+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Cook

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Bitta poetry (rhyming couplets) coming---

Ad be happy enough,
    Wi Michael Duff

Happy in my book,
    Wi Paul Cook

Avvit William Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I actually respect the bloke for taking the Chesterfield job , not many would be prepared to drop down to that level with his cv but it tells me he loves working with players and he loves managing .

I understand the reason Chesterfield fell away since his arrival from the top of the league was a load of injuries to key players and I suspect at that level the squad won't be the biggest .

At Ipswich he had a few quid but it didn't work out , it happens .

Warnock had fails at Oldham , Bury and Leeds United , it happens .

In my opinion Duff and Cook fit what plenty of supporters have been crying out for , know the league , experienced with promotions on their cv's .
    Yes fair points Animal. I'd still accept his arrival as manager, as I would if it was Duff or Clough. As you say, no-one gets it right all the time and maybe he's learnt a few lessons there along the way.

My view is that appointing Warnock would show real intent for next season. Tried, tested and generally successful.

The appointment of a manager with a patchy record or another who is relatively novicey would be a gamble not unlike the gambles taken before. I think the positive comments about other these candidates is based on the fact they are familiar with the English leagues and are British or have enjoyed a career in Britain.

The dilemma for our owners is that they gamble on all employees eventually making them a profit in the sell on market. Warnock wouldnt generate that value whereas the others might if successful.

However our new chairman has said results on the field are priority therefore the prudent appointment would be Warnock because of his history in the game.

Just my thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    My view is that appointing Warnock would show real intent for next season. Tried, tested and generally successful.

The appointment of a manager with a patchy record or another who is relatively novicey would be a gamble not unlike the gambles taken before. I think the positive comments about other these candidates is based on the fact they are familiar with the English leagues and are British or have enjoyed a career in Britain.

The dilemma for our owners is that they gamble on all employees eventually making them a profit in the sell on market. Warnock wouldnt generate that value whereas the others might if successful.

However our new chairman has said results on the field are priority therefore the prudent appointment would be Warnock because of his history in the game.

Just my thoughts on this.
    Be nice wouldn't it Eths and certainly not beyond the realms of possibility

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Be nice wouldn't it Eths and certainly not beyond the realms of possibility
    I think it would be short term Pass but could he bring experience, success and professional development of other staff to the club?
    I think so but nothing is guaranteed.

Theres also the matter of re-enthusing the fan base and the possibility of a quick return to Championship level might just kick start that process.

Its up to the owners to show their hand.

Im not sure if Colin would be expensive for a start, and it might only be on-loan for a season of course.
    But if we could sell the club to somebody like him, tell him our ambitions of hoping to be competitive again, and that we're hoping for a top 6 finish.
    And promise him he will be the one who picks players and tactics, and that there will be no interference from the 'owners' anymore.
    Ive said many times that I don't like the bloke, but its not a popularity contest. And I want the best for the club first of all, and he really could be a massive appointment and it would show us a big statement of intent.
    It could be like Clarkie and 1978 all over again. 👍

Warnock has RETIRED, He won’t be coming out of retirement he’s said it himself!!!
    I watched the Halifax v Chesterfield game and the commentators were saying Cook has played 5 at the back since he arrived and they had gone about 8 games without scoring a goal, however injuries forced him to play 4 at the back last night and they looked like the team that flew to the top of the league earlier in the season, they were in control virtually the whole game.
    It sounds like what he did at Ipswich where he refused to change the tactics when losing games week in week out, which led to the sack! Looks like the injuries have cut him a break?
    Personally last night I didn’t like how he sent his team out, to maim the opponents, Chesterfield were lucky not to have two players sent off a Championship ref certainly would have sent them off! It was clearly kick them all over the pitch tactics, I like a bit of ****housery but this was over the top and don’t want to see us playing like that!
    So far it’s Duff for me but I’d love to see big Mick here.

Well to be honest, in't Mick even more of a ridiculous suggestion than Colin (Warnock) ?.

I don't think Cook would be a bad choice but that dun't sound good, going for out and out thuggery like that. There are better ways to win, than using dirty intimidation as your main/only tactic.

It does all point to Duff but you watch, they will probly shock us with some weird surprising name who we an't heard of. 😲

Warnock for me , he has the best record for promotions in the football league, if the prize for returning to the championship is something in the region of £7 million then dangle a carrot of say half a £million promotion bonus to him on a one year deal, his ego might not be able to resist such a challenge & it would certainly regenerate interest amongst our fan base & would confirm that the new look board are trying to get it right on the pitch .

Could be a car crash resulting in a Car knock,
    Well worth the risk though appointing Warnock.

Avvit Shakespeare. Best rhyming couplet writer my arse.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast