+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ot - Possible suicide this morning

I don't know the goings on this morning and I don't agree with Acidos comments but it's made me think.

It's sad that someone can commit suicide on a motorway or any road for that matter. Why? Because it involves innocent people. When these suicidal people either jump off a motorway bridge or walk in front of a lorry in an attempt to take their own lives, they are involving innocent people who are just going about their daily business, not only that, they are potentially causing more fatalities. Cars with families in etc. That's shyte in my book- Tomorrow morning thar could be driving darn M1 at 60/70mph and suddenly a body walks art in front o thi or lands from a bridge reight in front o thi causing a serious motorway accident or potential major pile up possibly killing more people. I know these people are obviously desperate but they're no better than a suicide bomber in my eyes if they're gonna do sh1t like that and to innocent parties.

Clark Carlisle (ex footballer) walked in front of a fast travelling lorry but somehow survived. That poor lorry driver was traumatised because he obviously couldn't stop or do owt abart it and thought he was responsible for a fatality. All he did was go to work and suddenly his life has changed in the blink of an eye. Although Carlisle survived, he apologised to the driver who in all fairness didn't want to know. I don't blame him. It's the same when train drivers experience this horrible scenario. They've got to live with that for the rest of their life.

I don't like the fact a human being has died but think about the potential hurt they are causing others by carrying out these selfish acts. Always two sides to a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yes, and I did say it's summat that I would normally be sympathetic about.
    Ok, that's regardless of whether we're caught up in traffic or stuck behind at work for hours on end.
    But (when I think about this more), what about the times when they throw themselves in front of a train, or off the top of a large building.
    Who has to clean that mess up for a start, and what about the trauma that the driver might have felt.
    Then it means the police have to deliver that bad news, and then it means friends and family have to suffer, maybe for years to come.
    And you don't think it's a selfish thoughtless and cowardly act ?. 😕
    Unless you walk in the shoes of someone who wants to end their life I think it's best not to be critical .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yes, and I did say it's summat that I would normally be sympathetic about.
    Ok, that's regardless of whether we're caught up in traffic or stuck behind at work for hours on end.
    But (when I think about this more), what about the times when they throw themselves in front of a train, or off the top of a large building.
    Who has to clean that mess up for a start, and what about the trauma that the driver might have felt.
    Then it means the police have to deliver that bad news, and then it means friends and family have to suffer, maybe for years to come.
    And you don't think it's a selfish thoughtless and cowardly act ?. 😕

But your inital gripe was about being late.

Glad it wasnt me getting a call this morning saying my son or daughter had killed themself.

Those poor delayed motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemsy_Phil View Post
    But your inital gripe was about being late.

Glad it wasnt me getting a call this morning saying my son or daughter had killed themself.

Those poor delayed motorists.
    Hey up Acido !!!
    Faux Pas’s - that’s my job on here not thine !!!
    Very much agree with Phil or Phil on this one (which is obviously a rare occurrence).

I too got caught up on the M62 yesterday and didn't know until now that someone had committed suicide, I missed my meeting! But come on mate meetings can be rescheduled.
    Animal, I assume the last thing people are thinking about, is other people being impacted if they are suffering so bad they want to die, and most likely just want some way to do it that is quick! Whichever way they decide to go has an impact on someone, someone will find them whether it is at home, a field or somewhere remote! Be prepared for more of this as people struggle with bills currently, remember to try and spot the signs in people or talk if it's you, even on this board?
    I can't believe how hard it must be for people to think this is their only choice.

Bottom line is the person was in a very unstable frame of mind and should be treated with respect, but it doesn’t end there, if someone on the motorway hit and went over him that’s another casualty who will have to deal with the nightmares.
    There’s no winners in a situation like this but there’s many losers.

if there going to jump then jump don't wait for the coppers all there doing is attention seeking get to the bridge then over you go.

Mental illness is a very powerful thing. X

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyDaft View Post
    Mental illness is a very powerful thing. X
    Very true BD and despite great strides forward in recent times and people opening up about it , clearly from some posts on this thread there's still plenty to do .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12