+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pope

The Pope

I have criticized Nick in the past because of his distribution but credit where it is due-he was absolutely magnificent,world class and MOM last night.His distribution has also vastly improved since SD left.
    He has to be worth £30-40m

You make a good point CIB.

Much has been said about the lack of quality in the team. What we are now seeing gives a lie to that. We are not that bad.

The “mot du jour” is that we are playing with more freedom.

That tells me that it was not down to poor quality players, but diktats from Dyche about what they should do or not do - Pope always kicking long being a prime example.

I've held my hand up about Nicko before, but I'll do it again, I wasn't convinced when he took over, always preferred Tom, but he just gets better and better. I know Pickford has never let England down, but how on earth he keeps Nick out of the England team I have no idea.

On the point Swiss makes about Sean, I'm still struggling to see much difference since MJ took over. One point out six against a mediocre Villa team already 'on the beach'. 28% possession last night, outshot 22-10, pass completion rate 68% to Villa's 90%, corners 13-6 to Villa, tackles won 54% to Villa's 62%. 5 at the back, parking the bus you might call it, Pope playing out of skin to keep us in the game.

Not knocking MJ, sacking Sean could have been catastrophic, but credit to him and the players, they've kept the show on the road, but how was last night an improvement on how we played under Sean ?

We got a point. Before ,I’m not sure we would have. The one save that Pope made low down was outstanding. It’s there for all to see, he’s an outstanding keeper. He even got a hand to Buendia’s goal but it was just too powerful. Definitely better than Pickford, definitely Englands number one . A pity Southgate doesn’t see it that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I've held my hand up about Nicko before, but I'll do it again, I wasn't convinced when he took over, always preferred Tom, but he just gets better and better. I know Pickford has never let England down, but how on earth he keeps Nick out of the England team I have no idea.

On the point Swiss makes about Sean, I'm still struggling to see much difference since MJ took over. One point out six against a mediocre Villa team already 'on the beach'. 28% possession last night, outshot 22-10, pass completion rate 68% to Villa's 90%, corners 13-6 to Villa, tackles won 54% to Villa's 62%. 5 at the back, parking the bus you might call it, Pope playing out of skin to keep us in the game.

Not knocking MJ, sacking Sean could have been catastrophic, but credit to him and the players, they've kept the show on the road, but how was last night an improvement on how we played under Sean ?
    I think he has realised with the players we have the SD tactics are the only way we are going to get points.He tried to be expansive when we played Villa at the Turf and you know the result so we have reverted to type and scored a what could be precious point.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    We got a point. Before ,I’m not sure we would have.
    But that's speculation Mal, we got a point at Leicester, Southampton, Chelsea, Wolves, Arsenal, Palace and won at Brighton under Sean, so why not at Villa ? My point is more about performances, I'm not seeing a big difference.

But that's speculation Mal, we got a point at Leicester, Southampton, Chelsea, Wolves, Arsenal, Palace and won at Brighton under Sean, so why not at Villa ? My point is more about performances, I'm not seeing a big difference.
    They certainly have the "Togetherness" back and Jackson is not afraid to drop the big name, big ego players.

I have on record my thoughts on what I think of Sean Dyche, but I think he had gone stale.

If we get the result we all want on Sunday, Pace will no doubt be clasping his Bible and praying to whatever God he believes in.

I think Sinkov in MJ s defence the only real difference is as the players have said that we do play with a bit more freedom - Sean was very rigid in shape but our only out ball from that was hoof it and hope we could feed of scraps in the oppositions last third - we do imo anyway try and play what I would call proper football - I think all Burnley fans accept that the squad is weaker than many in this league and requires a complete overall.
    I’ve mentioned before my dad has been watching 60 plus years and up until Dyche leaving my journey home every week involved me what can only be described as moaning about how dire the football was , there is a little more hope - optimism in those journeys of late.

Did you try the Cabalie ?

IMHO Pickford has singlehandedly saved Everton from the drop in the last few weeks. Same goes for our Nick.

I hope they have both done enough to relegate Dirty Weeds.

Do we think he’ll tour the town in his bullet proof glass mobile if we survive ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)