+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jake Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    What do we think of this then............

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/psg-...c9679ece37bb04

Paris Saint-Germain Idrissa Gueye will have to answer allegations that he missed his team's last Ligue 1 match in protest at the division's gesture in support of LGBTQI+ rights.
    So the French FA state that by refusing to take part in this collective initiative, Idrissa Gueye could be validating discriminatory behaviour... and not only against the LGBTQI+ community.

In response, the Senegalese President in effect states that by seeking to force Idrissa Gueye into this 'collective initiative' the French FA could be validating discriminatory behaviour against anyone with Gueye's religious beliefs.

Either they're both right or they're both wrong, but surely the lesson for football authorities is to respect each player's right to engage or not engage in such initiatives, or perhaps better still, just concentrate on playing football FFS!

As I've said before, whether it's 22 players on a football field or 30,000 fans in a football stadium, the only thing you can safely assume they all agree with is that they're there for a football match.
    Last edited by jackal2; 18-05-2022 at 09:35 PM.

I prefer Jim Beam myself.

I'm not bothered about anybody's $exuality. To be honest it causes more issues pigeon holing everybody rather than us all being one.

I didn't dislike Justin Fashanu because of who he slept with, I just thought apart from his goal for Norwich against Liverpool he wasn't as good as his $1 million price tag at the time portrayed.

If Liberace was centre forward for Notts in the 1970s and scored 30 goals a season, good on him. However if he was centre forward and scored no goals over the season and then 'came out', would that make me feel sympathetic for him? No.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 19-05-2022 at 01:37 AM.

The only thing I would care about is his character. Is he a decent human being or not. At the end of the day that is all that matters. Oh and if he ever lowers himself to play for Notts a few decent performances would be fantastic.

This would have definitely been a reason not to come out in 1992, less so in 2002 and so on. IIRC there was a story fairly recently of a group of fans being arrested or an appeal for witnesses over some homophobic chant being directed at Brighton & Hove Albion, so we know that the police would be involved if any player coming out or anybody else made a complaint and it would likely be swiftly stamped out.
    This would not however necessarily apply abroad.
    Less so as the decades pass but still a very valid reason and one that I strongly suspect has contributed to Jake Daniels being the first active professional player I'm aware of since 1990! If you don't think it's been a reason in 2012 and 2022 you must be living under a rock.

I'd hate to know the figures in respect of homophobic and/or racist comments and chants made at football this season and the numbers prosecuted by the police as a result

This season I'm happy to report that I've heard nothing from the travelling pies in the away end in terms of racist/homophobic comments but sadly that wasn't the case last season. Thankfully they appear to be embarrassing isolated incidents, and on the decline but still around in the entertainment industry, I mean football.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Less so as the decades pass but still a very valid reason and one that I strongly suspect has contributed to Jake Daniels being the first active professional player I'm aware of since 1990! If you don't think it's been a reason in 2012 and 2022 you must be living under a rock.

I'd hate to know the figures in respect of homophobic and/or racist comments and chants made at football this season and the numbers prosecuted by the police as a result

This season I'm happy to report that I've heard nothing from the travelling pies in the away end in terms of racist/homophobic comments but sadly that wasn't the case last season. Thankfully they appear to be embarrassing isolated incidents, and on the decline but still around in the entertainment industry, I mean football.
    That’s not the case at home games though. We had a game stopped as someone (later arrested) made a racial comment.
    I’ve heard a player receive homophobic abuse my self. Albeit a one off statement in a tirade of profanities at said player. I suspect the bloke who said it didn’t realise. He is often close to the line and has a liking for abusing opposition goalkeepers 🫣

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    So the French FA state that by refusing to take part in this collective initiative, Idrissa Gueye could be validating discriminatory behaviour... and not only against the LGBTQI+ community.

In response, the Senegalese President in effect states that by seeking to force Idrissa Gueye into this 'collective initiative' the French FA could be validating discriminatory behaviour against anyone with Gueye's religious beliefs.

Either they're both right or they're both wrong, but surely the lesson for football authorities is to respect each player's right to engage or not engage in such initiatives, or perhaps better still, just concentrate on playing football FFS!

As I've said before, whether it's 22 players on a football field or 30,000 fans in a football stadium, the only thing you can safely assume they all agree with is that they're there for a football match.
    Can o' worms ain't it.

You do wonder what rituals and causes footballers will be pressured into endorsing in the coming years, now that we've given the game the green light to push moral and political ideologies. I can actually imagine the players all lying down before kick off. shoving a ball up their shirt and opening their legs wide and up in the air to show solidarity for birthing people's tight to abortion, with applause from the stands, then they all get up and hop like kangaroos around the centre circle to show their support for aboriginal people affected by climate stage, described in serious respectful hushed tomes by the commentator.

UTM 🤣🤣🤣 well it would be funny if I couldn't see it happening

Can o' worms ain't it.

You do wonder what rituals and causes footballers will be pressured into endorsing in the coming years, now that we've given the game the green light to push moral and political ideologies. I can actually imagine the players all lying down before kick off, shoving a ball up their shirt and opening their legs wide and up in the air to show solidarity for birthing people's tight to abortion, with applause from the stands, then they all get up and hop like kangaroos around the centre circle to show their support for aboriginal people affected by climate stage, described in serious respectful hushed tomes by the commentator.
    Ha ha, brilliant! Mind you, that's probably the only way all this gesture-politicking will ever have any real value - namely comedy value!

In the meantime, as a result of this week's revelations, we now know the answer to a question we never asked about the s exual orientation of a player we've never heard of. I'm all for free speech and Jake Daniels should be free to 'come out' if he wants to, but I hope for his sake that he makes a name for himself as a top footballer, which will be far more important to his long-term career prospects and bank account than being the momentary poster boy of the chattering classes.

He can do both can't he? Or are they mutually exclusive?

Unless you think him making this public announcement will totally distract him from his football? Hearing his words the past few days it sounds like he doesn't view it as inhibiting. Only time will tell.

So far he's certainly ahead of the curve, a 17 year old professionally signed to a Championship club and already made a positive step for the LGBT whether that was his intention or just a bi-product of his brave personal decision.

I strongly suspect most 17 year olds as 2nd tier clubs fall down the ladder rather than move up. So if that happens with Daniels then who knows he could have a ready made career post 35 year olds if he wants it. May extend his long term career prospects considerably

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    He can do both can't he? Or are they mutually exclusive?

Unless you think him making this public announcement will totally distract him from his football? Hearing his words the past few days it sounds like he doesn't view it as inhibiting. Only time will tell.

So far he's certainly ahead of the curve, a 17 year old professionally signed to a Championship club and already made a positive step for the LGBT whether that was his intention or just a bi-product of his brave personal decision.

I strongly suspect most 17 year olds as 2nd tier clubs fall down the ladder rather than move up. So if that happens with Daniels then who knows he could have a ready made career post 35 year olds if he wants it. May extend his long term career prospects considerably
    Not if he lived in North Korea...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast