+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Doncaster is to become a city

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    Does that mean the airport will be Doncaster Sheffield City City
    In light of modern thinking and gender politics it's going to be Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Maid Marion, Friar Trans Tuck City Airport

I understand a lot of locals are intending to celebrate with a new awning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    I understand a lot of locals are intending to celebrate with a new awning.
    And a hedgehog pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    And a hedgehog pie.
    They might even empty the chemical toilet.

Full or not

I might have mentioned this before but once upon a time Rotherham was an important seat of learning along with Oxford and Cambridge.

Then Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and that was the end of that.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    ,,,don't think your history is quite right..........
    Avondale, you may well be right. I'm just going on what we were told at school as kids. I've been doing some more research and it appears Mary Queen of Scots actually did spend some time in Rotherham as you will read from the paragraphs below.

One of the most famous stories about the chapel concerns the visit of Mary Queen of Scots to Rotherham in January, 1569. For many years a prisoner of Elizabeth I, Mary’s captivity became entangled with the time, many years later, when the chapel served as the town gaol. Legend suggests that she was imprisoned here, but the evidence tells us that she was held at a house on the corner of High Street and Wellgate.

Furthermore, she apparently spent quite some time in the Manor House at Sheffield, before her later arrest and taking to the capital to be executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Avondale, you may well be right. I'm just going on what we were told at school as kids. I've been doing some more research and it appears Mary Queen of Scots actually did spend some time in Rotherham as you will read from the paragraphs below.

One of the most famous stories about the chapel concerns the visit of Mary Queen of Scots to Rotherham in January, 1569. For many years a prisoner of Elizabeth I, Mary’s captivity became entangled with the time, many years later, when the chapel served as the town gaol. Legend suggests that she was imprisoned here, but the evidence tells us that she was held at a house on the corner of High Street and Wellgate.

Furthermore, she apparently spent quite some time in the Manor House at Sheffield, before her later arrest and taking to the capital to be executed.
    MQoS had already been taken into captivity before her time at the Manor Lodge Sheffield, it was in fact a comfortable prison during the time it took for Queen Elizabeth to be persuaded by her advisors that letting her live was a credible threat to Elizabeth’s reign and execution of Mary was the only way to protect her own position as monarch.

She was executed at Fotheringhay Castle in Northants Brin (I read about it recently as we were looking at a house there). Executioner missed her neck with first swing, a bit wild like gm_gm's golf swing I expect

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    She was executed at Fotheringhay Castle in Northants Brin (I read about it recently as we were looking at a house there). Executioner missed her neck with first swing, a bit wild like gm_gm's golf swing I expect
    Was it like that carry on film where Kenneth More was having his head cut off when the mailman arrived, and he said, ‘put it in the basket I’ll read it later’ 🤣

Was it like that carry on film where Kenneth More was having his head cut off when the mailman arrived, and he said, ‘put it in the basket I’ll read it later’ ��
    It was as farcical as a Carry On film apparently. Cleaved the back of he head with the first swing, got the neck but not all of it with the second and had to finish it off with a butcher's knife. Then he lifted the head by the hair to show the crowd only to be left with a handful of red haired wig as the balding/grey haired head fell to the ground. No reports of whether he then kicked it around a bit or played keepy up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast