+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The money spent on London transport

The money spent on London transport

Another new tube line Elizabeth and here in the West Midlands W'ton to B'ham metro still suspended after all the weeks.
    Would London put up with it ?
    Leveling up my @rse

It was ever thus. The Sarf East is far more important don’t ya know!
    As for the cities in the West Mids…….if you think you’re badly off try getting public transport in the villages of Herefordshire!
    Council spend f*ck all if you live outside the town boundary!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugmitch View Post
    It was ever thus. The Sarf East is far more important don’t ya know!
    As for the cities in the West Mids…….if you think you’re badly off try getting public transport in the villages of Herefordshire!
    Council spend f*ck all if you live outside the town boundary!
    Just out of interest, whereabouts in Herefordshire do you live?

Wouldn't deny that there is a North/South divide but certainty isn't just up North (and I include the Midlands in this as most Londoners still tend to view anything North of the Watford gap as "North" &#128527 that needs levelling up as many rural and coastal areas also suffer from poor services whether that be transport, health or education.

As for transport, how come it is so much easier to travel North/South than East/West? When you considering how many towns and villages were once linked by rail following the rail mania of late Victorian times things seemed to have gone backwards massively on the public transport front but if you want to be more environmentally friendly and try to get people to stop using cars so much then you have to invest in decent public transport.

Shaving 20 minutes off a rail journey from Manchester to London at the cost of millions that benefits comparatively few is surely not as important as providing better public transport services for those who live in rural/coastal areas across the country which would benefit a far greater number of people? There was a regular rail link between London and the North West already and, yes, it could be improved but those areas were certainly better served than those many villages throughout the country where bus services run a few times a day if they are lucky and journey times are horrendous because the route goes all round Will's mothers.

Dr. Richard Beeching had a lot to answer for.

I live in North Herefordshire…….one of the villages where the public transport is a politician’s joke.
    Good job I don’t live in Shropshire where they have a habit of cancelling public transport on a whim! For example Ditton Priors had its bus service cancelled……just like that!

I live in North Herefordshire…….one of the villages where the public transport is a politician’s joke.
    Good job I don’t live in Shropshire where they have a habit of cancelling public transport on a whim! For example Ditton Priors had its bus service cancelled……just like that!
    I was brought up in North Herefordshire as well, Weobley/ Leominster, until I went to college in Leicester when 18. Beautiful part of the country. I visit quite often but obviously know little about the bus services. Mind you, I live in a tiny village in Leicestershire and the bus into Leicester only runs every two hours. Thankfully I don't have to rely on It.

I live in Orleton, just five miles north of Leominster. Just about a mile from the Shropshire border. As you say a beautiful part of the world. Leominster, Tenbury Wells and Ludlow all equidistant so plenty of shops to choose from.
    Public transport is dire with only four buses a day. Needless to say they don’t coincide with trains at either Leominster or Ludlow stations. As a result everyone has a car; only sensible way to get about timeously.
    Weobley a beautiful village with loads of black and white buildings. Trouble is, the county, like nearly everywhere is being marred by new development not in keeping with the surroundings. Just me getting old and unprogressive!

I live in Orleton, just five miles north of Leominster. Just about a mile from the Shropshire border. As you say a beautiful part of the world. Leominster, Tenbury Wells and Ludlow all equidistant so plenty of shops to choose from.
    Public transport is dire with only four buses a day. Needless to say they don’t coincide with trains at either Leominster or Ludlow stations. As a result everyone has a car; only sensible way to get about timeously.
    Weobley a beautiful village with loads of black and white buildings. Trouble is, the county, like nearly everywhere is being marred by new development not in keeping with the surroundings. Just me getting old and unprogressive!
    I went to the old Leominster Grammar School, left in '64, and we had pupils from Orleton, Brimfield, Yarpole, Kimbolton etc. The school covered quite a large catchment area of North Herefordshire.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)