+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Retained list

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    What if the youth arent good enough ??

All our good ones in last 5 years have been poached possibly another too who we offered a contract too.

I have moaned about youth not being given a chance in the past but some of them arent loyal either Etete, Bearne, Donga He.

Its a harsh call but do we need a youth set up in division 5 ??
    Exactly the game has changed, if their any good their gone before you even have chance to get them on a contract. For a prem side to stick them on 2 grand a week in the hope they might make it is absolutely peanuts with the money swilling around. Chelsea had about 30 plus players out on loan this season, this wasn’t happening 30 years ago when we actually had chance to keep the likes of Tommy and Drapes for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    What if the youth arent good enough ??

All our good ones in last 5 years have been poached possibly another too who we offered a contract too.

I have moaned about youth not being given a chance in the past but some of them arent loyal either Etete, Bearne, Donga He.

Its a harsh call but do we need a youth set up in division 5 ??
    I don’t think we have a youth set up - not since the EFL money dried up. We have players playing for “Notts County Academy”, but they’re not really Notts players like in the old days. That’s my understanding of it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I don’t think we have a youth set up - not since the EFL money dried up. We have players playing for “Notts County Academy”, but they’re not really Notts players like in the old days. That’s my understanding of it, anyway.
    Yeah think you are right.

The ones I named were all EFL players here remember the famous words of Big Al "He'd NEVER sell a youth player" as a dig at Ray Trew.

Fast forward a year he does the same 😂

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I loved his attitude too. Totally fearless and always willing to fly into tackles. That's the kind of player we need.
    I agree.

I'm shocked DKE has been released. He doesn't offer any height obviously, but he was one the few who really played with aggression and his work rate was never in question. His kind of attributes are ones we need more of, not less. I certainly hope we've got replacements lined up who can replace that competitive instinct.

Surprised at Lacey going too. A decent centre-half for this level and not a bad footballer, capable of hitting accurate medium to long passes.

Like I keep saying, the problem with the squad this season wasn't the players we had, it was the players we were missing, in terms of height, strength and aggression, mainly in midfield.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112