+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colin Slater Intro

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Trying to think now if that was before or after the new stand on County Road (built 1992) got named after Sirrel, there was a delay, at least a few years.

If Sirrel got the much more significant honour before Tommy got his token gesture then it must have stuck in the throat a bit, seeing that Sirrel got rid of him a few months after being appointed manager, Lawton then being 1 year into a scout/coaching role and being at least some way responsible for bringing in Jon Nixon (who played a very significant part in the early Sirrel success) and possibly a few others (Richie Barker?).

Obviously Sirrel had more long term impact whilst being present, but for me there's no or far less opportunity for Sirrel to achieve what he did without the Lawton era having done enough to ensure Notts could survive Fwords success 1959-1968.

I do acknowledge Lawton's disastrous year as manager in 1957/58, maybe it is all down to that.
    When I get on duty later I'll ask Tony Cuthbert club secretary when did we re name the county Rd stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    When I get on duty later I'll ask Tony Cuthbert club secretary when did we re name the county Rd stand
    Might be late 1993, definitely renamed by October 1994, still got my ticket for the Tottenham League Cup tie (won 3-0) and that has J.S Stand printed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Might be late 1993, definitely renamed by October 1994, still got my ticket for the Tottenham League Cup tie (won 3-0) and that has J.S Stand printed on it.
    Just asked it was the same time as Jimmy passing

With the best will in the world, I can't imagine anything less motivational or inspiring than Uncle Colin's dulcet tones, God bless him

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Just asked it was the same time as Jimmy passing
    That was 2008!
    "The Jimmy Sirrel Stand" hoardings are clearly visible on the squad photo for the 1996/97 season. They aren't there on the 1993/94 squad pic, but as I say, "J.S stand" is printed on my October 1994 match ticket, so that would narrow it down to late 93 to Autumn 94.
    Before Lawton's bar anyway. So Tommy would have known then that he was never going to be held in anything like the same regard - club legend wise - as Sirrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12