+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Sam

I think he was a good shot stopper & made a lot of great saves , but nowhere near the complete package, I think very replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by wba13 View Post
    I personally think some of you should look in the mirror, people in the business who know more about football than any one of us sore Sam as a top keeper. You lot look at him and see Villa. He Got us to the premiership he played for England and now he’s left.
    To be honest I’m glad he’s now left because now some of you won’t have him to scapegoat. So you’ll probably go back to Livermore another international you love scapegoating.
    Think of me what you want but I only do what a good supporter of any club will do that is SUPPORT.
    As for Bruce not my choice but will get behind him until he’s had a transfer window to put other managers mistakes right.
    Yes we support, but not blindly. We also have the right to give our opinions on players.

I have nothing against Johnstone, and wish him well for the future. But in my opinion he was a bang average goalkeeper, who was very lucky to play for England, because of a dearth of other top English GK options.

He had some good qualities, I actually thought his distribution and his shot stopping was okay, at times. As others have alluded to, the command of his area was very poor.

The main issue for me was his general demeanour, for a senior pro in the squad, just didn't look right. I lost count of the number of times we were chasing a goal and it seemed to take an eternity for him to take a goal kick. He was too casual, because he thought he was better with the ball at his feet than he actually was - the mistake vs Huddersfield epitomised it, and I felt that type of goal had been coming. He took a lot of unnecessary risk in games, when the ball was passed back to him.

Its been very rare where I think he has made game changing saves, even in the prem when many thought he had a good season I don't remember him actually gaining or saving us many points. His shots faced to goals conceded ratio this season must be awful.

I remember when we signed him and thought we had made a really shrewd signing. Overall, I thought his time with us was disappointing. I'd rather see one of our young GKs given a chance next season, I might be eating humble pie for saying this, but I don't see them being any worse than Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Yes we support, but not blindly. We also have the right to give our opinions on players.

I have nothing against Johnstone, and wish him well for the future. But in my opinion he was a bang average goalkeeper, who was very lucky to play for England, because of a dearth of other top English GK options.

He had some good qualities, I actually thought his distribution and his shot stopping was okay, at times. As others have alluded to, the command of his area was very poor.

The main issue for me was his general demeanour, for a senior pro in the squad, just didn't look right. I lost count of the number of times we were chasing a goal and it seemed to take an eternity for him to take a goal kick. He was too casual, because he thought he was better with the ball at his feet than he actually was - the mistake vs Huddersfield epitomised it, and I felt that type of goal had been coming. He took a lot of unnecessary risk in games, when the ball was passed back to him.

Its been very rare where I think he has made game changing saves, even in the prem when many thought he had a good season I don't remember him actually gaining or saving us many points. His shots faced to goals conceded ratio this season must be awful.

I remember when we signed him and thought we had made a really shrewd signing. Overall, I thought his time with us was disappointing. I'd rather see one of our young GKs given a chance next season, I might be eating humble pie for saying this, but I don't see them being any worse than Johnstone.

Very good post 123 and you are absolutely bang on with that assessment. The majority are rarely wrong!

Totally agree with 123 as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    He was one of the worst keepers we’ve ever had for commanding his box, his distribution was worse than Hermes and his decision making made Boris look like a genius.

Other than that he was brilliant.

Not fit to lace the boots of Osbourne, Godden, Kuscjack, Hoult or Foster.
    You can add Keily to the list.

A good keeper organises his defence and gives them the confidence that they are being marshalled, he also has good positioning so as not to leap around his box like a Salmon. There never seemed to be any kind of rapport between him and the defence.
    What do you expect Foster to say, Johnstone is a s hit keeper nowhere near as good as me?
    He is a good shot stopper yes, probably the reason he found employment as a goalkeeper.

Miserable looking git with a face like a spanked arse. Played the club like a fiddle last summer and never had any intention of signing the offered contract extension after lucking his way into the England squad through injuries.

West Ham bid £6,000,000 I believe, an offer which was turned down out of hand. Spurs were rumoured to have offered more but he apparently turned them down as he wasn't guaranteed a starting place.

Cost us some ridiculously embarrassing goals this season gone with hairbrained moments and sulked like a baby when he couldn't be number one after getting sent off stupidly.

Appeared to apply the final straw to break the camel's back in the dressing room, helped his manager get himself the sack and cost us goals against Huddersfield and Swansea on his return.

I'm of the opinion that having probaly made Sam Johnstone a millionaire for services rendered we've been short changed overall.

Honestly don't care what he does with the rest of his career, he certainly won't give a toss how any of us are going to pay our gas bills.

In short thanks for the reaction saves. As for the rest he can fk off. And if anyone's offended by that they can fk off too.

Quote Originally Posted by wba13 View Post
    I personally think some of you should look in the mirror, people in the business who know more about football than any one of us sore Sam as a top keeper. You lot look at him and see Villa. He Got us to the premiership he played for England and now he’s left.
    To be honest I’m glad he’s now left because now some of you won’t have him to scapegoat. So you’ll probably go back to Livermore another international you love scapegoating.
    Think of me what you want but I only do what a good supporter of any club will do that is SUPPORT.
    As for Bruce not my choice but will get behind him until he’s had a transfer window to put other managers mistakes right.
    He’s definitely not a top keeper. Proof is in the pudding that no premier league clubs have fought to get him and I struggle to see what premier league side would make him number 1. He’s proved this season to be at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Miserable looking git with a face like a spanked arse. Played the club like a fiddle last summer and never had any intention of signing the offered contract extension after lucking his way into the England squad through injuries.

West Ham bid £6,000,000 I believe, an offer which was turned down out of hand. Spurs were rumoured to have offered more but he apparently turned them down as he wasn't guaranteed a starting place.

Cost us some ridiculously embarrassing goals this season gone with hairbrained moments and sulked like a baby when he couldn't be number one after getting sent off stupidly.

Appeared to apply the final straw to break the camel's back in the dressing room, helped his manager get himself the sack and cost us goals against Huddersfield and Swansea on his return.

I'm of the opinion that having probaly made Sam Johnstone a millionaire for services rendered we've been short changed overall.

Honestly don't care what he does with the rest of his career, he certainly won't give a toss how any of us are going to pay our gas bills.

In short thanks for the reaction saves. As for the rest he can fk off. And if anyone's offended by that they can fk off too.

Love the post 68! A big f uck off from me too if anybody takes offence and none of the loyalty bollox as nobody wanted him unlike Ramsdale but hey he's off with speed now he's on a free to treble his wages! Pity that SPEED was not coming off his f uckin line and dithering around!

Thought he cost us promotion in his first season – really terrible under Big Dave and Jones’s tactics Filling Fosters shoes was a big act to follow, but blimey he was shocking that season.
    Thankfully improved under Bilic
    Surprised me in the premiership, actually saved us some points rather than Losing them
    Think he is an average championship keeper.
    Most pundits and outsiders only see those decent saves caught on camera watching from edited highlights. What they don’t see is the panic in our defence when defending corner or free kicks. The constant throw-ins conceded to the opposition from his goal kicks as they hit the advertising boards, time and time again.
    For me it’s his attitude, never has been a WBA man in his heart and its shows

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)