+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summing up this season

Summing up this season

If you can actually be bothered after that Game.
    Highs...Courtinho
    Lows....far too many to mention, avoiding the drop maybe?
    Player of the season....Cash
    Who's out, probably half the team, what do we need for next season....A bloody miracle!

19 losses, 8 teams doubled us, a midfield that can’t string 2 passes together, and a forward that couldn’t finish a Sunday dinner.

Poor season, but the transition does appear to have wings. Digne, Coutinho, and the free transfers of Kamara and Chambers are very promising. Hopefully a huge clearout in the summer.

Loosing Grealish in the summer set us back and almost impossible to replace.

I agree a big clear out needed but on the possitive side i think we will get our money back or more on most. Kamara looks like a very good coupe and a huge prospect. Obviously an upgrade on Luiz or Nkamba.

In a word - disjointed, we don't do draws and lost most of our 19 by the odd goal because we only turn up for 45 minutes + our strikers don't finish enough chances.

Promising signs though as has been said, Digne, Chambers, Coutinho have settled quickly, Buendia's made good contributions and at times we have played some lovely football. Great to hear we now have a DM!

I agree westy and what we lost was continuity. Ok we added Ings Buendier and Bailey in the summer but it didnt actually improve us. Throwing all these players together didnt work.

OK let's pretend Bailey managed to stay fit and showed the best of himself, he would've bagged a few goals & assists.

Buendia arrived undercooked but has impressed in the 2nd half of the season, scored a few and made some assists.

Ings has scored a few (not enough I'll agree) and assisted too, perhaps the latter two combined have not quite totalled the contributions of Jack in the games he played in last season but not a million miles away. The purpose was to spread his contributions across the team so we start to look more balanced, when you start to look at Coutinho & Ramsey plus McGinn in a more advanced position we are getting there.

Digne is an upgrade on Targett too, Jack's irreplaceable but when he had an off day we really did struggle, now it's less of an issue.

Just had a look on YT at Kamara's clips in 2022 - we have got ourselves one hell of a player who has plenty of experience, he will run the show.

I agree with most of that. Going forward out of the ones you mentioned i would keep Buendier and think he could be a top player with better players around him. Yes Digne and Courtinho were very good signings. I would sell ings and Bailey for sure and invest in a top quality forward that will really get us excited. Nothing against Ings but hes a mid table player imo.
    Love him or hate him i think Suarez will be here within a few weeks.

Bongo, we are mid table....Just!

I don't think a big clear out is needed. With Kamara coming in it means we get the best Douglas Luiz, as he can play further up the pitch.

Rumours of Watkins being targeted by other teams is interesting because that lad works very hard for the team, out of possession.

If we can get another holding midfielder (Bissouma) it means we can play with 2 defensive midfielders, who cover for our wing backs bombing on. And offer more protection to our defence that would be bolstered by a free signing of Tarkowski.

I would let Ings go (somewhere like Leeds) as I don't think he and Gerrard have a particularly good relationship. If we were to land Suarez. I would keep Watkins for his work rate. I would have Cameron Archer come off the bench and see where we stand by January as to whether we need anyone else in the door.

Martinez

Digne (Young)
    Mings(Chambers
    Tarkowski (Konsa)
    Cash

Bissouma
    Kamara

McGinn (Ramsey)
    Coutinho (Beundia)
    Luiz (Chukky)

Suarez (Watkins, Archer)

I think it may be time to adopt a back 3 with Digne and Cash bombing on, has to be 1 up front and the diamond in midfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)