+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Daniels

Jake Daniels

Surprised there hasn't been a thread started on this due to our connections with the late Justin Fashanu.
    I thought it was a very mature decision by one so young and time will tell if he is accepted for his ability or abused for his sensuality.
    Society is a lot more open minded than in JF's day so hopefully the former.

I suppose it has been made a little easier due to Florist having a bit of success and the throngs of closet fans coming out and talking openly about two European cups blah blah blah.

I feel the issue here will be that 99.9% of people are or will be fine with it and get on with life. There will be a very small number of people who make a comment either at a ground or on social media (most likely) and then the media will basically laser in on it like wolves and make it worse than it actually is.

That's the reason sky and the BBC are hawking it, they want to report on the expected few negative comments. Don't get me wrong, the negative comments are not wanted or needed but the vast majority of people won't really care, does it matter if he prefers men to women? Not one jot

Quote Originally Posted by meoldlaner View Post
    Surprised there hasn't been a thread started on this due to our connections with the late Justin Fashanu.
    I thought it was a very mature decision by one so young.
    There's more than one way of looking at this, but unless you're gushing with "Stunning and brave" platitudes whilst doing a little jig and waving the appropriate flag, you're going to be assumed to be a nasty white wing wacist terf. Some people just cannot resist the opportunity to show just how much they are on the "right side of history" and I expect we'll be seeing a lot of that over the coming days.

"Mature" would imply that footballers who have come out to team mates but haven't wanted the media and the world at large to make an issue of it - because it's none of their business - are immature. Not everybody wants to be the center of attention or require the validation of every man and his dog to "be themselves".

No doubt this Blackpool youth will now have a spotlight shone permanently on him and his career progress. I suspect it will be the case that he is very much accepted for his se><ualty, possibly to the point of people applauding, holding up banners and honouring him in song just for that fact alone - assuming he's just an average 2nd tier player - and maybe booed at some point purely for his inability (relatively speaking) or a bad tackle on an opponent. Perhaps those fans will be labelled homophobic for doing so. Will a ref giving him a harsh red card be accused of being homophobic? Will the England manager come under pressure to pick him for the squad simply because some people are desperate to see a gay England footballer?
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 17-05-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Secured himself a nice career in one way or another through the announcement and if it helps him and others feel more comfortable then more power to them.

Personally couldn't care less if all of Notts' players came out as long as they did the business on the pitch. Like it was mentioned earlier I don't think personal life preferences of players are any of our business unless they affect the performance of the individual.

A very brave decision for a 17 year old to come out, the first since Justin Fashanu and it’s likely there would have been dozens of gay footballers in the intervening period. Let’s hope he’s a good example for other young gay footballers who might see that a career in the professional game could be for them as well.

I would hope homophobic abuse is a thing of the past at Meadow Lane, and anyone who shouted it would be closed down by those around them.

I was absolutely delighted reading the news yesterday.

I doubt him being booed will be seen as someone being homophobic unless it's before kickoff or not attached to anything he does or doesn't do on the pitch. On the other hand any direct homophobic comments, shouts or chants should. Embarrassingly you still hear things like "get up you poof" being shouted at Notts away games. Embarrassingly on many levels.

Sadly I'm not confident this will more to follow, but still great news. It's been long overdue that an active footballer has 'come out' in British footballer.

Jake Daniel's brave move can only encourage others, encourage acceptance, and (very) long term change bigotted narrow-minded views. It can only be viewed as a positive piece of news and a good thing for football

I doubt many if any of his teammates or opposition players will care, and hope the vast majority will be supportive. On the terraces and in the stands I'm far less confident.

In this day and age, I am not quite sure why he felt the need to 'come out' and tell the world which *** he fancies. It was very different back in Justin Fashanu's day, especially with him being black, (again more of an issue then), an incredibly brave thing to do.
    Why a sports person feels the need to let everyone know their ***ual peference these days is beyond me. If he had remained silent, the person in the stands would not have a clue about his ***uality. He has now opened the door, to abuse from the few neanderthals that frequent football matches.
    I doubt it will lead to a deluge of other footballers 'coming out', because as a country we are already very accepting of gay people, and I don't see what there is to be gained from it. We have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    In this day and age, I am not quite sure why he felt the need to 'come out' and tell the world which *** he fancies. It was very different back in Justin Fashanu's day, especially with him being black, (again more of an issue then), an incredibly brave thing to do.
    Why a sports person feels the need to let everyone know their ***ual peference these days is beyond me. If he had remained silent, the person in the stands would not have a clue about his ***uality. He has now opened the door, to abuse from the few neanderthals that frequent football matches.
    I doubt it will lead to a deluge of other footballers 'coming out', because as a country we are already very accepting of gay people, and I don't see what there is to be gained from it. We have moved on.
    You're right, I wonder if it's an opportunity to make money maybe? Let's be honest, he's a forward for Blackpool very few people would have heard from, now most people have heard his name and I'm sure there will be lots of companies wanting him for endorsements and such.

Like I said previously, I really don't care about the private lives of players, I care what they do during the match but there seems to be the horrible spectre of celebrity sneaking into even lower league football now

Good on him, I'm sure it took some time to think about it but he thought it might enable other players to come out and not be the first. Most football fans won't care or will be pleased for him he's done it, the small minority of idiots might make an issue of it when their team plays against him but there's dicks everywhere. He didn't have to do it no and could have kept it a secret but then as I say he's probably done it for others and also to avoid the questions of when is he getting a girlfriend or married which must become tiresome especially in a sport deemed a mans game. Well done Jake and good luck with the rest of your career.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-05-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    There's more than one way of looking at this, but unless you're gushing with "Stunning and brave" platitudes whilst doing a little jig and waving the appropriate flag, you're going to be assumed to be a nasty white wing wacist terf. Some people just cannot resist the opportunity to show just how much they are on the "right side of history" and I expect we'll be seeing a lot of that over the coming days.

"Mature" would imply that footballers who have come out to team mates but haven't wanted the media and the world at large to make an issue of it - because it's none of their business - are immature. Not everybody wants to be the center of attention or require the validation of every man and his dog to "be themselves".

No doubt this Blackpool youth will now have a spotlight shone permanently on him and his career progress. I suspect it will be the case that he is very much accepted for his se><ualty, possibly to the point of people applauding, holding up banners and honouring him in song just for that fact alone - assuming he's just an average 2nd tier player - and maybe booed at some point purely for his inability (relatively speaking) or a bad tackle on an opponent. Perhaps those fans will be labelled homophobic for doing so. Will a ref giving him a harsh red card be accused of being homophobic? Will the England manager come under pressure to pick him for the squad simply because some people are desperate to see a gay England footballer?
    I think what we are hopefully moving towards is a tolerant, pluralistic, secular society in which personal preferences, allegiances, etc are viewed with indifference - except where they are obviously harmful to others. I'm not sure what we gain as a society by advertising a particular preference. There is the obsession with all things s e xual. Would there have been the same media circus if a player had "come out" as an atheist or vegan or Buddhist?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast