+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitch invasions

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    What the hell has the Government got to do with it?
    All down to point scoring mate, I'm surprised it hasn't been blamed on Brexit, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The left's solution to calming things down was for the police to take the knee and to paint police cars in rainbow colours. So perhaps if we listen to those people more we might see stewards being trained to wander in-between pitch invaders doing some sort of performative lesbian dance.

This is football's problem and I think the "solution" will best come from within. I put solution in quotes because, realistically, we're probably looking at trying to keep a lid on it as best it can as society at large goes through the **** show that's coming.
    Are you sure it's not the entertainment industry's problem

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Are you sure it's not the entertainment industry's problem
    No I'm not. Altamont 1969 and Isle of Wight 1970 spring to mind. Always the potential for trouble with large crowds when tensions are high.

No need to go back that far try looking up Woodstock 99. Yikes!#thearts

Who governs the country is irrelevant, has happened before under both parties. We can all theorise about social/economic influences, the concept that the young do not know discipline etc. Points that can be argued for ever and a day.

From a Florist perspective, the amount they would earn from being in the Premier way outweighs any financial impact of fans being excluded from a few games (that also presumed they wer found to be the guilty party)

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    No need to go back that far try looking up Woodstock 99. Yikes!#thearts
    Oh, I didn't know about that, "three deaths, 1,200 admissions to onsite medical facilities, 44 arrests, and numerous accounts of ***ual assault."

That would even be a bit much for a Leeds v Millwall play off final with all of the police and stewards being given the wrong date and turning up a day late.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I completely understand the idea of pitch invasions to celebrate with your team.
    I actually don't understand the idea of pitch invasions, any more than I understand why a footballer needs to take their shirt off to celebrate a goal. Both are unnecessary actions and both are actually outlawed - one by the law and the other by current footballing rules.

It's perfectly possible to celebrate vociferously with your own team whilst remaining in the stands. In fact, it makes the players less likely to run off the pitch and down the tunnel as soon as possible to avoid being swarmed and possibly injured.

Forty-odd years ago the footballing authorities responded to a major football violence problem with a real crackdown to show that such behaviour wouldn't be tolerated, and it worked. A generation of 70s/80s football hooligans grew old and faded away, and for about 20 years hooliganism became minimal, such that families started coming (back) to football, attendances increased a lot, and security fencing was taken down without any real disorder re-emerging.

Sadly, the spectre of football disorder has been gradually rising again in the past few years and the authorities have been slow to react and stamp it back out. This was apparent to me during the Grimsby home game earlier this season when a large bunch of p*ssed-up, drugged up Burberry knuckleheads were allowed to run amok. The reaction of the police and the football authorities needs to be as ruthless as it was 30 years ago, and that includes zero tolerance of things like pitch invasions, pyrotechnics and substance abuse before games. We haven't reached 70/80s levels of disorder yet by any means, but it will get gradually worse if the fear of God isn't put back into the minds of those who think this is their idea of fun.

Football hooliganism has been crushed before, and with the right no-nonsense approach, it can be crushed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    What the hell has the Government got to do with it?
    Quite a lot actually.
    I'll get back on this tomorrow...

Welcome and congrats on the 1st post on NottsCounty Mad btw

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Quite a lot actually.
    I'll get back on this tomorrow...
    I might be tempted to contribute on that, because I think I know where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Football hooliganism has been crushed before, and with the right no-nonsense approach, it can be crushed again.
    I 'd say it was more of a case of it just going out of fashion, a shift in culture, music was very important then and there are parallels to be drawn there for sure. If not then we're talking 15 years to crush it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast