being ‘accepted’ ?

20-30-40 years ago, I reckon if a mouthy little gobsh*** well known for berating refs and winding up opposing fans, say in the David Speedie mould, had come out as gay, he would have got dog's abuse, proper nasty and hostile stuff - "You gay bast***" probably among the chants. If it had been somebody in the Trevor Brooking, Ian Callaghan mould, then I would imagine they probably would have been subjected to a lot less than Gordon McQueen got for being a "moron".

Actually, Elton John came out before becoming Watford chairman in the mid 70s and regularly travelled to away games including places like Grimsby and other lower league grounds up north. According to his book, which I've read and it was very good, he was on the receiving end of a chant that went - if I recall it correctly - "He's fat, he's bald, he likes it up the a**e, Elton John, Elton John." which probably gives us some idea of what it might have been like for your average pro.

BFP you are just another arrogant patronising lefty. Expect no different from you. You obviously read all of my posts knowing I am not of the same political bent as you, and being from the 'caring left' you cannot accept another viewpoint. I am glad you think I talk rubbish on a wide variety of issues as different opinions are good and allowed in a healthy society.
    Of course he will get abuse from some, now, that he would not have before. We do not live in a perfect society and sadly there will always be ***ist, racists and lots of other 'ists'.

Of course he will get abuse from some, now, that he would not have before. '.
    So long as he stays at Blackpool, I'd bet on it most likely (or most of it) coming from Preston fans. If he moved to Derby, it would most likely be Fworders etc. etc.

How do we define abuse though and where do we draw the line? Would it be OK for Blackpool fans to chant "He shags who he wants, he shags who he wants, he's Jake Daniels, he's shags who he wants." if yes, would it be OK for opposition fans to sing that? What about "We hate Preston and we hare Preston..... We are the Blackpool, we're queer" or Preston to chant "We hate Blackpool....... they are the Blackpool, they're queer". If it's all about intent, what if the intent is humorous banter?

Last week, somebody claiming to represent all responsible Tottenham Hotspur supporters called for their fans to cease chanting "Sign on, sign on, with pen in your hand, cus you'll never work again" at Liverpool fans because some of them might be offended by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    You're right, I wonder if it's an opportunity to make money maybe? Let's be honest, he's a forward for Blackpool very few people would have heard from, now most people have heard his name and I'm sure there will be lots of companies wanting him for endorsements and such.

Like I said previously, I really don't care about the private lives of players, I care what they do during the match but there seems to be the horrible spectre of celebrity sneaking into even lower league football now
    One of the main reasons sportsmen and women don't come out is the fear of the detrimental impact it could have on their career and therefore career earnings. Former Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas spoke well on this very openly in the past so I very much doubt the reason is financial. Quite the opposite.

Didn’t take long for one of his teammates to be outed for historical homophobic tweets:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61488339

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    One of the main reasons sportsmen and women don't come out is the fear of the detrimental impact it could have on their career and therefore career earnings. Former Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas spoke well on this very openly in the past so I very much doubt the reason is financial. Quite the opposite.
    I'm with Laddo on this 100%, when I read the post saying he's come out for financial gain and he's got a nice career now out of it, it made me sad to think a fellow pies thinks like that. Absolute nonsense. All these people saying he shouldn't have come out, well why not that's who he is and he's proud of it. It must be frustrating to be presumed straight and have to deal with all the questions about girlfriends and who he's sleeping with etc, now he's got it out in the open we all know where he stands and can move on. Good on him and good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Didn’t take long for one of his teammates to be outed for historical homophobic tweets:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61488339
    Good, he shouldn't have been making homophobic tweets in the first place. Racism and Homophobia have no place in society.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I'm with Laddo on this 100%, when I read the post saying he's come out for financial gain and he's got a nice career now out of it, it made me sad to think a fellow pies thinks like that. Absolute nonsense. All these people saying he shouldn't have come out, well why not that's who he is and he's proud of it. It must be frustrating to be presumed straight and have to deal with all the questions about girlfriends and who he's sleeping with etc, now he's got it out in the open we all know where he stands and can move on. Good on him and good luck to him.
    If you read what I put again, you'd actually see that I was saying that it was an incentive to "come out". You know full well he'll be on adverts now and get endorsements. I bet one of the "big 6" will also now be linked to signing him for PR. It's the way the world works and fair play to him if he can milk it. The fact that it's news is just sad, it doesn't matter about your ***ual orientation, the fact that it's being made a massive thing shows how far as a society we have to go

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast