+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasons over, time for the bin

Would be disappointed to see Harkes away. Offers us something that others don't with his energy and relative pace. Not a holding midfielder and we don't get the best out of him when we play him there. Is better that bit further forward and not sure it will be easy to find better than him. Midfield is a worry though. ?Harkes, Pawlett, Meekison, Mochrie, Glass as our remaining centre midfielders. (Young lads in addition to that.. Moore and O'Donnell) Need some presence/defesive midfielders in. Boy McGeouch is out of contract at Aberdeen. ?worth a shot, although hasn't played much this year and must be a reason for that and perhaps not good enough.

Agree we need to strengthen up front. Watt and Clark are a decent base to work from though. Clark been our top scorer 3 out 4 years and has a good goal return despite rarely playing as a genuine striker and never being the number one striker. Have some youngsters that are interesting/exciting but clearly need something additional. Pace would be ideal. Physical presence too. Just very difficult to know where to find these players!

Niskanen in a second season I think could be improved as a player. Also think he could play up front with his pace. Might be only one striker is needed if we do bring in wingers too to supplement Niskanen

Defensively I think we are pretty strong. Neilson signing on is essential though. Duffy back from loan likely to play a part you would think. Allows Smith and McMann to provide further back up at centre half if playing a 3. Don't think we really need any defenders in.

Goalie seems to be needed. Hopefully just one though. Decent keepers hard to find.

As with others I am not bothered about Harkes - better last season but not great

Levitt would be amazing to have back

We need a lot of recruits for the midfield plus striker and keeper at a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Seriously? 9th last season and 4th with European qualification this? 🤔
    Sorry i cannot hide behind the failure of others, but 44 points last season and 48 this season is a welcome but marginal improvement. We need to be doing better if we want 4th and Europe more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Sorry i cannot hide behind the failure of others, but 44 points last season and 48 this season is a welcome but marginal improvement. We need to be doing better if we want 4th and Europe more often!
    It's an old adage but the league table doesn't lie. If we'd finished with 48 points last season we'd have been 5th. Pretty decent and quite a difference from the 9th we did end up.

We need a GK, a CM and a Striker as a minimum.
    These should ideally be established, high standard players. If we could supplement this with a pacey winger.....we could be looking good.
    I would also like an additional striker in an ideal world.

Minimum- 3 players (GK, CM,CF)

Ideally- 5 players ( GK, winger, CM , CF x2) and if we could get Levitt back...add him to this list!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    It's an old adage but the league table doesn't lie. If we'd finished with 48 points last season we'd have been 5th. Pretty decent and quite a difference from the 9th we did end up.
    Our points last season are slightly skewed as well as our last games were against bottom 6 opposition where as this year we have played top 6. I think judging us on what our points totals were at the split would be fairer.

We need to concentrate on becoming an attacking force which means pace, power and creativity. Especially if we don't want to embarrass ourselves in Europe. Clark has been ****e for 80% of the season and lacks all the physical attributes we need in a player, an impact sub is all he should be looked at and i feel the same about Pawlett. A couple of good games at the end of the season for Clark will not cloud my judgement on that. With that being said we need 2 strikers, a target man and someone with genuine pace. Watt is a quality player, give him some quality around him and with the backbone of this team being so strong we could be a force. I would keep Butcher if Benji is leaving, Butcher has been excellent in midfield or defence this year, be crazy to let him go for nothing. Get big Zander Clark in as our competitors Hibs and Hearts already have the position set then i imagine Aberdeen will.swoop in for Benji.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Our points last season are slightly skewed as well as our last games were against bottom 6 opposition where as this year we have played top 6. I think judging us on what our points totals were at the split would be fairer.
    Sorry bud, we have done better this season than last in that respect with 39 points last season gaining 5 points, 41 points this season gaining 7 points! However, 2 of last seasons bottom 6 teams secured top 6 and we turned a defeat and draw against them into 2 wins.

Don’t disagree with any of those moves. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more moved on too. Would have been good to hold on to Benji, but he Saw out his contract and served us well so good luck to him and all the others, might not have happened for them but they gave their all.

Hopefully this and additional money from higher than expected finish can make some space for wages to get guys ready to come in and improve the first eleven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)