+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what lesson have been learned

Learned that in this League if you get a penalty from the referee for a handball you certainly won't get one for a nailed on handball in the same game. Now that would have killed the game off. Very poor refereeing.

I hope we're going to learn that to boss a game you need a strong midfield.
    Last season Jake Reeves ran his legs off because Doyle and JOB couldn't, this season Palmer's done the same because JOB and Francis couldn't.
    Up against the good teams with experienced managers we've been found out pretty much every time. Last night the loose balls were nearly all picked up by Grimsby, by never being in control we created very little for the strikers.
    Only Vincent tries to run beyond the strikers because he has the legs to do it and Burchnall seems to not rate him because he gives the ball away too often.
    We've had the strikers, we've had good enough defenders but we've packed dynamism in the middle two years running.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    What have we learnt?
    We're predictable, play out from the back, across the box, check back Chicksen had one foot goes 2 steps forward 3 back, soft at set pieces, slow, midfield has no steel, forward line not quick or mobile enough. Same as the last 4 seasons but those at the helm can't see it for some reason.

Throughout this season, we've learned absolutely nothing. Sorry, but it's true. Still too nice/soft, still can't defend, still too much going nowhere, tippy tappy, still need too many chances to score, still crumble when the going gets tough. Extremely sad but true.

Don’t mess about throwing beach balls on the pitch as the ref may add time where we could easily concede a very late goal.

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    Don’t mess about throwing beach balls on the pitch as the ref may add time where we could easily concede a very late goal.
    It was funny at the time though

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog View Post
    It was funny at the time though
    It really wasn't.

It seemed moronic then, and even more moronic with hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    Not to many I would say.
    1- our supporters need a bloody gold medal hanging round there necks for the loyalty they show this club
    Time after time we go again hoping we will get things right and get let down.
    A big well done notts fans see ya next season
    2-is it stating the obvious that we need a battler in the middle of the park or am I blind.
    So why don’t we do anything about it
    3- we play nice attractive football but this group,and maybe overplaying will not get you out of this league
    We’re to soft
    To say I’m gutted yet again is an understatement
    I just keep reliving our forest loanee pushing there player in the back
    1. Yes

2. You're not blind, you're correct. The midfield is a massive weakness in this team. We need a couple of big, strong, dominant 'animals' in there.

3. We play a style of football which is ridiculously over-complicated for the level we're at and the players we've got. It can look attractive at home against weaker teams, but for two (perhaps three) seasons running now it has seen us fall well short of the title challenge we should be capable of making. We're a 'nice' team for anyone half decent to play against, and that really angers me.

It's probably fair comment to say we haven't done enough about these failings so far, but this summer needs to the one where those lessons are learned. I've bought my season ticket, but I don't want to come back next season and see us play like a bunch of pretty boys. I don't mind seeing good, positive football in the right areas of the field, but I don't want to see us taking needless risks in our own half. I want to see a team that can go toe to toe with any opponent in this league in terms of physicality and aggression.

If IB can adapt and deliver such a team, then great. However, if he plans to subject us to another year of some sort of over-elaborate, purist football experiment, and if he can't coach a team to defend properly, then he might be as well heading to Nailsworth.
    Last edited by jackal2; 24-05-2022 at 06:12 PM.

My Mrs has learned not to bang on at me for not getting excited when we scored. She listened to the game with me for the first time ever and was surprised that I didn't do cartwheels when we scored. I told her to wait until the final whistle then I would smile. BANG!!! last kick of the friggin game and we implode as normal in the big games.
    In the 60+ years I have been an active Notts supporter this result has taken me to the lowest depths ever. I feel so depressed with last night and the never ending failure in recent years. Another year in the NL and no real hope, or expectation, of anything really positive happening next season. How the hell is Notts bloody County FC in such a crap state?

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    In the 60+ years I have been an active Notts supporter this result has taken me to the lowest depths ever. I feel so depressed with last night and the never ending failure in recent years. Another year in the NL and no real hope, or expectation, of anything really positive happening next season. How the hell is Notts bloody County FC in such a crap state?
    I've supported the club for almost 40 years and whilst I'm disappointed with last night, I've felt far more downhearted in the past when the club has been on the very brink of going out of business. The worst moment was probably at the end of a game with Luton Town when it looked as though it would be our last and grown men were crying in the stands. I can remember the long-serving tannoy announcer (Roger Hill?) barely able to speak the words 'We hope to see you again at the next game'. Of course, it turned out that a wonderful saviour called Haydn Green would come to our rescue, but few knew it at that moment.

At present I feel there's stability off the pitch and we've had three years as promotion contenders on the pitch. Yes, I want us to be promotion winners, not just contenders, given the size of the club and the league we're in, but I'm positive that with a few tweaks and adjustments we will eventually get it right and regain our league status.
    Last edited by jackal2; 24-05-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Notts County Football Club is now very firmly established as a non league club, it honestly doesn't feel like the same club that played in the top flight, had good seasons in the Second tier, it doesn't even feel like the same club that a decade ago should have got into the play offs in LEAGUE ONE. If you've all forgotten that's the 3rd tier of English football, a decent standard, I've watched several matches at Burton and Lincoln in that division this season and will do so again next year. I remember fans moaning about Keith Curle when Notts were in League One really knocking on the door for promotion and then it all fizzled away it makes me sick, I really do struggle to believe it's the same club. When I have to visit other towns/cities and I get chatting about football telling them I used to watch Notts they all ask the same question "what on earth has happened to that football club". Can anyone on here honestly say convincingly that Notts will ever play in the League again. I honestly thought the club was finished when they dropped out the league and I've been astonished by the attendances most higher than the League One days although I do think the Covid break has helped with that but say in 3/5 years time do people still think that 6/7000 people are gonna turn out to watch non league football.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast