+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jake Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Not if he lived in North Korea...
    Fantastic news for him that he doesn't then.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Fantastic news for him that he doesn't then.
    Bit of of a bummer if he did though...

Probably the best use of the word 'if' this season lol.

That would be a hell of a commute to Blackpool.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Unless you think him making this public announcement will totally distract him from his football? Hearing his words the past few days it sounds like he doesn't view it as inhibiting. Only time will tell.
    I don't think Jake Daniels' announcement will distract him from his football, and I don't think it will inhibit his chances of being signed by clubs or selected by managers. There was a suspicion 40-odd years ago that some of Brian Clough's team selections reflected his dislike of the social habits of certain players more than his opinion of their footballing ability, but I'd be surprised if many/any managers these days would select a team on anything other than the player's footballing ability and general attitude, such is the need for instant and constant results to protect their jobs!

The biggest risk for Jake Daniels is that his footballing ability and achievements will always be overshadowed by this label of being 'the UK's first active pro footballer in thirty years to come out as gay'. That said, if he goes on to become a top player, I suppose there's a chance he could make a killing by selling advertising for various big moneybags companies desperate to use him as their 'face' to demonstrate their Woke credentials!

It will certainly be interesting to see how his career unfolds and whether his decision works for or against him (or neither). I must say, whenever Notts County sign a player I couldn't give two hoots about their s exual orientation and I'd find it a bit odd if they considered it worth declaring. I just want to know if said player can play like Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

It will certainly be interesting to see how his career unfolds and whether his decision works for or against him (or neither). I must say, whenever Notts County sign a player I couldn't give two hoots about their s exual orientation and I'd find it a bit odd if they considered it worth declaring.

Fashanu's name has come up a fair bit over the past few days. One of my all time favourites and it does genuinely upset me what happened to him. There is however some twisting of the truth now going on and a lot of hypocrisy surrounding his legend.

On the radio this week his niece basically claimed that he killed himself because he was gay and football couldn't accept him and that Daniels coming out might help prevent something similar happening again.

Well OK, it could be on the night he died that he was thinking of Pedro Richards asking him where his boyfriend was and the endless taunts of "What a waste of money" as a result of his Fword career going south - which he might have blamed on Clough's apparent eagerness to get rid of him over his lifestyle choices rather than his lack of goals when he was being selected, but seeing that he was facing charges and a possible lengthy prison sentence for having an intimate encounter with a minor, as defined by American law, I'm inclined to believe that his suicide probably had more to do with the unfortunate circumstances he found himself at the time.

Secondly, the hypocrisy I'm now seeing.....
    Fash is now widely treated as an iconic trailblazing legend who has been inducted into the Football hall of fame, which I have no problem with.
    Fact is though he was involved with a minor (by USA law) and whilst I'm able to put that into context and be as reasonably comfortable as I can be that I wouldn't be celebrating or defending a 'monster' (for want of a better word), what about the general attitude currently being shown towards Prince Andrew? Yes, different circumstances of course, but as with Fash, briefly involved with somebody of a similar or same age, a minor by American law. I'm sure somebody out there will be itching to jump in with a "yes but Prince Andrew....." but it basically boils down to the same thing, or certainly in the same ball park. Yet one is celebrated as an inspiration and the other is condemned with the same word you'd use to describe Savile or worse (by worse taking into account Savile didn't murder his victims).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I don't think Jake Daniels' announcement will distract him from his football, and I don't think it will inhibit his chances of being signed by clubs or selected by managers. There was a suspicion 40-odd years ago that some of Brian Clough's team selections reflected his dislike of the social habits of certain players more than his opinion of their footballing ability, but I'd be surprised if many/any managers these days would select a team on anything other than the player's footballing ability and general attitude, such is the need for instant and constant results to protect their jobs!

The biggest risk for Jake Daniels is that his footballing ability and achievements will always be overshadowed by this label of being 'the UK's first active pro footballer in thirty years to come out as gay'. That said, if he goes on to become a top player, I suppose there's a chance he could make a killing by selling advertising for various big moneybags companies desperate to use him as their 'face' to demonstrate their Woke credentials!

It will certainly be interesting to see how his career unfolds and whether his decision works for or against him (or neither). I must say, whenever Notts County sign a player I couldn't give two hoots about their s exual orientation and I'd find it a bit odd if they considered it worth declaring. I just want to know if said player can play like Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo!
    If it won't distract or inhibit then it should be viewed as a positive action right?

If he's just an average Joe ****age footballer that starts off at Championship club as a youngster, then drops down a league or two but has a decent injury free career enjoying his football until his mid 30s then great. He will join hundreds of others. If that happens and his impact is bigger outside the game than in it that's a bonus. Where's the risk?

If a money bags community take him on purely for his commercial appeal due to his brave announcement, well again that's great for him. Makes a social positive impact and makes a lot of money.

His open declaration is his choice, he has his reasons whether you or anyone finds it a bit odd, you are suspicious or not , is very very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. If it helps others in the entertainment industry or elsewhere who are in a similar position and improves their mental state and happiness then it's another positive move.

I'm struggling to see a negative other than some football fans seeing it as a bit odd.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456