+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aston Villa v Burnley Match Preview

Aston Villa v Burnley Match Preview

There was much to be said about that controversial first half injury time penalty awarded to Tottenham but nothing that can be done about it. Burnley can also only lament the second half injury time goal that saw Leeds scrape a point that might prove invaluable against Brighton. It now comes down to two fixtures over four days that will decide our Premier League fate. As things stand, matters remain for the moment in our own hands, but getting a win or draw at Villa Park is the first priority. With that in mind Michael Jackson might stand by the 5-3-2 formation which largely stifled the prolific Kane/Son partnership. Certainly Burnley can ill afford to give Ings and Watkins the opportunities they were able to take advantage of when these two sides met at Turf Moor on May 7th. The return of James Tarkowski, if passed fit, in central defence is one possible change Jackson might make to his starting eleven. Wout Weghorst , Jay Rodriguez and Ashley Barnes will vie for a starting place in attack alongside Maxwel Cornet who scored a late consolation goal in the Clarets 1-3 home reverse.

Aston Villa, who finish their season with a tough away trip to Manchester City on Sunday, will still be looking to finish the season as strongly as possible. Manager Steven Gerrard was disappointed with the overall performance of the side in their 1-1 home draw with Crystal Palace last Sunday. With Ezri Konsa, Kortney Hause and Leon Bailey all sidelined with injury, Calum Chambers and Jacob Ramsey could both be recalled to the Villa side. Buendia may get the nod ahead of Danny Ings in attack.

Both Burnley and Aston Villa have conceded 50 league goals this season but Burnley have scored a meagre 32 goals-only Norwich with 23 have hit the net fewer times. If Burnley are to survive this two game sudden death they will surely need to find their scoring touch. The match referee is Paul Tierney with John Brooks on VAR. Kick off at Villa Park is at 8pm and sunny intervals with light winds are forecast. COYC!

will Villa save their best for the City game - and will Palace be arsed or will they leave it to Arsenal ?

etc etc etc.

...but come Sunday, much will be settled - but a part won't ever be clear.

A couple of months ago a lot of you guys had decided it was all over but here we are with survival in your own hands - a draw and a win at most required. I think most folk would have settled for that at the time.
    Good performance at Spurs (unlucky by the way) and a team that has shown they can do it if they put their minds to it - and they can't be more focused than they should be now.

You can do it.

Someone predicted it could go to the last game against Newcastle where we need a draw to stay up, then Newcastle get a pen in the dying mins, Chris Wood to take it. I shudder to think about this scenario.

Honestly, the best I can hope for is a draw tonight, Leeds lose at Brentford and we stay up on goal difference. I cannot see us beating Newcastle with both Wilson and Trippier fully fit and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Honestly, the best I can hope for is a draw tonight, Leeds lose at Brentford and we stay up on goal difference. I cannot see us beating Newcastle with both Wilson and Trippier fully fit and playing.
    I think last Saturday fecked us BT.Fine margins indeed.A penalty that never was and a extra time equalizer for Weeds.Our luck has run out in the PL.

just checked in on the game....

HT 0-1

Barnes scores from the spot (foul on Corneto) just before the break.

53 mins, Everton 0-Palace 2

Last edited by Norder; 19-05-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Ft Villa 1 Burnley 1

and...Everton beat Palace 3-2

no. thats not a joke.

Last edited by Norder; 19-05-2022 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Someone predicted it could go to the last game against Newcastle where we need a draw to stay up, then Newcastle get a pen in the dying mins, Chris Wood to take it. I shudder to think about this scenario.
    It wasn't a prediction, was just thinking about a nightmare scenario. Good point tonight!

Another tortuous watch.
    It was going so well and then Buendia was allowed to stroll into the box with nobody tracking him. Worse still was the Everton comeback.

BUT...
    You got the point you needed to go into the last game only needing to match Leeds result - and it could be a lot worse than that.

Good luck on Sunday!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)