+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitch invasions

I'm pretty sure I saw Stockport fans jostling the Halifax players after their win on Sunday. As with a lot of things, it's the brainless minority that spoil it for everyone else.

As a general question, does anyone else ever wonder why football, as a sport, attracts the morons and brain dead? I don't just mean spectators at professional football. My two boys play at the weekends and some of the parents and 'managers' are disgraceful in the way they behave.

I don't get pitch invasions - never have. I'd rather see my team on the pitch jumping and dancing and waving to their supporters instead of a horde of people obscuring my view.

Naturally my viewpoint is the opposite of one idiot:

Alan Hardy
    @Bigalanh5
    ·
    May 18
    Are you for real? Thousands celebrating after 30 years! Without emotion, fun and happiness then the game is dead
    Quote Tweet
    Swanny
    @SwannyHypno
    · May 18
    Replying to @SkySportsNews
    Go on the pitch illegally you get what's coming, karma

Players worth millions are being put at risk of either of accidental or intentional injury, I'm surprised that the insurance companies don't clamp down on it.

There no doubt will be trouble on Monday, either at the station, down London Rd or in and around the ground. All a bit too tribal.

I've already posted about this on another thread yesterday, the main point being that pitch invasions are not essential to the expression of passion and experience of joy in this game.

Just thinking about our own history, some of the most iconic images are those showing the crowd on the pitch - With Masson in 1973 and Sirrel addressing the fans from the top of the dugout in 1971 - But the vast majority involve the fans still in the stands, Charlie Palmer running behind the Fword away end after the late winner, the team posing for the photo at Wembley, Ade Akinbiyi getting himself into every photo with the trophy after the Munto title win etc. etc.

I think Notts ought to make it very clear and press home the point that fans must remain in the stands after the Grimsby game. With what's happened over the past few weeks in particular, supporters should have the sense to realise it's not a good idea with the spotlight now being shone on this activity, but some will need to be reminded and probably more than once.

It's disgusting - the goading, taunting and assaults on opposition players...

It won't stop at that, soon enough it'll stretch to fans' own players should they lose (not at Notts, don't worry lads!)

Until now, pitch invasions would happen without this element to them. So what's changed? It can only be the character/behaviour/attitude of the people doing it in 2022. Not a good reflection on our society/country...
    What's the cause? Has social media turned a lot of people into real life trolls? I won't miss the chance to just blame the poisonous tories
    : )
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 20-05-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    It's disgusting - the goading, taunting and assaults on opposition players...

It won't stop at that, soon enough it'll stretch to fans' own players should they lose (not at Notts, don't worry lads!)

Until now, pitch invasions would happen without this element to them. So what's changed? It can only be the character/behaviour/attitude of the people doing it in 2022. Not a good reflection on our society/country...
    What's the cause? Has social media turned a lot of people into real life trolls? I won't miss the chance to just blame the poisonous tories
    : )
    I think what's changed (and I'm not stating this as fact, just my observation) has been the widespread approval and excuses being made from 2020 (by politicians included) for 'the mob' / legitimate protesters crossing the boundaries of what has always - until now - been deemed to be acceptable. Including violence.

Edit: Police behaviour hasn't exactly been what can be described as professional in some cases either. It's been heating up on all sides.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 20-05-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw Stockport fans jostling the Halifax players after their win on Sunday. As with a lot of things, it's the brainless minority that spoil it for everyone else.

As a general question, does anyone else ever wonder why football, as a sport, attracts the morons and brain dead? I don't just mean spectators at professional football. My two boys play at the weekends and some of the parents and 'managers' are disgraceful in the way they behave.
    I manage an U11’s team and I totally agree.
    My players are not allowed to question the ref and neither am I. They all go and thank him after every game and congratulate the opposition regardless of how the games gone. The priority of my team is to work hard and enjoy it. Winning is hopefully the result of that. I don’t care if they make mistakes as long as they’re honest and they’re putting in the effort. Unfortunately that isn’t the norm. I’ve nearly come to blows with opposition managers because they’re berating their own players and a 15 year old ref. And then there’s the parents. Some of them are an absolute disgrace. Berating refs and players. That bad attitude then feeds into these kids.
    More often than not if we play a team with bad parents/coaches, then the players have the same bad attitude. Cheat, foul, argue, basically anything to win. It’s inherent in the game from the moment they start playing at 7 years of age.
    So to go to a game and hurl abuse at anyone/everyone is totally acceptable. So why not run on the pitch and abuse/assault the opposition?
    It’s probably why I’m quite vocal on here about supporting and encouraging Notts.
    Negativity towards someone on a football pitch contributes nothing, regardless of age.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think what's changed (and I'm not stating this as fact, just my observation) has been the widespread approval and excuses being made from 2020 (by politicians included) for 'the mob' / legitimate protesters crossing the boundaries of what has always - until now - been deemed to be acceptable. Including violence.

Edit: Police behaviour hasn't exactly been what can be described as professional in some cases either. It's been heating up on all sides.
    What examples do you have in mind?

I tend to think that whatever's happening is more generalised, with some deeper causes, rather than reactions to events.

I'm watching these games from abroad btw, where they're being shown. I wonder what any non-Brits make of Port Vale-Swindon, Huddersfield, Everton etc....Not just the invasions but the constant spectator shots. 'Passionate' might not be what some viewers think of first.

I don't want to derail the thread and get into that. Let's just say it has been across the board, from far left to far right and everything in-between, with the authorities not blameless either. I'm anticipating the worst is to come and it's going to be very difficult not to get caught up in it, be that on the streets or finding yourself cheering your side on.

We saw the above soon translate into the football world with the protests over the super league, Old Trafford inside and out being the enduring image. Again, authorities not blameless but with fans going beyond what was acceptable and people like Gary Neville, rightly or wrongly, egging them on.

I'll Trump you.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    Its almost like the Covid lockdowns and their subsequent end have propagated a return to some sort of proto-hooliganism in football. We saw it in France earlier in the season and of course with England at the Euros final but now it seems to be seeping down the football pyramid, as we saw first hand against Grimsby in February.
    This is what I thought. I remember pitch invasions from when I was a kid, and it was all just a nice celebration or chance to run on the pitch. I don't remember there being any kind of threat to any of the players. Now it's totally different.

It's ridiculous that players should be subject to physical abuse like that, without any police or stewards intervening. They're just doing their job. Half of them will be at a different club next year anyway. I'd hand out lifetime bans for anyone who does stuff like that. No excuses.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast