+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Match Thread vs.Grimsby 23.05.22

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    BFP
    "We actually managed the game really well until Richardson’s brainfart."

Really? I thought it was all one way traffic! Why didn't we counter attack to relieve the pressure &/or finish the game off?
    I thought we were under pressure for long spells and were somewhat fortunate to take the lead, but having done so we still couldn't keep the initiative. Let's be honest, the team proved last night what we probably already knew: we're not ready to go back up yet.

We didn’t play well, but I don’t think we played terribly either. It was a typical play-off game, nervy and edgy with very few clear chances for anyone.

The problem is that our only way of winning is playing well, because as we’ve proved time and time again we don’t have the mental strength or resilience to see out a result when playing badly, even when we’ve got ourselves into a winning position.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    The problem is that our only way of winning is playing well, because as we’ve proved time and time again we don’t have the mental strength or resilience to see out a result when playing badly, even when we’ve got ourselves into a winning position.
    This.

The art of winning titles and promotion is to grind out results when you're having off days, and it stands to reason that players in Division 5 are far more prone to inconsistency than players in the Premier League at teams like Manchester City. Successful managers set up their teams to cover their weaknesses and maximise their strengths. I'm afraid IB - to a certain degree - does the opposite, such is his obsession with playing a certain style. His mantra when it goes wrong is that the players didn't carry out Plan A well enough, but sometimes that's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    This.

The art of winning titles and promotion is to grind out results when you're having off days, and it stands to reason that players in Division 5 are far more prone to inconsistency than players in the Premier League at teams like Manchester City. Successful managers set up their teams to cover their weaknesses and maximise their strengths. I'm afraid IB - to a certain degree - does the opposite, such is his obsession with playing a certain style. His mantra when it goes wrong is that the players didn't carry out Plan A well enough, but sometimes that's going to happen.
    Or Plan A is sussed out by the opposition and he doesn't have a Plan B. From the last home match, it was obvious that Grimsby would pressurise us but we turned up with the same old tippy tappy formula.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Or Plan A is sussed out by the opposition and he doesn't have a Plan B. From the last home match, it was obvious that Grimsby would pressurise us but we turned up with the same old tippy tappy formula.
    In general agreement with the last few posts & previously ad infinitum....

What's really frustrating is that we are not far off success. We just need to be a bit more physical - and flexible enough to mix up the tactics when necessary. Only the management team do not seem able to see this &/or change.

Very true Mark. The management team and the squad do a lot of things very well but there are blindingly obvious weaknesses which have shown themselves for a lot of the season. If they aren't addressed we certainly won't win the league, probably won't get promoted next season and therefore the manager should be let go.

Managers tend to be stubborn due primarily to the self belief needed to do the job and to ultimately be successful. The really good ones can adapt , makes the small but key changes to become successful.

Having just watched the highlights, I have to say we were robbed. I don't give a rat's a*s about deserved this, deserved that rubbish. The hard facts are we should have had a second penalty, and their winner was a)offside and b)handled into the net, which I called in real time.
    I have to say however that Richardson does not have a brain in his head, exactly what did he hope to achieve from pushing, however gently, (which makes it even worse) their player in the back, who was facing away from goal.
    I am not saying this because we were on the wrong end of these decisions, but surely VAR has to be used in such important games.
    Oh yes just to add JOB should never have been booked. Sousa should have been booked for play acting.
    All very disappointing, and surely Notts are due some luck in a play off game.
    COYP

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021