+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ot - The cost of living

ot - The cost of living

Gas….Up…
    Electric….Up.
    Petrol ….Up…..
    Milk….Up….
    Beef……Up……
    Chicken….up.
    Dog food up….
    Cornflakes up….

So how come a 70cl of Gordon’s Gin is still £14!! And a bottle of 19 Crimes is still £7…

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Gas….Up…
    Electric….Up.
    Petrol ….Up…..
    Milk….Up….
    Beef……Up……
    Chicken….up.
    Dog food up….
    Cornflakes up….

So how come a 70cl of Gordon’s Gin is still £14!! And a bottle of 19 Crimes is still £7…
    Now there's a question .

Shall I answer it in my opinion ?

Many many ingredients to this pie Jules , Brexit , the country trying to wean itself off cheap labour , energy supply and demand crisis , Ukraine , unscrupulous supply chain is in there too I reckon .

Politicians with gimmick policies that try to keep themselves popular as in yours and mine £400 of free money to pay our gas bill that ultimately brings a recession or even a depression ever closer .

That proposal was first suggested by Labour by the way and acted upon by Johnson so both are complete w@nk stains as far as I'm concerned .

Free money , ain't no such thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Gas….Up…
    Electric….Up.
    Petrol ….Up…..
    Milk….Up….
    Beef……Up……
    Chicken….up.
    Dog food up….
    Cornflakes up….

for balance ! Some things ev gone darn , Tarn, Nancy and Eskberg , yella tail shiraz darn from 7parnd to 6 at Sainsberrys , and a real bargain Haddock&Chips + peys and scraps 10 parnd at M&S meal deal fo 2 , bloody luvlee ,

A remember when, as a Doduth urchin, a wo regularly sent art fo "three times and a large carton a peys" to Shaws on Station Rooad. They wo 3 and 6 (32p) I think, maybe less.
    Thuv gonnup since then. Ed to be put in two newspaper packages, wun fo fish an wun fo chips. Mi hands were black breet wi hot newspaper ink wenna gor ooam.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 28-05-2022 at 09:07 AM.

Just asking a question here .

Do our pensioners get the £400 discount off their fuel bill as announced this week and still get their normal winter fuel allowance ?

I think in the light of day my reply to Jules last night could be looked at the wrong way .

Of course I'm in favour of anybody struggling to pay their fuel bill receiving help .

I've been on my ass too , several times and know how hard it is .

I was kept in work by this very government paying me 80% of my wages for 6 months during covid .

It's just I'm not so sure the development announced this week is the way to go .

It's a supply and demand crisis that's led to this situation arising .

That's the problem that needs tackling .

Taxing the energy companies profits minimises their ability to invest and so finding a solution to the supply and demand crisis will only make that more difficult in my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just asking a question here .

Do our pensioners get the £400 discount off their fuel bill as announced this week and still get their normal winter fuel allowance ?
    I think so and I hope so Animal.

It still won't be enough to cover the £1400 rise in fuel bills this year, and probably more to come. We feel the cold more than you young 'uns.

If tha looking for unfairness focus on the rich also receiving the £400 plus a double amount if they have a second home. It is paid per household so Rishi would have got £1200 for his three homes though I hear he has played the caring card and is donating his money to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I think so and I hope so Animal.

It still won't be enough to cover the £1400 rise in fuel bills this year, and probably more to come. We feel the cold more than you young 'uns.

If tha looking for unfairness focus on the rich also receiving the £400 plus a double amount if they have a second home. It is paid per household so Rishi would have got £1200 for his three homes though I hear he has played the caring card and is donating his money to charity.
    Well I sincerely hope you do get your normal Winter Fuel Allowance SB because my view is that it forms part of your state pension of which you've contributed all your working life .

£6 yells tail! …. Wi mi discount that’s £5.40…. 25% off six….. that’s 4.10 a bottle………. That’s the £400 gas money gone nar.