+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitch invasions

I won't consider that cause then, and view protests (and the weak responses) as being another symptom of some deeper causes.

Obviously, these pitch invasions are not protests but 'celebrating' has not stopped some appalling treatment, including assault, of the professionals they've paid to watch. Yes it's a minority, but it's popping up all over the place so can't just be dismissed as isolated incidents.

As I said, it's a terrible reflection on us. We're into the 13th year of Tory government. Is there any sense that there can be a start in steering us in a better direction during this parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I won't consider that cause then, and view protests (and the weak responses) as being another symptom of some deeper causes.

Obviously, these pitch invasions are not protests but 'celebrating' has not stopped some appalling treatment, including assault, of the professionals they've paid to watch. Yes it's a minority, but it's popping up all over the place so can't just be dismissed as isolated incidents.

As I said, it's a terrible reflection on us. We're into the 13th year of Tory government. Is there any sense that there can be a start in steering us in a better direction during this parliament?
    How about personal responsibility? It doesn't matter who's in government, assaulting a footballer - or anyone for that matter - is unacceptable. We should increase policing at big games and hand out lifetime bans + prison sentences for those that do it.

Before my time, but I have a keen interest in 1960s football and I believe pitch invasions first became an issue when kids started running onto the pitch when their team scored a goal around 1961ish, TV commentator Ken Wolstenholme called it out as a stupid new trend, I think it was at Millwall of all places but probably TV had a lot to do with it, either with people seeing it as an opportunity to get themselves seen on television (a big deal in those days) or TV facilitating a copy cat phenomena. A bit of both probably.

Saturday 2nd December 1967, another televised match (London region) Fulham v Liverpool, a spectator runs onto the pitch and strikes a player, Jimmy Conroy. By the mid 1970s, following the "legitimised" violence, disruption and destruction of 1968 with police brutality as well police being attacked, we've got segregation coming in - that is to say sections being fenced off at the sides rather than perimeter fences - and we've got reports of fans then charging across parts of the pitch to leap into and get involved in fights in other stands.

So we then go to perimeter fences with more and more police, which only helps create a more menacing atmosphere and we climax with 97 dead in one single incident, all of whom would have walked out of that ground alive had those fences not been there.

So where are we going with this?
    If we're saying we have to allow people on the pitch to celebrate or protest, then you're going to get everything that goes with it.
    If not, what do we do to stop it?

I really don't know. Perhaps we should just play politics with it and blame the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    How about personal responsibility? It doesn't matter who's in government, assaulting a footballer - or anyone for that matter - is unacceptable. We should increase policing at big games and hand out lifetime bans + prison sentences for those that do it.
    Yeah good one SP, personal responsibility too, it goes without saying...But if there are problems to address, is that happening? That's what I'm asking.

Assaults by fans (physical or verbally, face-to face) on players at our National Sport's big games, televised across the nation and around the world, is a serious issue - as most seem to agree on this thread.
    What are the causes? And what's the Govt doing, are legitimate questions to ask, especially of one that's been in power for 13 years and counting.

And what's the Govt doing, are legitimate questions to ask, especially of one that's been in power for 13 years and counting.
    Please don't.

That's what you would get, yes.

Just improving the tone of public discourse, setting a better lead and example would probably be more helpful.

I think we just want players to be safe in the short-term. You can't do your job and then be attacked at the end of your shift. It is alarming because it's popped up in a few places now (so is worth analysing) but hopefully it's something that can be nipped in the bud quickly...

Nobody on the pitch for play-off semis is a no brainer

That's what you would get, yes.

Just improving the tone of public discourse, setting a better lead and example would probably be more helpful.

I think we just want players to be safe in the short-term. You can't do your job and then be attacked at the end of your shift. It is alarming because it's popped up in a few places now (so is worth analysing) but hopefully it's something that can be nipped in the bud quickly...

Nobody on the pitch for play-off semis is a no brainer

The left's solution to calming things down was for the police to take the knee and to paint police cars in rainbow colours. So perhaps if we listen to those people more we might see stewards being trained to wander in-between pitch invaders doing some sort of performative lesbian dance.

This is football's problem and I think the "solution" will best come from within. I put solution in quotes because, realistically, we're probably looking at trying to keep a lid on it as best it can as society at large goes through the **** show that's coming.

I really don't see what lesbians, knees and rainbows have to do with a bloke for Ilkeston head-butting a former Forest player or nasty mob behaviour at Port Vale.

I think we've firmly entered the realm of fantasy and fantasists there. But the Government of a nation 13 years into its tenure seems pretty real to me and has to carry some responsibility for the society we find ourselves in.

I really don't see what lesbians, knees and rainbows have to do with a bloke for Ilkeston head-butting a former Forest player or nasty mob behaviour at Port Vale.
    Oh FFS it was a joke.

Oh ok, hope you're not planning on hitting the comedy circuit

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast