+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current state of play

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    . We have heard from Rooney that he wants to keep 95% of the squad and that all the squad want to play for him. There comes a point where players will NEED to sort their future out and they will no longer wait around just in case DCFC gets sorted and we can offer contracts. Simply realism on my part at this juncture.
    It would be interesting to see the wages these 95% are on though.
    Any new contract negotiations are going to be massive reductions, to comply with the reduced income.
    Players like Bielik have to go. You can have 6 good potential youngsters for his wages. Even if you can afford to pay him anyway. He must be on 20k a week?

That's the crux of the matter though rA. As things stand we have 3 players plus possibly 2 more IF the EFL eventually allows us to trigger options. No idea what, if any, sanctions we'll have next season. It's not a solid foundation to be predicting autos or even playoffs for that matter. This time next week players can talk to other clubs. We have heard from Rooney that he wants to keep 95% of the squad and that all the squad want to play for him. There comes a point where players will NEED to sort their future out and they will no longer wait around just in case DCFC gets sorted and we can offer contracts. Simply realism on my part at this juncture.
    It is indeed...but I note that a lot of work is being done on the Pride Park pitch at the moment in readiness for next season and I think there are more reasons for optimism than pessimism at the moment.
    As I said...I’m not one of those who believes in some sort of guaranteed success next season but having us in League One, as a result of our 21 points deduction and not as a reflection of our ability, is the equivalent of a team like Palace, Newcastle or Villa being relegated to the Championship for ‘wrongdoing’. If that had happened they’d be amongst the favourites to return next season.
    It’s the same for us, imo...PROVIDING the problems we both agree on can be sorted and there are no further sanctions which I honestly don’t see any reason for at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    It would be interesting to see the wages these 95% are on though.
    Any new contract negotiations are going to be massive reductions, to comply with the reduced income.
    Players like Bielik have to go. You can have 6 good potential youngsters for his wages. Even if you can afford to pay him anyway. He must be on 20k a week?
    Wages are all guesswork aren't they? I just Googled "Derby County player wages" and had a look at a few sites. They don't agree with one another. One had Roos on 18K, another had him on 5K. Most of the younger lads wages were in the same ball park though. Thomson, Cashin McDonald and a couple of others on around 900. Sibs on 1800, Festy 1700. I've seen Bielik at between 17K and 23K. Let's split the difference and go for 20K We could indeed pay half a dozen wages rather than Bielik's but how much would we lose in performance? Also, depending on which rag/clickbait site you read, we still owe Arsenal between £5M and £8M for him. What might we get for him? IMO not a lot. He needs to prove his fitness. Played 21 games in 19/20 and then did his ACL. Out for the rest of that season plus till January of the following season. Came back and in his 13th game he did the ACL again. Out for a year. This year he managed 15 appearances starting with his return from the bench against Brum and that 96th minute goal. Took a fair few knocks and missed the last 4 games with injury. Yet tp prove his long term fitness. £2M at best maybe? We'd still owe Arsenal between 3M and 6M on him. Hardly good business is it?

Wages are all guesswork aren't they? I just Googled "Derby County player wages" and had a look at a few sites. They don't agree with one another. One had Roos on 18K, another had him on 5K. Most of the younger lads wages were in the same ball park though. Thomson, Cashin McDonald and a couple of others on around 900. Sibs on 1800, Festy 1700. I've seen Bielik at between 17K and 23K. Let's split the difference and go for 20K We could indeed pay half a dozen wages rather than Bielik's but how much would we lose in performance? Also, depending on which rag/clickbait site you read, we still owe Arsenal between £5M and £8M for him. What might we get for him? IMO not a lot. He needs to prove his fitness. Played 21 games in 19/20 and then did his ACL. Out for the rest of that season plus till January of the following season. Came back and in his 13th game he did the ACL again. Out for a year. This year he managed 15 appearances starting with his return from the bench against Brum and that 96th minute goal. Took a fair few knocks and missed the last 4 games with injury. Yet tp prove his long term fitness. £2M at best maybe? We'd still owe Arsenal between 3M and 6M on him. Hardly good business is it?
    Well I agree it isn't.
    But do you keep paying for his transfer+ 20k a week for a player not on the pitch?
    That's dead money mucker

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Well I agree it isn't.
    But do you keep paying for his transfer+ 20k a week for a player not on the pitch?
    That's dead money mucker
    Looking deeper at the Bielik question...... who is going to take a punt on him? Will a Championship club take a punt on a £2M transfer and similar/higher wages to what he's currently on? I doubt it very much. Is Bielik going to sign a contract elsewhere at £10K a week? I doubt it very much. Ergo a transfer is highly unlikely unless we let him go for nowt and that isn't going to happen, now, is it?

Looking deeper at the Bielik question...... who is going to take a punt on him? Will a Championship club take a punt on a £2M transfer and similar/higher wages to what he's currently on? I doubt it very much. Is Bielik going to sign a contract elsewhere at £10K a week? I doubt it very much. Ergo a transfer is highly unlikely unless we let him go for nowt and that isn't going to happen, now, is it?
    Far too logical, MA.
    Best case scenario is that Bielik can manage a Forsyth style recovery. Tbh I thought Fozzy’s football - not just his DCFC - career was finished a couple of years ago but all credit to him and he’s come back really well so it can be done.
    If Bielik can do the same we have a game changing League One player on our hands, but I suspect we can’t build our ambitions around him and, as you suggest, I doubt anyone else is likely to at the price/cost that would be involved.

P.S. Although still only 24, Bielik’s career began eight years ago and he has still only made 96 first team appearances...the majority for us and Charlton (also when in League One). Tells a tale to any potential suitors I suspect.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-05-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Looks like Byrne will go if media reports are to be believed. Think Lawrence will as well. But never mind all this talk of players, we need the situation with the ground sorted and the takeover confirmed this week!

Now hear that the City Council aren't buying, haven't got £20 million, so looks like a lease from Morris then?

A lease which will not enable MM to clear the MSD debt presumably, and will also not remove the charge against the ground. Somehow I cannot see such a lease being on the existing terms of £ 1m pa given the rising interest rates, and the cessation of ownership relationship - although hopefully that rate may be locked in for a while under the existing arrangements.

I guess we'll all just have to keep on guessing the guesstimates until such time as something actually happens..... I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    A lease which will not enable MM to clear the MSD debt presumably, and will also not remove the charge against the ground. Somehow I cannot see such a lease being on the existing terms of £ 1m pa given the rising interest rates, and the cessation of ownership relationship - although hopefully that rate may be locked in for a while under the existing arrangements.
    Who knows, presumably CK is playing hard ball to get either advantageous lease terms or sale price, on the basis he could take the club elsewhere and leave Mel with an asset with very little revenue?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)