+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of the City?

Freedom of the City?

It’s always seemed a bit daft and meaningless to me at the best of times, but it seems the council is to debate giving Wayne Rooney the honour of the Freedom of the City of Derby.
    As far as I’m aware Reg Harrison, Brian Clough and Adam Peaty are previous recipients - yes that Adam Peaty, who comes from Uttoxeter, trained at Repton and Loughborough and supports Forest - and now maybe Rooney for his ‘service to the City’.

All quite harmless I suppose, if you’re into celebrating the ‘relief from serfdom’ that I believe it represents, but ‘service to the City’?
    Wayne Rooney has done a good job and I very much hope he stays, but he’s also been very well remunerated and didn’t actually keep us up. Surely, if we must indulge in such medieval practices, it would make more sense to wait until he’s truly achieved something before considering granting him the right to drive his sheep down Brian Clough Way or whatever else such beneficiaries are entitled to do.

Thoughts?

I find it embarrassing. Perhaps there's a checklist of requirements somewhere, and he ticks all the boxes, whatever they are. He manages a football club, that got relegated. He's shown enough determination and effort... but how can his efforts be on par with with the greats of this club, or those who serve the city so well outside of football?
    I think it's a generational thing, the current generation have seen no success and so Rooney seems like a god because, it's Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I find it embarrassing. Perhaps there's a checklist of requirements somewhere, and he ticks all the boxes, whatever they are. He manages a football club, that got relegated. He's shown enough determination and effort... but how can his efforts be on par with with the greats of this club, or those who serve the city so well outside of football?
    I think it's a generational thing, the current generation have seen no success and so Rooney seems like a god because, it's Rooney.
    Agreed, Ramshank. Not even sure why they’ve announced that they’re debating it. Places everyone in an invidious position.

Thats a load of *******s! If he gets promotion next season, then maybe there is a case. At the moment, it seems to me he is in a win win situation, he gets paid handsomely to do a job he wants to do, no pressure this season none of whats happened is Wayne's fault so next season is going to be the test.

Well he’s been awarded it. Unanimous decision apparently.
    No disrespect to WR but daft and embarrassing imo. Time debating would have been better spent on removing MM’s CBE...again imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well he’s been awarded it. Unanimous decision apparently.
    No disrespect to WR but daft and embarrassing imo. Time debating would have been better spent on removing MM’s CBE...again imo.
    Removing MM's CBE is not in the power of the council......

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Removing MM's CBE is not in the power of the council......
    Lol...I know, but their time would have been better spent debating and recommending that. What was it for anyway? Hopefully not services to the community!

would be great if we could unhonour random people in this way just because they fall out of favour - Morris, Saville, Blair etc - they managed it for Fred Goodwin, Stuart Hall and Prince Naseem but they transgressed the law. Should we petition the Honours Forfeiture Committee? I wonder how?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...I know, but their time would have been better spent debating and recommending that. What was it for anyway? Hopefully not services to the community!
    services to (his) busness and charity I believe

Giving a Scouser freedom of your city? I hope your home insurance is up to date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)