+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Mansfield v Northampton

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I truly hope so but unfortunately for us, when the going gets tough, we sometimes fail to get going.
    Hope it isn't gonna be a Meatloaf special "2 out of 3 ain't bad" for Nottinghamshire clubs getting to the finals, but I think it will be deep down

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I truly hope so but unfortunately for us, when the going gets tough, we sometimes fail to get going.
    My thoughts too...

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Reminds me a bit of the Notts v Coventry play off semi-final!
    Officials making big cock ups in play off games worries me.It can cost a team promotion.Especially at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Hope it isn't gonna be a Meatloaf special "2 out of 3 ain't bad" for Nottinghamshire clubs getting to the finals, but I think it will be deep down
    Notts have got a hell of a lot to do to get promotion.

If we beat Grimsby I wouldn't be over celebrating.

We had 2 very different displays against a team denied autos on GD. the home leg we, at times, taught them a lesson in how to play football, but eventually got brought down to their physical game as the match wore on. 2-1 probably a fair result.

The away leg, we dropped our more technical players in favour of hardworking physical players. We defended resolutely were solid down the middle and made things happen down the wings.

Two very different matches. Clough got the tac-tics spot on for me. Not much of our best football was played last night, but we managed to win both our matches against Northampton and be clear winners of the tie. On balance, you can't deny that the better team won.

the tackles were flying in.

good luck against Grimsby.

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    We had 2 very different displays against a team denied autos on GD. the home leg we, at times, taught them a lesson in how to play football, but eventually got brought down to their physical game as the match wore on. 2-1 probably a fair result.

The away leg, we dropped our more technical players in favour of hardworking physical players. We defended resolutely were solid down the middle and made things happen down the wings.

Two very different matches. Clough got the tac-tics spot on for me. Not much of our best football was played last night, but we managed to win both our matches against Northampton and be clear winners of the tie. On balance, you can't deny that the better team won.

the tackles were flying in.

good luck against Grimsby.
    Sounds like you are playing the way I wished Notts were playing - with a balance between the fancy technical side and the tough-tackling, physical side. Unfortunately, we only offer the former, and that will probably be our downfall.

You've got a cracking manager in Clough. I'd put you as firm favourites in the playoff final, but if you don't make it, I'd put money on you getting automatic next year.

It just goes to show what a quality manager can do. You can have a talented playing squad and fat wage budget, but without the right man in charge, it doesn't mean much. And after a few years of experimenting/gambling with the likes of Dempster and Coughlan, you've finally gone and got someone with a proven track record. The last time you did that (Flitcroft), it nearly paid off as well.

At Notts, we're still in that experimentation mode. It might work, but it probably won't. As much as I respect Birchnall's coaching ability and desire to play the 'right' way, I'd love a manager like Clough at Notts.

28,000 Wycombe fans at Wembley today if I heard right, Wycombe? 28k?

York on the verge of a return to tier 5.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    28,000 Wycombe fans at Wembley today if I heard right, Wycombe? 28k?

York on the verge of a return to tier 5.
    That's nuts. Don't they average around 5k normally at home?

That's the benefit of being a one-club town. Everyone who lives there will back the team and turn up at the big games. We, on the other hand, exist in a city where everyone is a Forest fan by default. There has to be some kind of special condition to be a Notts fan.

Every team has day-trippers for playoff finals and big away games in the cups at top sides but one team small town clubs have more than most.

After a defeat and a game they never for one moment looked like winning they will disappear as quickly as they arrived.

I would have estimated 20,000 and no more. So 28,000 is surprisingly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    That's nuts. Don't they average around 5k normally at home?

That's the benefit of being a one-club town. Everyone who lives there will back the team and turn up at the big games. We, on the other hand, exist in a city where everyone is a Forest fan by default. There has to be some kind of special condition to be a Notts fan.
    They are close to Wembley but still, 28k is around the figure we took to the Brighton final for a place in the top flight when they were still non-league. This has to be a case of the entire town being whipped up by their local team's success, something we'll never be able to do at Notts unless Fword go bust or one or the other club moves to the other side of town and - over time - it becomes a matter of territorial pride rather than choosing the club with the more attractive fixture lists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast