+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings vs Grimsby (H)

Match Ratings vs Grimsby (H)

Thought it was worth doing ratings to distract from the frankly terrifying bigger picture (R*ds and Stags in playoff finals, stuck in the National League with our top scorer and manager heading for the door).

Also a weird game in that a number of individuals were outstanding, and some were massively below par. Plus it’ll be the last time we see a few of these:

Slocombe- 7.5 - No outstanding saves but very busy. Can’t recall a mistake. Don’t think he could’ve done anything about either goal.

Brindley - 7 - Usual assured display.
    Lacey - 9 - Colossus, one of his best displays in a Notts shirt. Headed everything whilst remaining calm and assured on the deck.
    Cameron - 7.5 - Excellent display.

Richardson - 4 - Probably the worst game he’s played. Wasteful in good attacking positions and awful defensively. Stupid free kick to give away in the 96th minute. Without that act of lunacy, we go through to play Wrexham.

Roberts - N/A - Gutted for him.
    Palmer - 8 - Ended up being our best midfielder going forward, and the one needed to protect the back four. Set piece delivery on the money. Seriously hope he’s not been given the same contractual clause Reeves had.
    O’Brien - 6 - Couldn’t really impact the game as Grimsby won the midfield battle overall.

Chicksen - 9* - Best performance as a Notts County player. Absolutely first class in all aspects, particularly after picking up an injury following all 3 subs. Never stopped. Has made himself undroppable.

Rodrigues - 7 - Clearly injured which obviously impacted him. Great penalty. How typical we lose both Rodrigues and Roberts to injury in the game that matters?!

Wootton - 6 - Has been a great signing but disappointed in his last game. Offered little beyond a few headers at defensive set pieces.

Sam - 6 - Caused problems when he first came on but overall probably slightly more bad than good.

Francis - 6 - If/when he bulks up a bit there’s a player there.

Brunt - 7 - Probably his best display in a Notts shirt, albeit that’s not saying a lot.

Overall, completely gutting to lose in the manner we did. Both goals totally avoidable and coming at the worst times. But on balance hard to argue that Grimsby weren’t the better team over the 120 minutes. A massive summer for us ahead.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 23-05-2022 at 11:17 PM.

I hate to say this but it shows how long it is since I watched a Notts match that I honestly haven't heard of any of them and I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable on players at mos t clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Sam - 6 - Caused problems when he first came on but overall probably slightly more bad than good.
    A 7 for Sam from me. More good than bad. It was his willingness to chase down a Grimsby defender and win the ball in a dangerous area that effectively won us the penalty.

Just basic ratings:

Slocombe 7*
    Brindley 6
    Lacey 7
    Cameron 6
    Richardson 5
    Roberts n/a
    Palmer 6
    JOB 6
    Chicksen 7
    Rodrigues 6
    Wootton 5.5

Sam 5.5
    Francis 6
    Brunt 6
    DKE n/a

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    A 7 for Sam from me. More good than bad. It was his willingness to chase down a Grimsby defender and win the ball in a dangerous area that effectively won us the penalty.
    He was also unlucky when he chased a ball and got us a corner in the first half of extra time

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    He was also unlucky when he chased a ball and got us a corner in the first half of extra time
    After just getting back from the match

IB = 3 out of 10

I posted long before this match, how IB was a poor manager , a bad replacement for Ardley, who in his time at Notts has not sorted out any problem, i also predicted Notts would be found out quickly in this play off process

Tonight another poor start, why are notts always so slow to start in play off matches. For the first 30 mins Notts were invisible, if grimsby would have had decent strikers we would have been slaughtered
    Its all very well Notts playing tippy tappy attractive football, but lets be frank tonight Notts would never have scored if the match was 8 hours long, unless it was a penelty
    What angered me in the 6 added on mins Notts got deeper and deeper, inviting pressure , and a mistake from clown Richardson , absolute disgrace

I also questened the Owners when they first took over, they purchased this club as a National league Club, they are happy with the club being a national league club, they have no ambition to return to the football league by investing in money or proven players or managers, it is all an experiment and a LONG TERM PLAN for them
    Trust me we are staying in the National league for the forseeable future

Slocombe 7
    Brindley 5
    Lacey 7
    Cameron 8*
    Richardson 4
    Roberts n/a
    Palmer 6
    JOB 6
    Chicksen 7
    Rodrigues 6
    Wootton 5

Sam 6.5
    Francis 5
    Brunt 7
    DKE n/a

Burchnall 5 (This is a season score for him as that has led to last night's display. He can leave for me but not sure I trust the Reedtz to appoint the right replacement)

Reedtz 5 (The recruitment last summer was terrible and not one new player has stood out or become regular apart from Cameron and Palmer and they were already good. Football radar are crap at their job)

Richardson as well, what the **** were you doing? Was probably in the box as well. What a clown.

The stand-out player for me was Chicksen. He gave it absolutely everything. Cameron and Lacey were also fairly solid.

I actually thought Sam did a good job. He chased the ball down and caused a bit of chaos here and there. I'd love to see more of him next season if he's still here.

As usual, we lost the midfield battle to a team that pressed us high and outfought us. Same old story. Unless we address the centre midfield area and bring in a couple of players who'll make us competitive without the ball, we'll never get anywhere in this league. I still have no idea what Francis is supposed to offer us.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The stand-out player for me was Chicksen. He gave it absolutely everything. Cameron and Lacey were also fairly solid.

I actually thought Sam did a good job. He chased the ball down and caused a bit of chaos here and there. I'd love to see more of him next season if he's still here.

As usual, we lost the midfield battle to a team that pressed us high and outfought us. Same old story. Unless we address the centre midfield area and bring in a couple of players who'll make us competitive without the ball, we'll never get anywhere in this league. I still have no idea what Francis is supposed to offer us.
    Thought Palmer had a good game also, but we definitely need two more in there to help him out. Midfield was lightweight and poor. Just invited pressure on our backline constantly.

I was impressed with Sam. As you say he brought some chaos, and created some decent chances. Just wish he was stronger in the air, he rarely seems to win a header!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast