+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs.Grimsby 23.05.22

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    We were on a "run" the last 7 games because we won 6 out of 7. These teams were in the bottom half of the table. Not one victory was a convincing performance. We should have been "all guns blazing" last night, after the so called run. I thought success builds confidence. For some reason it doesn't at Notts & was the same under Ardley. Something wrong at the club mentally possibly.
    The Owners will start to find out how things turn sour next season if we don't hit the deck straight away. Fans patience will start to wear thin.
    Turns out Ardley was at the game tonight, bet he was laughing is head off, better than IB at Notts as 3rd place and final, better at Solihull 3rd place and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Turns out Ardley was at the game tonight, bet he was laughing is head off, better than IB at Notts as 3rd place and final, better at Solihull 3rd place and ...
    Wasn't Ardleys biggest fan by a long stretch, but convinced the owners are having a input with how we play. 2 Coaches same style problems.

Wasn't Ardleys biggest fan by a long stretch, but convinced the owners are having a input with how we play. 2 Coaches same style problems.
    I was not either could never get past him relegating us from league 2 , but he looks better than IB in the National league

As for the owners see my previuos post, they are happy with the national league, and want a long term plan playing there tippy tappy football

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    He was sitting next to Parkinson but left before extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I thought Brunt had a decent game to be honest.
    So did I

Can't wait 'til he goes. 20 goals should have at least 25/30 with the attacking play. Not agile enough. One of the reasons our build up play up front so slow. All he does is hold the ball up. Sam more mobile
    irresponsible

That is why he is playing in non league, how many 20 goal strikers do you find?I
    Be careful what you wish for.

Got no complaints about last night, Grimsby deserved the win from start to last and showed us how to play in this league. Mixed it up, pace, power, height, a midfield that stopped us running through, dynamic, they were the better team all game. We're too slow on the build up and the amount of times they streamed through our defensive midfield area was easily 15-20 times. No one to tackle and if it wasn't for Cameron and Lacey it would have been embarrassing and still Grimsby could have scored 4 or 5. Both their goals from set pieces, still can't defend them since coming down but we have a team of midgets. We will never get out this league unless IB wakes up, gets some height, pace and steel especially in the middle of the park but I don't think he'll change anything.

The problems have been obvious last season and this and still not addressed. If he doesn't rectify it in the summer with some signings of the type we need he can do one for me. Hurst showed us how to manage in this league last night.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I clicked on that link and unfortunately it worked. But you could have warned me it was a Hitchcock horror/suspense movie with a PHYSCO stabbing a man in the back some 95min 50secs in. I've had nightmares all night and woke up thinking it was just a bad dream. At my age I ought know better.

Getting curious now as to what Tier 6 looks like.

So here we are another season in non-league. We got what we deserved last night and it showed why we were never challenging for the title and the frailties and weaknesses that have blighted us all season.

We just did not seem “at it” from the get go and in fairness Grimsby got their tactics spot on which is to stop us playing football. They pressed us well and gave us no space. They forced mistakes and errors from us in our own half which then put us under pressure. We tried to get the ball down the channels but in the final third the weight of our passes were to heavy on occasions so came to nothing. Or we were picked off. There were a number of occasions where we were a kick or pass from going on the counter attack but it broke down or we were too slow. Too many crosses were allowed into our box and we let them run at us from the halfway line to the edge of our box without putting a tackle in. At times we looked like we lacked energy and as though Grimsby had an extra player. At one point it looked inevitable that Grimsby would score first. After we scored the penalty that was our chance to be ruthless and go on and finish the job and put the game to bed but we couldn’t and instead it was a repeat of what we’ve seen before this season whereby we got pushed further and further back and ultimately collapsed and could not see the game out. The first half of extra time was about the best we played the entire game.

There are no complaints from me we’ve never looked the deal all season and we have lacked the aggression, leadership and character and mental toughness required to be champions or to get promoted.

Grimsby’s tactics were as old as the hills high balls over the defence and behind into space, cross field balls from RB or LB into space behind and putting into the ball into the box and into the mix from set pieces. Much the same as the Cowleys and Mr Yer Know (Paul Cox) the classic way teams at this level win games and have got out of this league. Coupled with that aggression. There was about one or two players who would get in the Notts team, but Paul Hursts team are the ones in the semi final just like Gary Johnson’s team got to the final last season.

We’ve now finished in our lowest ever league position and have fallen at the Quarter final stage of the playoffs. Year on year at this level we’ve stepped back. The first year it was 3rd and the playoff final. In fairness this season has been really strong. The best thing for us now is for Wrexham to get out of this league because if they don’t they will be all but guaranteed top spot next season.

As for us we’ve had three seasons at this level now. The club must know what’s missing to get out of this league. We can play football but we have to learn to play to what’s happening rather than sticking to script and learn how to win against the lesser sides. Plus get in some “animals” to provide that leadership and mental toughness to go on and put games to bed. Until we do we will never get out of this league.

Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 24-05-2022 at 06:59 AM.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast